Wish Option to link AMP and CAB channels

What if they added switch options for multi-channel changes to the FC's. Instead of having dedicated channel switch functions for each block type, use the same functions for all blocks with channels and then the user could choose which blocks are the targets for that particular switch.

So, for example, instead of having separate amp and cab block channel +1 and -1 switches, you'd have multi-channel +1 and -1 switches that you could select both the amp and cab blocks (or whatever else) as targets and they'd all change together.

You could maybe do the same for bypass switch functions as well. A multi-bypass switch function where you could select multiple block types as the target for that switch and they would all enable and bypass at the same time.

Another way to handle this which would be even more generic is if we could assign multiple actions to the same FC action. Helix does this already: It's more of an event-subscriber model than a direct assignment.

Consider this: you program FC switch 1 to increment Amp1 channel, and increment Cab1 channel. Or you configure it to increment Amp1 channel, and bypass Drive1. Or you configure it to Select Scene 5, and move to Layout 3 on the FC. This would be hugely powerful and would cover all the cases in this thread and more.

I think the idea is taken a little too far now. The Amp+Cab suggestion is simple and is logical because of the close relationship between the two. To “multI-switch” other blocks too, we can already use scenes, or use a specific routing.

The design ethos of the Axe FX doesn't seem to be hyper specific special cases. It's finding generic implementations that can cause improvements across the whole system. That's why ever model has a Fat switch instead of just the amps that really have one, etc. That's why FC layouts are customization instead of just having some preset ones to choose from.

If you implemented an Amp+Cab channel linking, you'd need to creating the logic to allow multiple channels to be kept in sync, increments, selected at the same time. You'd need the UI on the Amp and/or cab to let you choose which other amp and/or cab to link to. You can't just say Amp1 has to link to Cab1, what if Amp1 needs to link to Cab1 AND Cab2, or 1 to 2 and 2 to 1? So now you have the logic implemented to let a change to a channel on block X update the channel on block Y, and the UI to let someone choose what X or Y is. You're 90% of the way there to just making it generic and covering so many more use cases.

Another way to handle this which would be even more generic is if we could assign multiple actions to the same FC action. Helix does this already: It's more of an event-subscriber model than a direct assignment.

Consider this: you program FC switch 1 to increment Amp1 channel, and increment Cab1 channel. Or you configure it to increment Amp1 channel, and bypass Drive1. Or you configure it to Select Scene 5, and move to Layout 3 on the FC. This would be hugely powerful and would cover all the cases in this thread and more.
This is basically what Control Switches do, but their functionality is somewhat more limited. If it was increased to also increment or toggle Scenes and Channels that would make them even more powerful.

Hey that's a good point. If they made the block's Channel modifier assignable, you could use a control switch to make those changes on several blocks at once. Value range for start and end in the modifier could be 1-4 for A through D or even ranges like 0-25=A, 26-50=B, 51-75=C, 76-100=D.

You can already control bypass on multiple blocks using a Control Switch since the bypass parameter is modifier assignable.

I wonder if a Control Switch's MIDI payload could be used to control channels somehow too with a MIDI loopback.

I'm reposting an old wish of mine.

I'd like to be able to link Amp and Cab channels in a preset.

This would allow me to switch from (e.g.) a Fender amp model (channel A) to a Marshall model (channel B), and have the Cab block automatically switch along, from a Fender cab (channel A) to a Marshall cab (channel B).

To keep things simple, this would be limited to this:
AMP Channel A = CAB Channel A
AMP Channel B = CAB Channel B
AMP Channel C = CAB Channel C
AMP Channel D = CAB Channel D

It would require just one action instead of multiple.
+1

I think that while this idea is simple to understand, having "scene channels" or something similar would accomplish this functionality and also a bunch of other stuff that people are wanting.

For me the ideal solution would be two separate sets of scenes that worked independently from each other (Scene 1-8 A and Scene 1-8 B). Each block would have a drop down that selected between three options: None, scene A or scene B.
To work as it does now you would just select Scene A on all blocks (this could be default). If you want to be able to change scenes without changing a block state set that block to none. If you want to change amp and cab setting independently from other FX set amp and cab to scene B.

This would be fairly simple to understand and would open up a world of options! I am currently using control switches to do something similar but it is much more difficult to set up and not as flexible.

++++1!

I would really love this as well!
I actually thought about the idea of how it would be cool if there was a new block called "Rig", where it would be similar to something like an amp sim plugin - keeping it simple with just amp and cabinet, but having the amp section of the block have all the tabs on the left as it normally does for the amp, but then take the cabinet tabs from the cab block and lay them horizontally across the top of the "Rig" block. Then you would never have to leave a block to audition amps and cabs; it could all be done right there in the same block. Channels would have a linking parameter in them should you choose to do so, and the FC could have a "Rig" channel button.

This of course probably is SO far out of my scope of understanding in terms of programming and reworking things that I'm sure that would be a non option hahah or an Axe Fx 4 thing (or later maybe? :p) but I thought I would throw it out there because it's been crossing my mind, and then I came across this wish list, which I would love to have for the same ideas Yek mentioned (linking amp and cab channels).

I'm reposting an old wish of mine.

I'd like to be able to link Amp and Cab channels in a preset.

This would allow me to switch from (e.g.) a Fender amp model (channel A) to a Marshall model (channel B), and have the Cab block automatically switch along, from a Fender cab (channel A) to a Marshall cab (channel B).

To keep things simple, this would be limited to this:
AMP Channel A = CAB Channel A
AMP Channel B = CAB Channel B
AMP Channel C = CAB Channel C
AMP Channel D = CAB Channel D

It would require just one action instead of multiple.
This wish gave me the inspiration to embed the option in my pedalboard. It works very good and is easy to implement. I also created the option to change the CAB channels seperately from the AMP.

I do not own a RJM Mastermind, but my guess is that this could easily be implemented in the RJM framework for Fractal products. Did you request this option at RJM?

Back
Top Bottom