Wish Option to link AMP and CAB channels

+1

Not trying to hijack this, but I also missed this function in the III. That's why my MX Midi footcontrollers have this special function included.

Cool feature, Patrick!

Cool feature, Patrick!
Like your original request though, should be generic -- make this block's channel follow that block.

Example: I'll often have a drive block that sounds best with some net gain, so it pushes the amp input harder, and I'll use an EQ block after the amp to compensate. It'd be great if that EQ block's channel would follow the drive block.

Love the idea, if it can be implemented in a way that makes sense. I don't know about the underlying coding necessary, but on the surface it could be as easy as a dropdown box "Link channels to..." which lets you pick from a list of the other blocks in the preset.

Not sure what would happen if you manually changed the drive or cab block. Maybe setting the link would disable the ability to change them manually. Or, you could still change the drive or cab manually, but as soon as you change the amp, every linked block would re-align (like how scenes work). I also don't know what would happen if you tried to set up different (not aligned) channels in your scenes - if going to Scene 3 set your amp to channel B, could you also tell it to switch the drive to channel C? That would seem to blow up the coding logic which says when the amp switches to B, then so does the drive.

Love the idea, if it can be implemented in a way that makes sense. I don't know about the underlying coding necessary, but on the surface it could be as easy as a dropdown box "Link channels to..." which lets you pick from a list of the other blocks in the preset.

Not sure what would happen if you manually changed the drive or cab block. Maybe setting the link would disable the ability to change them manually. Or, you could still change the drive or cab manually, but as soon as you change the amp, every linked block would re-align (like how scenes work). I also don't know what would happen if you tried to set up different (not aligned) channels in your scenes - if going to Scene 3 set your amp to channel B, could you also tell it to switch the drive to channel C? That would seem to blow up the coding logic which says when the amp switches to B, then so does the drive.
The way your first paragraph describes it is how I imagine it working - a simple 'follow this block' setting.

Imagine a marching band on the field.

The 'leader of the parade' would still be subject to following the channel chosen in the scene and/or channel switching switch. The rest of the 'parade' would follow the leader.

The 'parade' could be a single-column march, a multiple-column march, or a 'line search' all following the lead block in one wide row.

If some block in the middle of a column in the 'parade' was channel-switched, the part of the 'parade' following it would switch, per the 'follow this block' principle. When the leader of the 'parade' was channel-switched again, the blocks following it would re-sync with it (again, the 'follow this block' thing).

The unit would just have to check for and prevent circular paths during the setup process.. Certainly, by now, there must be a code snippet out there that checks for circular references in linked lists of pointers, given that pointers were old news in the '80s when I was in the CSC program....

Last edited:
What if they added switch options for multi-channel changes to the FC's. Instead of having dedicated channel switch functions for each block type, use the same functions for all blocks with channels and then the user could choose which blocks are the targets for that particular switch.

So, for example, instead of having separate amp and cab block channel +1 and -1 switches, you'd have multi-channel +1 and -1 switches that you could select both the amp and cab blocks (or whatever else) as targets and they'd all change together.

You could maybe do the same for bypass switch functions as well. A multi-bypass switch function where you could select multiple block types as the target for that switch and they would all enable and bypass at the same time.

Last edited:
What if they added switch options for multi-channel changes to the FC's. Instead of having dedicated channel switch functions for each block type, use the same functions for all blocks with channels and then the user could choose which blocks are the targets for that particular switch.

So, for example, instead of having separate amp and cab block channel +1 and -1 switches, you'd have multi-channel +1 and -1 switches that you could select both the amp and cab blocks (or whatever else) as targets and they'd all change together.

You could maybe do the same for bypass switch functions as well. A multi-bypass switch function where you could select multiple block types as the target for that switch and they would all enable and bypass at the same time.
I like it. More straightforward logically than potentially circular following of another block. Harder to build UI on the unit to pick multiple blocks to affect. Maybe max of 4, to make that easier?

So, if I understand you correctly, a new channel switch type, or an updated channel switch, that lets you choose to poke at more than one block's channels?

That's an interesting thought, and a fresh take on how to approach the idea.

A multi-select dropdown list could let you choose the items you want to switch channels on, and the switch would send "Channel A", "Channel B", "Channel C", or "Channel D" to all the selected blocks.

Yeah, maybe adding some FC switch functions like:

Multi-Block Channel Select (choose channel A, B, C or D on any selected block targets)
Multi-Block Channel +1 (increment current channel on selected block targets)
Multi-Block Channel -1 (decrement current channel on selected block targets)
Multi-Block Channel Toggle (toggle between two channels on any selected block targets)
Multi-Block Bypass (toggle bypass/enable on any selected block targets)

The tricky part that comes to mind for the +1 and -1 functions is what happens when different blocks are on different channels when you hit the switch. So say the Amp block is on channel A and the cab block is on Channel B. Hitting Multi-Block Channel +1 might then put the Amp block on channel B and the cab block on Channel C. I suppose you could maybe have it override all the target blocks to the same channel based on which is first in the target list. In that case, if the amp block is first in the target list, the cab block would first change to whatever channel the Amp block is on, and then increment both to stay synced up.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd think something like

Multi-Channel Select (choose channel A, B, C or D on any selected block targets)
Multi-Channel +1 (increment current channel on selected block targets)
Multi-Channel -1 (decrement current channel on selected block targets)
Multi-Channel Toggle (toggle between two channels on any selected block targets)
Multi-Block Bypass (toggle bypass/enable on any selected block targets)

The tricky part that comes to mind for the +1 and -1 functions is what happens when different blocks are on different channels when you hit the switch. So say the Amp block is on channel A and the cab block is on Channel B. Hitting Multi-Channel +1 might then put the Amp block on channel B and the cab block on Channel C. I suppose you could maybe have it override all the target blocks to the same channel based on which is first in the target list. In that case, if the amp block is first in the target list, the cab block would first change to whatever channel the Amp block is on, and then increment both to stay synced up.
That is a conundrum.

I'd say it should just not advance and further if any of the blocks come to either end.

Really if you're using this capability you'd have the set of blocks designed to work together, probably all using the same channels.

I think the idea is taken a little too far now. The Amp+Cab suggestion is simple and is logical because of the close relationship between the two. To “multi-switch” other blocks too, we can already use scenes, or use a specific routing.

How about my "drive block before the amp, EQ after" scenario? I do that all the time, with scenes, but it'd be great to be able to just change channels on both of them within each scene.

How about my "drive block before the amp, EQ after" scenario? I do that all the time, with scenes, but it'd be great to be able to just change channels on both of them within each scene.
The Amp block has Drive and output EQ already built in.

The Amp block has Drive and output EQ already built in.
I think you missed the context of the post you're replying to. I'm aware of the drive and output EQ parameters in the amp block.

I'm talking about having a variation of a scene that changes channels on a drive block, and changes channels on an EQ after the amp to compensate for volume changes.

The wishlist feature being discussed would make it easier for a footswitch to change channels on both blocks at once.

Last edited:
I think the idea is taken a little too far now. The Amp+Cab suggestion is simple and is logical because of the close relationship between the two. To “multI-switch” other blocks too, we can already use scenes, or use a specific routing.
Ah, but it's a wish. A number of people have asked for something along this line over the course of at least a year, as well as asking for more scenes. It could be done with more scenes, but then, with just 8 (already not enough for some), you start to run out of them.

This wish would allow for a 'scene within a scene' and likely would alleviate the need for more scenes (and more scene buttons) by effectively multiplying the number of scenes by the number of channel-switched effects groups in a preset.

There's a drawback with Scenes: they affect other blocks too.
Where the beauty of this concept is that you can just change the Amp, and have only the Cab change too.
How is your intention to switch channels ...incremental or dedicated switches....or? ...(curious)

How is your intention to switch channels ...incremental or dedicated switches....or? ...(curious)

Just like it's done already now. The wish doesn't require changes regarding switches.

Just like it's done already now. The wish doesn't require changes regarding switches.
I realize that 👍....I change amp channels via scenes .... Are you in addition ...have as an additional option changing amp channels by assigning a switch or switches? I see outside of scenes changing amp channels and having cab channels change to an appropriate or desired cab with one tap.

Back
Top Bottom