Ooooh... Charts and Graphs Redux

I can t understand nothing about everything has been said in this thread except.. Is there still an area to work in order to improve fractal sonically speaking? Is this the maximum?

That would depend on how the amp sounds were recorded. Microphone choice and position, or direct in. These graphs also don't take into account people's personal captures of the competing product which is its major selling point. I don't think they are trying to compete with Fractal as much as they are trying to bump Kemper out of the way. I had a side by side setup with the new against my kemper. Sold the kemper. Had the intention of keeping both my Fractal and the new one but after finding how far behind the effects were, I dumped it. Fractal alone now.
This is just a comparison of amp models. No speakers or mics involved. It's a measure of how accurate the frequency response of the amp model alone is. Captures/profiles will likely be more accurate same as a Tone Match will be more accurate.

That cliff-drop (pun not intended!) in the blue curve looks to me like a low-pass filter being engaged somewhere in the amp model.

In fairness the accuracy above 10 kHz isn't terribly important as the cab filters out most of that anyways. The critical band is 50 Hz - 10 kHz.

I know what you say is generally true, but the cumulative effect of so many high-cuts is often noticeable to me. Case in point - I bought a Fryette Powerstation 100 recently. To put my modellers through it. But I noticed the amp models were not as bright and aggressive as my real amps, nor as aggressive as the units sounded going direct to my Apollo.

So as it turned out, the PS100 filters a lot of high frequencies. So no only did I have the cab to contend with, but also the poweramp. It sounded too dark.

I sent it back in the end, and got a Suhr Reactive Load IR, which has a hi-cut function that you can disable. Much more to my tastes. I often feel that the aggressive 'take your face off' aspects of a cranked Marshall amp can have a lot of info in the 10-14kHz region. I've never measured it though, so I could be talking horsepucky.

Also the roll-off begins around 8kHz to me on the blue curve; way too low for me!

Last edited:
I know what you say is generally true, but the cumulative effect of so many high-cuts is often noticeable to me. Case in point - I bought a Fryette Powerstation 100 recently. To put my modellers through it. But I noticed the amp models were not as bright and aggressive as my real amps, nor as aggressive as the units sounded going direct to my Apollo.

So as it turned out, the PS100 filters a lot of high frequencies. So no only did I have the cab to contend with, but also the poweramp. It sounded too dark.

I sent it back in the end, and got a Suhr Reactive Load IR, which has a hi-cut function that you can disable. Much more to my tastes. I often feel that the aggressive 'take your face off' aspects of a cranked Marshall amp can have a lot of info in the 10-14kHz region. I've never measured it though, so I could be talking horsepucky.

Also the roll-off begins around 8kHz to me on the blue curve; way too low for me!
Not my experience with the PS-100 at all. I find it has a very marginal effect if I run my real tube amps through it vs running direct to a cab at the same volume. The line out to me sounds no different from my Bluetone Loadbox which like the PS-100 has a very marginal effect on the behavior of the real amp. When used with a modeler to the PS-100 line in I find that turning off the speaker impedance modeling on the FM3 helps it behave more like tube amps do when hooked up to it. Otherwise you can get weird low end response or overhyped lows and highs. I use a somewhat uncommon 4x10 cab so this might be less noticeable on a 4x12 that is used by most amp models as the speaker impedance curve.

Suhr RL models its reactiveness around a specific 4x12 cab impedance curve so maybe that's what you find more to your liking?

Not my experience with the PS-100 at all. I find it has a very marginal effect if I run my real tube amps through it vs running direct to a cab at the same volume. The line out to me sounds no different from my Bluetone Loadbox which like the PS-100 has a very marginal effect on the behavior of the real amp. When used with a modeler to the PS-100 line in I find that turning off the speaker impedance modeling on the FM3 helps it behave more like tube amps do when hooked up to it. Otherwise you can get weird low end response or overhyped lows and highs. I use a somewhat uncommon 4x10 cab so this might be less noticeable on a 4x12 that is used by most amp models as the speaker impedance curve.

Suhr RL models its reactiveness around a specific 4x12 cab impedance curve so maybe that's what you find more to your liking?

It's a bit of a derailment, apologies everyone. But there's definitely a high-end roll-off with the PS-100. It's part of their circuit, I remember reading about it on tgp when I was researching. Even when opening the presence all the way.

I got the unit as a loadbox and as a poweramp for the Quad Cortex (which I am selling to get an Axe III) and I just wasn't happy with that high-end roll-off. Was very noticeable to my ears.

Here's another comparison between the real amp (green), Axe-Fx (purple) and Product B (blue). I've reduced the sweep frequency so the first three harmonics are captured. The reason the Axe-Fx looks "better" than the amp is because there's less thermal noise than the real amp.

View attachment 89068
The continued mentioning of "sweep frequency" still has me mildly confused. I thought you were hitting it with a fixed-frequency impulse and then watching what happened through the full range of 20-20k. It appears the stimulus frequency has dropped lower, to allow more harmonics to reveal themselves. Perhaps you are hitting it with a narrow-ish sweep rather than single-frequency imuplse and that's my only point of confusion?

ya the term harmonic content is about as useful as saying a left handed screwdriver. I have no bones with people who say "in this particular instance from the samples provided, A sounds better than B to my ears based on the current settings. " But to jump to conclusions and say that one product is better based on that is asinine.
It's used quite a bit on these forums as well. Just do a search for the term. I have no idea what it means but others sure use the term a lot.

The continued mentioning of "sweep frequency" still has me mildly confused. I thought you were hitting it with a fixed-frequency impulse and then watching what happened through the full range of 20-20k. It appears the stimulus frequency has dropped lower, to allow more harmonics to reveal themselves. Perhaps you are hitting it with a narrow-ish sweep rather than single-frequency imuplse and that's my only point of confusion?
It's a narrow band sweep, i.e. 6-8 kHz. If you use just a single frequency the aliasing products can be higher or lower so by sweeping over a small range you excite all the possible aliasing products.

So if we sweep, say 6-8 kHz, then we'll get the fundamental at 6-8 kHz, the second-order harmonic at 12-16 kHz, the third order harmonic at 18-24 kHz, etc.

Anything between those frequencies and below 6 kHz is noise. In the case of the real amp measurement there's some thermal noise (because amps can be noisy when the gain is turned up). In the case of Product B that's not thermal noise but aliasing noise. Thermal noise is hiss. Aliasing noise is correlated. If you play a single note you'll hear an intermodulation tone. When you play chords you get a sort of fizzy static.

This is as absolutely fascinating. Gripping, almost.

I have a question and "prefer to take my answer offline." In other words, not attempting to derail this thread with this question:

@FractalAudio, I've been extremely curious as to how amp modeling actually works. Without asking you for any proprietary/IP details, can you point me to a resource explaining how this is actually done?

At first I guessed it would be like an amp version of a cab-IR shot, but I suppose that would only provide a model of the amp in one state. How do you incorporate all the different amp settings and differences in caps, pots, transformers, etc.? Is it approximation based on, you know, "graphs and charts" or do you have to sweep the controls while recording the amp's response metrics?
Or is there a framework of a tube circuit that you kinda fill in the data like a driving sim might approximate a car's performance allowing for tire grip, weight/balance, surface grip, etc. in their physics modeler? I can only imagine but the huge mystery to me is how the final product includes tweakable parameters while still being true to the amp being modeled.

If it's too technical I won't get it, but at the moment (as you can see) I cannot even speak intelligently on the issue because there is so little I actually know about the paradigm.

This is as absolutely fascinating. Gripping, almost.

I have a question and "prefer to take my answer offline." In other words, not attempting to derail this thread with this question:

@FractalAudio, I've been extremely curious as to how amp modeling actually works. Without asking you for any proprietary/IP details, can you point me to a resource explaining how this is actually done?

At first I guessed it would be like an amp version of a cab-IR shot, but I suppose that would only provide a model of the amp in one state. How do you incorporate all the different amp settings and differences in caps, pots, transformers, etc.? Is it approximation based on, you know, "graphs and charts" or do you have to sweep the controls while recording the amp's response metrics?
Or is there a framework of a tube circuit that you kinda fill in the data like a driving sim might approximate a car's performance allowing for tire grip, weight/balance, surface grip, etc. in their physics modeler? I can only imagine but the huge mystery to me is how the final product includes tweakable parameters while still being true to the amp being modeled.

If it's too technical I won't get it, but at the moment (as you can see) I cannot even speak intelligently on the issue because there is so little I actually know about the paradigm.
There are multiple ways to model an amp. The Fractal way involves modeling the individual components in the circuit.

I won't respond beyond that, because this really is a derailment.

You don't understand the meaning of the graphs. Ideally there should be NOTHING between the plateaus. Anything between is noise and/or aliasing. The amp has lots of thermal noise (hiss). The Axe-Fx has less thermal noise and nearly no aliasing.
Here's another comparison between the real amp (green), Axe-Fx (purple) and Product B (blue). I've reduced the sweep frequency so the first three harmonics are captured. The reason the Axe-Fx looks "better" than the amp is because there's less thermal noise than the real amp.

View attachment 89068
Is this the result of a sweep or a single frequency? If a sweep, you don't mean 20-20k but something narrower?

I think "sweep" might be confusing some commenters into thinking this is a full spectrum response...

Is this the result of a sweep or a single frequency? If a sweep, you don't mean 20-20k but something narrower?

I think "sweep" might be confusing some commenters into thinking this is a full spectrum response...
Reread the first paragraph of post 152. ;)

What is done to improve aliasing performance? Is it as simple as higher oversampling or is it more complicated under the hood?

What is done to improve aliasing performance? Is it as simple as higher oversampling or is it more complicated under the hood?
Higher oversampling is the most common approach. There is a technique known as anti-derivative anti-aliasing. The problem with that is it really only works with waveshaper approaches. You use the anti-derivative of your waveshaper function and then take the derivative of the result.

You use the anti-derivative of your waveshaper function and then take the derivative of the result.
d/dx of the integral of f(t)dt from 0 to t (that's hard to type out) is just f(x) isn't it? What's the benefit of doing it that way over just using f(x), does it sort of "normalize" the data?

Back
Top Bottom