Only a 12 month warranty?

squidlips

I'm suprised to find out that the units only have a 12 month parts and labour warranty. I thought 24 was pretty standard, almost like the bare minimum. I'm assuming you can't extend the warranty or anything like that.. I guess I could insure my unit or something. Any of your guys that arn't rich got a good backup plan if things go pear shaped? :p

Warrantees are a good thing but to be honest a year is fine. I have had my unit for a wile 2+ years and haven't had any issues. I think Cliff has built the Axe to be pretty robust so aside from spilling water on it or throwing it off a cliff most should not have any problems long after the warranty has expired.

Line 6 = 1 year
eleven rack = 1 year
boss gt10 -either a year or 5 yrs hard to tell.
vox tonelab = 1 year
eventide eclipse= 1 year
digitech = 1 year typically

My credit card company doubles all manufacturer warranties up to one year on all purchases made with their card. One of their benefits. I've called them immediately after the purchase, and done paperwork on things like computers, but its not required. I've never had anything that needed warranty work, so I've never had to use it. I never purchase extended warranties because of this benefit.

Check your credit card benefits, most of them do this. Then buy the Axe and don't worry about it! :D

My VG99 warranty was 1yr parts, 3 months labor.
My screen went bad 3 days before the 12 months was up.
Called vendor and was told the screen would be free, but I'd have to pay labor.
Vendors labor rate (+ shipping both directions) was more than the local authorized repair facility.
Took it to the local guy (whom I knew anyway). Got it back 3 weeks later - NO CHARGE !!
Vendor picked up the ENTIRE TAB !

I FULLY expect FAS would do the same... given the level of service I've seen them provide to others, both domestic and international (G66).
Don't think you have anything to worry about in that area.

g66 gives a full warranty for 24 months for all fractal and Atomic products, and this includes shipping to them and back to the customer.
In case something goes wrong with a product in the first three months, they take it back and send a new one.
and they also have a 100% money back guarantee in case you are not totally happy with your gear within the first 15 days.

We in europe pay more than you but we have a great warranty policy (and some chocolates too !)

More than fair. Considering the amount of actual issues with the box, 99% of most will never need it.

Cliff has also been forthright and has had no problems fixing any defects that came from manufacturing issues (faulty PROM's, etc) that have nothing to do with him. REGARDLESS of purchase date...I doubt he even checks.

Ron

Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?
Tommy Boy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

Attachments

• Tommy_Boy.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 430
A year should be long enough to bring out any manufacturing defect. That's what warranties are for.
But AFAICR, aside from the eproms in a couple of machines and an output opamp, maybe a rotary encoder somewhere, and some inputs that were too loose... Nothing ever seriously broke yet. And those things got fixed real nicely too.

alcaldwell said:
Tommy Boy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

I can't believe that guy called me a psycho.......did you see yourself in there? you are a psycho

Well it appears my fears were unfounded. I keep trying to find negatives about this product, but as of yet I've yet to really hear anything of substance. Amazing price point for the features, crazy compact, sonic bliss across a huge range of tones, great customer service, build quality.. can I buy shares in Fractal? :lol:

I too was very disappointed about the 1 year warranty. This almost prevented me from buying it.

The line 6, digitech and 11 rac may be one year, but they don't cost 2000$.

My thinking is that if someone says, well it will last without any issues, then I say make the warranty longer. If it will last this should not be a problem.

My Mesa amps all came with 5 year warranties (not counting tubes). And there is a whole lot more that can go wrong in a tube amp even if you don't count the tubes.

It appears there is very little that could go wrong with the axe. My first purchase after the axe was a furman power conditioner.

I do know though that if they did offer an extended warranty in the 100$ price range that added a few years, I would probably purchase it.

sarge said:
I too was very disappointed about the 1 year warranty. This almost prevented me from buying it.

My thinking is that if someone says, well it will last without any issues, then I say make the warranty longer. If it will last this should not be a problem.

My Mesa amps all came with 5 year warranties (not counting tubes). And there is a whole lot more that can go wrong in a tube amp even if you don't count the tubes.

It appears there is very little that could go wrong with the axe. My first purchase after the axe was a furman power conditioner.

I do know though that if they did offer an extended warranty in the 100$ price range that added a few years, I would probably purchase it.

The axe-fx isn't a poweramp. Compare it with similar multi-effects units(that is what it is).Look at a the effect units in its class

Eventide Eclipse ($2000) = 1yr
Eventide H8000 ($5500) - 1yr
Lexicom PCM96 ($3000) = 1 yr
TC Electronic G-System = 1 yr (2 yrs in EU)

! year appears to be pretty much the standard for a multi-effects unit in the US regardless of price.

Moreover, most companies (my experience with Fractal has been no different) will repair units even out of warranty for very little (or no) cost. My MOTU 828mkII dies after the warranty expired. The gave me a replacement unit for $50 shipped.

alcaldwell said:

We think alike. When I read the original post this was the first thing that came to mind.

sarge said:
My Mesa amps all came with 5 year warranties
What Mesa doesn't tell you and you would never know if you don't read the fine print and understand lawyer speak is that as soon as you make money using the product your warranty is void.

It's called a professional use clause.

Well, at least it doesn't come with a "shrink-wrap" license and warranty.

You know.. the one that's always INSIDE the CD that has the sticky label across the sleeve that states "By opening the contents of this CD, you agree to the terms and conditions listed in the license" - or words to that effect.
You know.. the one that says that it may, or may not do what it's supposed to do out of the box, and if it doesn't "it ain't our fault", and you can't take us to court if it doesn't and we warranty the product for one HOUR after you open it...yada, yada, yada??
THE SOFTWARE AND ACCOMPANYING WRITTEN MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED “AS IS”
WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED OF ANY KIND, AND PUBLISHER
SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS THE WARRANTIES OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
AND MERCHANTABILITY.

NEITHER PUBLISHER NOR ANYONE ELSE WHO HAS BEEN INVOLVED IN THE CREATION,
PRODUCTION OR DELIVERY OF THE SOFTWARE SHALL BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT,
CONSEQUENTIAL, OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGE (INCLUDING DAMAGE FOR LOSS OF BUSINESS
PROFIT, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF DATA, AND THE LIKE) ARISING OUT OF THE
USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SOFTWARE EVEN IF PUBLISHER HAS BEEN ADVISED OF
THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION
OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGE.
You Know, the one that says you can't make more than one backup of it, transfer the license or warranty..
As the Licensee, you may physically transfer the Software from one computer to another
provided that the Software is used on only one computer at a time. You may not distribute
copies of the Software or the accompanying written materials to others. You may not modify,
adapt, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, or create derivative works
based on the Software. You may not modify, adapt, translate or create derivative works
based on the written materials without the prior written consent of Publisher.

This Software is licensed to only you, the Licensee, and may not be transferred to
anyone else without the prior written consent of Publisher. In no event may you transfer,
assign, rent, lease, sell or otherwise dispose of the Software on a temporary or permanent
basis except as expressly provided herein.
UGH !!
At least we're getting a FULL 1-yr Warranty with the Axe, and AFAIK has been more than forthcoming in honoring that warranty. So why worry ?

javajunkie said:
sarge said:

The axe-fx isn't a poweramp. Compare it with similar multi-effects units(that is what it is).Look at a the effect units in its class

Eventide Eclipse ($2000) = 1yr
Eventide H8000 ($5500) - 1yr
Lexicom PCM96 ($3000) = 1 yr
TC Electronic G-System = 1 yr (2 yrs in EU)

! year appears to be pretty much the standard for a multi-effects unit in the US regardless of price.

Moreover, most companies (my experience with Fractal has been no different) will repair units even out of warranty for very little (or no) cost. My MOTU 828mkII dies after the warranty expired. The gave me a replacement unit for $50 shipped.

I have no doubt your reasoning is exactly why it is a 1 year warranty and not more. If I were running the business I would probably do the same (on the side I am in fact at the moment trying to get a small engineering company off the ground in a totally different market and am overwhelmed with all the crap involved).

That said, I am a tight wad to the 12th degree. And I admit I was nervous spending 2 grand on a product with a single year warranty.

But I have not read a single negative post about interactions between customer service with Fractal and don't anticipate any in the unlikely event I need to. Just the constant firmware releases which are far more then bugfixes tell me what I need to know.

One more thing. My buddy is a trademark Lawyer in the EU and he told me that by law all products sold in the EU mast have atleast a two year warranty. Not sure if that was a certain class of product or not.

The Axe-FX is awesome.

That said, the power supply on my Standard went bad and now the rotary encoder is going a bit funky. Great service including a phone call, but I had to eat the cost (not cheap) including shipping.

Back
Top Bottom