On the wall, or in the case?

I have thought about this a while and I've come to a conclusion. The mass of the guitar hanging from the neck adds a tension force to the neck opposite the tension force applied by the strings. This cancellation of force (complete or partial) forces the neck and strings into a long term dynamic it wasn't intended to be in. I'll go with stands or in the case.

Also, I don't know where you live but if it's in a quake zone things tend to jump off walls.

The change in tension is minimal. Use a tuner and compare the pitch of the strings when hung vs on a stand.

I normally have 6 or so out on stands, the rest in cases. I’ve thought about the wall mount thing, but just never did it. I like the Hercules units with the swinging tabs that keep the neck inside the holder. I believe I’d use those if I ever get to it!

Storage in a case could be better in the long run. But then again seeing them on the wall significantly increases their chances of them seeing any play. You just have to pick one of them, whereas with a case you have to break out the case first, which depending on how and where you stored them may be pain in the nether regions into itself. Besides a wall of guitars looks cool. A stack of guitar cases never looks cool.

Agree that if they're in their cases I'll forget about them.

I just moved into a new house w/ a smaller closet, but there's room for my Hercules 5-stand, with the bass in the triangular corner of the closet and another axe on in a single stand next to the rack. The closet stays closed and humidified (I'm trying distilled water this time to hopefully avoid the dust...). I keep one or two out on stands in my room; I rotate them fairly frequently so they don't dry out too much. But there's no more room... not sure what I'll do the next time I succumb to GAS ;-) I guess there are a couple that could go into their cases if I get anything new.

Also agree about hanging them on the wall; I don't trust a single hanger unless it's in a wall stud. The DiamondLife look good because you can really anchor them... a buddy used to have those and they worked well. But this house and the last one, I didn't really have the wall space for it because they're smaller bedrooms and my studio doubles as my office. The closet does the trick.

@jefferski dig the humidifier in the closet idea. Might need to look into that..,
Yea, it works really well and since the space is so small it doesn't use much water - I only have to refill once a week or so. There's just enough depth in a standard closet for the Hercules stand and the guitars to fit in there.

Just be careful to not use regular water like I did before... ;-)

Whatever causes you to play the most.

Number of variables that can effect setup...wall hanging would we be at the bottom of the list, if on it at all.
I’m sure most have seen Steve Vai’s studio setup, Gruhn, Norman’s, etc...

My 11.8lb LP standard had been on the wall for at least fourteen years if I recall correctly. The only time it needed an adjustment was if there was an environmental change. Of course it was causing me to need an adjustment too often so it had to go, but that’s beside the point.

On the wall for sure for the electrics. I used to hang the acoustic on the wall, but found when playing the electrics in the room the acoustic strings would ring out loud so it stays in the case.

More or less keep two out, something with single coils and something with humbuckers and rotate them about every two weeks. I also like keeping a acoustic out but only do so during the summer months, in the winter its dry so the acoustics's sit in there cases with a humidifier and hydro meter.

From Normans - just saying - theres a LOT of money in all those guitars hanging on the wall...
If there is evidence that hanging them causes damage, I would have to think places like this would have zero instruments on the wall.
You could still get one of the stands like the ones on the floor here... It just takes up way less space to have them on the wall.
I'm a wall person.

Your guitar spends most of its life with 100 lbs of string tension compressing the neck. Five or ten pounds of force pulling the other way isn't going to make a difference.
Hanging your guitar on the wall has the same effect as switching to a lighter string gauge. Your guitar will survive. :)

Back
Top Bottom