My Humidifier Journey

cobbler

Fractal Fanatic
I recently have been asked by a few people how I keep my guitar room humidified since the average humidity here in the desert is around 15% which we all know will ruin your guitars. So here are a few paragraphs on my humidification journey. Hopefully someone will benefit from my trial and error process with regards to keeping your guitars happy.

My guitar room is a converted walk in 8’x12’ closet. I originally bought a cheapo steam based humidifier from Target that worked for about 4 days and had no control of the humidity level. After tossing that I picked up a Boneco (formally Air-O-Swiss) ultrasonic humidifier. These work by having a little disk unit that vibrates so rapidly that it creates a mist from the water. The down side is they often create a white mist of minerals that looks like dust and it gets all over the house. I corrected this somewhat by using the water out of my Reverse Osmosis System.

However, it was a pain in the ass to fill the 3.5 gallon tank every 2 to 3 days and lug it into the guitar room. Also, you had to purchase a filter that needs replacement every 3-4 months as well as a little water purifier lozenge that needs to be replaced every 3-4 weeks. Not a cost efficient way (around $15 a month) to go considering the humidifier itself was over $200.00. Also, the hygrometer in the unit was off by 33%. Yikes! The lowest setting was 40% humidity and I had a hard time keeping the level below 60%. I had to position the thing an exact way in the room where the sensor could be kind of fooled but it was a crap shoot all the time trying to keep the humidity level between 45% and 55%. I read a lot of reviews complaining about the inaccurate hygrometer.

Well, the tank started leaking after 4 months and of course it’s the only part not covered in the 1-year warranty. Arrrrghhhhhh! So I was off to find a better solution and I found it!

I came across a site where several musicians with high digit violins etc. (we are talking 100K plus instruments here) are using an old German technology air washer. So I looked them up. Venta Airwashers. The technology is quite simple. It has a paddle type wheel that brings moisture up to a fan that spreads it to the room. They have several sizes depending on your room size. Their target is to humidify a room 40%-55%. Of course that is entirely dependent on the rooms size, shape, and size of the Airwasher product you choose. I bought the medium unit which was rated for rooms 4 times larger than mine as I wanted to be able to run it on the slow speed to reduce fan noise. No, this is not another fan story. :)

It works great! You simply add a large cup of water (32 oz) to the reservoir nightly (or a gallon every 3-4 days) and every 3 to 4 weeks wipe clean the reservoir and add a few drops of water treatment that helps stick the water to the paddlewheel. The treatment runs about $30 for a years supply. Unfortunately, I was still having a problem with keeping the humidity level consistent since there is no hygrometer on the unit. One of the violinists on the aforementioned site suggested using what he found. A Green Air Products THC-2. It’s a perfect combination with the Venta. You plug the Airwasher into the THC-2 which has an accurate hygrometer and it simply turns the power on/off on the attached equipment according to the specified humidity chosen. It also has a dehumidify option if needed.

So the Airwasher gets shut off if the humidity hits 55% and turns back on when it hits 45%. i.e +/- 5% of the setting. It’s been several months now and I have not had to do a thing other than add the glass of water nightly. So when I feed the dog I feed the guitars too!

m0mEW4l.jpg

cIEfE5c.jpg

5unfGT2.jpg

Last edited:
I just knew there was a benefit to the UK's climate! Thanks for sharing that story, Craig - very interesting!

Thanks Gilesy

When it all came together and worked ..... did it make you feel a little moist?

... or wait, there's more ....

Do you turn it all down when your playing feels a bit rusty?

Har Har

The Vornado Evap40 works very well for my needs, but I like this concept a lot.

No filters? Bonus.

I recently have been asked by a few people how I keep my guitar room humidified since the average humidity here in the desert is around 15% which we all know will ruin your guitars. So here are a few paragraphs on my humidification journey. Hopefully someone will benefit from my trial and error process with regards to keeping your guitars happy.

My guitar room is a converted walk in 8’x12’ closet. I originally bought a cheapo steam based humidifier from Target that worked for about 4 days and had no control of the humidity level. After tossing that I picked up a Boneco (formally Air-O-Swiss) ultrasonic humidifier. These work by having a little disk unit that vibrates so rapidly that it creates a mist from the water. The down side is they often create a white mist of minerals that looks like dust and it gets all over the house. I corrected this somewhat by using the water out of my Reverse Osmosis System.

However, it was a pain in the ass to fill the 3.5 gallon tank every 2 to 3 days and lug it into the guitar room. Also, you had to purchase a filter that needs replacement every 3-4 months as well as a little water purifier lozenge that needs to be replaced every 3-4 weeks. Not a cost efficient way (around $15 a month) to go considering the humidifier itself was over $200.00. Also, the hygrometer in the unit was off by 33%. Yikes! The lowest setting was 40% humidity and I had a hard time keeping the level below 60%. I had to position the thing an exact way in the room where the sensor could be kind of fooled but it was a crap shoot all the time trying to keep the humidity level between 45% and 55%. I read a lot of reviews complaining about the inaccurate hygrometer.

Well, the tank started leaking after 4 months and of course it’s the only part not covered in the 1-year warranty. Arrrrghhhhhh! So I was off to find a better solution and I found it!

I came across a site where several musicians with high digit violins etc. (we are talking 100K plus instruments here) are using an old German technology air washer. So I looked them up. Venta Airwashers. The technology is quite simple. It has a paddle type wheel that brings moisture up to a fan that spreads it to the room. They have several sizes depending on your room size. Their target is to humidify a room 40%-55%. Of course that is entirely dependent on the rooms size, shape, and size of the Airwasher product you choose. I bought the medium unit which was rated for rooms 4 times larger than mine as I wanted to be able to run it on the slow speed to reduce fan noise. No, this is not another fan story. :)

It works great! You simply add a cup of water to the reservoir nightly (or a gallon every 3-4 days) and every 3 to 4 weeks wipe clean the reservoir and add a few drops of water treatment that helps stick the water to the paddlewheel. The treatment runs about $30 for a years supply. Unfortunately, I was still having a problem with keeping the humidity level consistent since there is no hygrometer on the unit. One of the violinists on the aforementioned site suggested using what he found. A Green Air Products THC-2. It’s a perfect combination with the Venta. You plug the Airwasher into the THC-2 which has an accurate hygrometer and it simply turns the power on/off on the attached equipment according to the specified humidity chosen. It also has a dehumidify option if needed.

So the Airwasher gets shut off if the humidity hits 55% and turns back on when it hits 45%. i.e +/- 5% of the setting. It’s been several months now and I have not had to do a thing other than add the glass of water nightly. So when I feed the dog I feed the guitars too!

m0mEW4l.jpg

cIEfE5c.jpg

5unfGT2.jpg
Sounds nice, but I’d be concerned that it’s only consuming a cup of water per day. That means it’s only putting a cup of water into the air, and that’s not much in a dry climate.

Sounds nice, but I’d be concerned that it’s only consuming a cup of water per day. That means it’s only putting a cup of water into the air, and that’s not much in a dry climate.

It's a large cup. 32 oz. I didn't mean to imply it was a measured cup. I did say a gallon every 3 to 4 days. I amended the post. The Venta shuts off when the water gets too low so if I see the red light I know I have been negligent. :(

The THC-2 has proven to be very accurate in my tests with several hygrometers placed through the space.

Last edited:
It's a large cup. 32 oz. I didn't mean to imply it was a measured cup. I did say a gallon every 3 to 4 days. I amended the post. The Venta shuts off when the water gets too low so if I see the red light I know I have been negligent. :(

The THC-2 has proven to be very accurate in my tests with several hygrometers placed through the space.
Good to know. :)

Have you checked it against a known-good hygrometer (e.g., a sling psychrometer)?

Not a Sling. A friend had a Kestrel some model number and all was good. Within 2% I believe.
Sounds like you scored. :)

Random thought: if the treatment product is a setting agent, maybe you could get by with a few drops of dish detergent.

Sounds like you scored. :)

Random thought: if the treatment product is a setting agent, maybe you could get by with a few drops of dish detergent.

It's both a settling agent and an additive to reduce mineral buildup. I bought 2 bottles (1qt each) for $24 two years ago. I'm not even halfway through the 1st one. They recommend every 2 weeks. I add it every 2 months. I think using the RO water helps in that respect.. Everything is running smoothy ever since the purchase. The Venta was the way to go for me here in the desert. It got real old very quickly monitoring 15 in case humidifiers. Thus the closet conversion and humidifier journey.

I have a humidifier for over years now. It has been working fine. Though i have to clean it up the time to prevent bacteria being released into my air. But recently, i have been feeling allergies, begin to feel my home air is dirty and i am think of cleaning the air with an air purifier. I have search for a unit but landed on different units. I also come across a unit with humidifier and air purifier in a single unit. My question, is it ideal to get this single unit featuring both function or should i just get a standalone air purifier? I hope someone can help in this regards with reply, i'll be glad.

I have a humidifier for over years now. It has been working fine. Though i have to clean it up the time to prevent bacteria being released into my air. But recently, i have been feeling allergies, begin to feel my home air is dirty and i am think of cleaning the air with an air purifier. I have search for a unit but landed on different units. I also come across a unit with humidifier and air purifier in a single unit. My question, is it ideal to get this single unit featuring both function or should i just get a standalone air purifier? I hope someone can help in this regards with reply, i'll be glad.
I would not get an all-in-one, I would separate the functions.
Depending on locale, folks don’t have homes with an air source blowing through duct work.
If you have ductwork and a good air filter in-line you should be in good shape.

Had so many issues with the 'wick' type humidifiers, even with regular maintenance, and the warm mist electrode humidifiers weren't powerful enough. We switched to an ultrasonic humidifier and use distilled water in it. No more allergy or bacteria issues for us and keeps our home @ 40%.

Interesting... still using a vornado, every year change the filter, no biggie, fill up every other day.

My humidifier has a 4.75 gallon tank that needs to be filled every 2-3 days in my bedroom studio. That's what is needed to achieve 40% in my room here in Vegas.

Amazon product ASIN B07GZDLMMB
Without it, my acoustics shrink so badly that the strings fret out completely. Still looking for a better high capacity unit.

I really like the wickless design of your unit. I'm wondering if the LW45 would do the job in my room. Wicks put out a lot of moisture, but they clog up with minerals fast. My unit would be impractical without a water softener.

I'm checking out the Venta site. They look really nice. Expensive, but nice. Really digging the 6 Series and wishing I wasn't broke.

I'm checking out the Venta site. They look really nice. Expensive, but nice. Really digging the 6 Series and wishing I wasn't broke.

I noticed they now offer them with a hygrometer built in as well though I have no clue how accurate it is. I have the LW25 and it is still going strong after 4 years. I am also in the Vegas area and was shocked when I moved here at the degraded condition of my acoustics after a couple weeks.

The Venta was not cheap as you said but I am really pleased with the product and would not change a thing. I've been procrastinating but I eventually intend to put a mini valve float kit in it so I can hook it up to a larger water source.

Back
Top Bottom