Octaver bad tracking and artifacts...

FractalAudio said:
The Octave Divider on the Axe-Fx is a recreation of the old analog octave dividers. It's supposed to sound all glitchy and funky.

The GT-8 clip you posted is simply a pitch shift down an octave. If that's the sound you want set the pitch to Fixed Harmony and set the shift to -12.

In case it hasn't been said enough: READ THE MANUAL!!!
And THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I TRIED TO DESCRIBE !

Thank you, Cliff for verifying since no one seems to believe me around here ;) .

A Boss Octaver is simply NOT the same as an Octave Devider. End of discussion ;)

VegaBaby said:
FractalAudio said:
The Octave Divider on the Axe-Fx is a recreation of the old analog octave dividers. It's supposed to sound all glitchy and funky.

The GT-8 clip you posted is simply a pitch shift down an octave. If that's the sound you want set the pitch to Fixed Harmony and set the shift to -12.

Thank you, Cliff for verifying since no one seems to believe me around here ;) .

A Boss Octaver is simply NOT the same as an Octave Devider. End of discussion ;)

Not according to Cliff:
"To get that OC-3 sound you'll want to use the OCTAVE DIV mode in the pitch block. The OC-3 is an octave divider. It uses flip-flops to create synthesized waveforms that are sub-multiples of the input frequency. The regular pitch modes will not sound the same. The OC-3 also adds distortion though. You may want to put a drive block in there somewhere. The OC-2 was a classic octave divider. I'm not that intimate with the OC-3 and I'm not exactly sure how it differs."

My issue with it isn't whether it sounds synthy and distorted or not or not, but the tracking IS more unstable than my Foxox octron and from what I remember of other analog octavers I have used (I am talking above the 5th fret) and the underling ring-mod type sound that exist in all the pitch shifts (it just pops up bad in the divider). The new firmware has smoothed some of that out.

VegaBaby said:
FractalAudio said:

I did some research, the Boss OC-2 and 3 is, in fact, an octave divider. It uses precisely the method that Cliff describes in the manual.

I believe the octron uses a similar method only instead of an octave down and 2 octaves down, it offers an octave up and an octave down.

Okay... I've improved the Octave Divider quite dramatically.

In my research, however, I discovered a better way to achieve this effect, IMO. Use the Ring Modulator. Set Track to On and FMULT to 0.5. Adjust Locut and Mix to taste.

The only drawback is that it's only one octave but it tracks way better than any analog technique.

FractalAudio said:

In my research, however, I discovered a better way to achieve this effect, IMO. Use the Ring Modulator. Set Track to On and FMULT to 0.5. Adjust Locut and Mix to taste.

The only drawback is that it's only one octave but it tracks way better than any analog technique.

These are really great news !!!! :D
Can't wait till hear it in the next firmware...
Impressed by the ring modulator idea as well !! I'll give it a try ASAP !

Once again, Fractal Audio's support RULES !!!
Thank you Cliff !!!
:p

VegaBaby said:
FractalAudio said:
Is the lo-fi nastiness still present :) ?

Just in case it is still present, could that be optional as an additional parameter in the octave divider's menu ? (i.e. an option between hi-fi and lo-fi).
I have a feeling that only a few people would ask for this lo-fi nastiness (and I'm not one of them). :cool:

FractalAudio said:

that ring mod trick works great!!!!!! :p

javajunkie said:
FractalAudio said:

Ring mod works excellent for me too !!! :eek:
I've just added (in parallel) one fixed-harm voice shifted to -24 and followed by a lowpass filter to 509 Hz.
Good point is that the fix-harm voice helps keep tracking on double notes !!! Very impessive (at least to my ears)...
Mix and/or pan ring-mod and fixed-harm to taste, and here's the result !!! :)

http://rapidshare.com/files/237037953/ring-oct.mp3

Athan.G said:
javajunkie said:
FractalAudio said:

Ring mod works excellent for me too !!! :eek:
I've just added (in parallel) one fixed-harm voice shifted to -24 and followed by a lowpass filter to 509 Hz.
Good point is that the fix-harm voice helps keep tracking on double notes !!! Very impessive (at least to my ears)...
Mix and/or pan ring-mod and fixed-harm to taste, and here's the result !!! :)

http://rapidshare.com/files/237037953/ring-oct.mp3

That's sounds fantastic!

Ok after playing with the rind mod and a filter with octv dist, The Foxrox Octron is getting the boot out of the rack. :D

javajunkie said:
Ok after playing with the rind mod and a filter with octv dist, The Foxrox Octron is getting the boot out of the rack. :D
:shock:
wow... what's left now?
if I recall correctly, that was the main one that still stuck around for the past year or two?

godprobe said:
javajunkie said:
:shock:
wow... what's left now?
if I recall correctly, that was the main one that still stuck around for the past year or two?

A/DA Flanger, EVH flange (probably could pull that but the EVH button is just so easy), phase 90 hand wired.

m lebofsky said:
javajunkie said:
Really ? Can you post the patch ?

I'm not sure if this is the effect you looking for but here is a brief clip (axefx then octron)of an instrumental part I will be doing this weekend whre I use the octave up effect w/ a little lower octave mixed in.

http://javajunkiemusic.com/Audio/octv_compare.mp3

Back
Top Bottom