Octaver bad tracking and artifacts...

javajunkie said:
The improved Octave divider sounds and tracks very well now.

Same here !!! Excellent work on the new firmware!!! :D
My only problem now is that I can't choose between octave divider and ring-mod since both work prety well :lol: :lol: :lol:

Athan.G said:
javajunkie said:

My only problem now is that I can't choose between octave divider and ring-mod since both work prety well :lol: :lol: :lol:

Simple: pan one left, one right. I mean, why shouldn't you have both?

Beefcake said:
Athan.G said:
javajunkie said:

Simple: pan one left, one right. I mean, why shouldn't you have both?

I was just kidding but it's a good idea BTW !!! :p

Anyone have some specific settings to mimic a classic octave down like the Boss Oc-2? During a 7.xx firmware (before the pitch oct div fix), with the RingMod putting the Fmult to .500 and tracking On seemed to yield a decent result, but now with the latest ultra firmware (8.02) for whatever reason this trick doesn't sound good at all.

I'm thinking that the Pitch block with Octave Div is the real way to emulate an octave pedal, but last I tried (7.xx and 8.02) it still just seems to paint my sound brown if you know what I mean... What settings do I do for OC-2/OC-3 emulation?

hp/mp said:
Anyone have some specific settings to mimic a classic octave down like the Boss Oc-2? During a 7.xx firmware (before the pitch oct div fix), with the RingMod putting the Fmult to .500 and tracking On seemed to yield a decent result, but now with the latest ultra firmware (8.03) for whatever reason this trick doesn't sound good at all.

I'm thinking that the Pitch block with Octave Div is the real way to emulate an octave pedal, but last I tried (7.xx and 8.03) it still just seems to paint my sound brown if you know what I mean... What settings do I do for OC-2/OC-3 emulation?

8.03? we are only up to 8.02.

ring mod octaver sounds fine (as good as it always has) here:
http://javajunkiemusic.com/Audio/ringmod.mp3

Which settings on the oc2 or 3?

Whoops, meant f/w 8.02! I edited it now to avoid future confusion.

I don't own an Oc-2 or 3, but I have a cheaper DOD "Octoplus" which I can't replicate with the ring mod trick. It's the same effect as the Boss pedals but just cheaper.

Here's a quick clip I just recorded. http://www.mediafire.com/?tyn2eg5majz

The 1st part has the Axe dry 1st, then the DOD Octoplus 2nd, then the Axe's ring mod trick 4 times w/ different settings, back to Axe dry, then lastly DOD Octoplus.

2nd part are the effects played clean, it's more subtle but it's the same effects w/ the same settings in the same order, Axe dry, DOD, Axe Ring Mod.

I guess when clean the difference between the Ring Mod and DOD don't seem very big, but with the same settings with gain they sound really different. I played with the Ring Mod LoCut and Mix but it just doesn't sound like the DOD. Maybe the Pitch block Oct Div can get there?

hp/mp said:
Whoops, meant f/w 8.02! I edited it now to avoid future confusion.

I don't own an Oc-2 or 3, but I have a cheaper DOD "Octoplus" which I can't replicate with the ring mod trick. It's the same effect as the Boss pedals but just cheaper.

Here's a quick clip I just recorded. http://www.mediafire.com/?tyn2eg5majz

The 1st part has the Axe dry 1st, then the DOD Octoplus 2nd, then the Axe's ring mod trick 4 times w/ different settings, back to Axe dry, then lastly DOD Octoplus.

2nd part are the effects played clean, it's more subtle but it's the same effects w/ the same settings in the same order, Axe dry, DOD, Axe Ring Mod.

I guess when clean the difference between the Ring Mod and DOD don't seem very big, but with the same settings with gain they sound really different. I played with the Ring Mod LoCut and Mix but it just doesn't sound like the DOD. Maybe the Pitch block Oct Div can get there?

I can't get to mediafire here. Have you tried the Octave Divider w/ voice 2 turned off?

javajunkie said:
I can't get to mediafire here. Have you tried the Octave Divider w/ voice 2 turned off?
Alright the Octave Divider with voice 2 off is closer, but I recorded an A/B with my DOD Octoplus.

Is mediafire specifically unavailable to you, or public file hosting sites in general? I tried sendspace this time:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gmlq19

The clip breaks down like this:
1 Axe-Fx Pitch Block 100% mix
2 DOD Octoplus 0% "Direct level"
3 Axe Pitch 75% mix
4 Dod 45% Direct Level
5 Axe Pitch 50% mix
6 Dod 60% Direct level, Dod 100% direct level
7 Axe with no pitch effects

As you can hear turning up the DOD's Direct Level acts different from turning up the pitch block's mix. The other pitch block parameters did not effect the sound hardly at all (in gain, hicut freq, pitch source).

From what I can surmise, as you turn down the Mix from 100% with the Axe's pitch block, it brings in the dry signal and the tracking signal remains the same. The DOD Octoplus manual reads that the "direct level adjusts the level of the input signal allowed to pass through to the output. Turning the direct level control clockwise increases the amount of the original signal going to the output of the fx35." From the description it seems like it'd be the same as the Axe's Octave Divider, but with the DOD it sounds like as you turn up the Direct Level from 0, it seems to "gain" the tracking signal in addition to mixing it with the dry signal.

I prefer the DOD effect and sound (in theory at least, the Dod doesn't have great tracking and adds some noise), and the Boss oc-2/3 does the same effect/sound but with better tracking, but the oc-3 has some more features that I'm not particularly interested in at this time.

So is there any way to mimic this action/sound (almost) exactly with the Axe?

hp/mp said:
javajunkie said:
Alright the Octave Divider with voice 2 off is closer, but I recorded an A/B with my DOD Octoplus.

Is mediafire specifically unavailable to you, or public file hosting sites in general? I tried sendspace this time:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gmlq19

The clip breaks down like this:
1 Axe-Fx Pitch Block 100% mix
2 DOD Octoplus 0% "Direct level"
3 Axe Pitch 75% mix
4 Dod 45% Direct Level
5 Axe Pitch 50% mix
6 Dod 60% Direct level, Dod 100% direct level
7 Axe with no pitch effects

As you can hear turning up the DOD's Direct Level acts different from turning up the pitch block's mix. The other pitch block parameters did not effect the sound hardly at all (in gain, hicut freq, pitch source).

From what I can surmise, as you turn down the Mix from 100% with the Axe's pitch block, it brings in the dry signal and the tracking signal remains the same. The DOD Octoplus manual reads that the "direct level adjusts the level of the input signal allowed to pass through to the output. Turning the direct level control clockwise increases the amount of the original signal going to the output of the fx35." From the description it seems like it'd be the same as the Axe's Octave Divider, but with the DOD it sounds like as you turn up the Direct Level from 0, it seems to "gain" the tracking signal in addition to mixing it with the dry signal.

I prefer the DOD effect and sound (in theory at least, the Dod doesn't have great tracking and adds some noise), and the Boss oc-2/3 does the same effect/sound but with better tracking, but the oc-3 has some more features that I'm not particularly interested in at this time.

So is there any way to mimic this action/sound (almost) exactly with the Axe?

I'll listen to it at home. I can't get to any of those sites here. Pitch source certainly does make huge difference! Try to play more than one note w/ it on poly local then change it to Global. Also it tracks differently and the echo is reduced on poly local. Hi frq cut won't be major on an octave down.

i'll have to check your download from home and the behavior of the mix.

FractalAudio said:
Okay... I've improved the Octave Divider quite dramatically.

In my research, however, I discovered a better way to achieve this effect, IMO. Use the Ring Modulator. Set Track to On and FMULT to 0.5. Adjust Locut and Mix to taste.

The only drawback is that it's only one octave but it tracks way better than any analog technique.

OH! Huzzah. I used to do this when I had a Vetta and it worked very well.

javajunkie said:
I think you'll like the new pitch shifting algorithm
As much as I'm appreciating the improved algorithm, it still doesn't match traditional octave down pedals, or at least that ones I know.

Here's one last clip with the 8.05 ultra firmware, A/Bing the Axe Pitch Block on Octave Div (local poly and Level 2 all the way off) with my DOD Octoplus pedal, with a distortion tone.

http://www.4shared.com/file/135117286/5 ... ivDOD.html

1st clip - Axe Pitch (mix 100%)
2nd - DOD (direct level all the way down)
3rd - Axe Pitch (mix 50%)
4th - DOD (direct level half way up)

To me, it sounds like the tracked octave on the Axe remains the same, while with the DOD, if the source is overdriven (as in this case) then the tracked octave is overdriven as well, sounding more "mechanical." I don't know if the Axe can emulate the action/sound of these pedals? :(

Also, I'm aware my "issue" doesn't pertain specifically to the original thread title anymore, so I might have to make a new wish list thread for this unless it can be solved here :)

hp/mp said:
javajunkie said:
I think you'll like the new pitch shifting algorithm
As much as I'm appreciating the improved algorithm, it still doesn't match traditional octave down pedals, or at least that ones I know.

Here's one last clip with the 8.05 ultra firmware, A/Bing the Axe Pitch Block on Octave Div (local poly and Level 2 all the way off) with my DOD Octoplus pedal, with a distortion tone.

http://www.4shared.com/file/135117286/5 ... ivDOD.html

1st clip - Axe Pitch (mix 100%)
2nd - DOD (direct level all the way down)
3rd - Axe Pitch (mix 50%)
4th - DOD (direct level half way up)

To me, it sounds like the tracked octave on the Axe remains the same, while with the DOD, if the source is overdriven (as in this case) then the tracked octave is overdriven as well, sounding more "mechanical." I don't know if the Axe can emulate the action/sound of these pedals? :(

Also, I'm aware my "issue" doesn't pertain specifically to the original thread title anymore, so I might have to make a new wish list thread for this unless it can be solved here :)

I just got a Boss OC2 yesterday and I have a Foxrox Octron. I will post some comparison of those with the Axe-fx today. I'll listen to your clips when I get home.

What was the signal chain for both? How were you overdriving the source?

javajunkie said:
I just got a Boss OC2 yesterday and I have a Foxrox Octron. I will post some comparison of those with the Axe-fx today. I'll listen to your clips when I get home.
Great! :)

Signal chain was AxeFx -> DOD Octoplus -> Guitar (tone knob almost all down to bring out the octave better).

My patch chain was Amp (metal) -> Cab -> Enhancer -> Pitch.

To A/B all I did was bypass the pitch block when recording the octoplus, and vice versa for the Axe.

hp/mp said:
javajunkie said:

Signal chain was AxeFx -> DOD Octoplus -> Guitar (tone knob almost all down to bring out the octave better).

To A/B all I did was bypass the pitch block when recording the octoplus, and vice versa for the Axe.

I see a problem here, you are using your octoplus before the axe-fx (that places it before the Axe-fx's virtual amp).
However, you seem to be placing the pitch block after the amp/cab in your second one?
You will get VERY different results placing the pitch block before or after the amp.

javajunkie said:
hp/mp said:
javajunkie said:

I see a problem here, you are using your octoplus before the axe-fx (that places it before the Axe-fx's virtual amp).
However, you seem to be placing the pitch block after the amp/cab in your second one?
You will get VERY different results placing the pitch block before or after the amp.
Wow thanks JJ!! :oops:. To think my problem all along was just moving the pitch block in front of the amp block :(. I make these kind of errors sometimes... Well now its sounds just like the Octoplus but no background noise so bye octoplus!!! :D

Interested to see how your oc-2 compares! BTW, from what I've heard the OC-3 is the only octave that apparently can track chords well. From what I've tried in the past minute, the Axe is doing a generally good job with distorted power chords, as long as I don't let them ring for a bit. But I don't play that sort of thing really with an octaver anyway.

Back
Top Bottom