Noticeable latency Output Level/ Headphones volume control.....

Sure, but if it is happening with the output signal from the back of the unit as well, them what is happening in such a powerful unit?
The Axe II uses stepped digital attenuators for two reasons that I know of: to maximize signal-to-noise ratio, and to prevent the problem of "scratchy" pots that can develop on older devices.

Stepped attenuators get noisy when you turn them quickly, so their response has been damped to minimize that noise.

It’s strange: So when „it's not a physical pot“, the latency effect should be there at day 1 of the AxeFx II. BUT I noticed it not before V9 or so.
The last changes to how the Output Level knobs work was made back in Firmware 3.

The Axe II uses stepped digital attenuators for two reasons that I know of: to maximize signal-to-noise ratio, and to prevent the problem of "scratchy" pots that can develop on older devices.

Stepped attenuators get noisy when you turn them quickly, so their response has been damped to minimize that noise.

Ok, thanks for this.... now i HATE Stepped attenuators!!!!

the Axe goes into my mixing desk....
the faders sound fine to me....

sorry about that...
I'll get me coat..

Ok, thanks for this.... now i HATE Stepped attenuators!!!!
Yeah, I prefer the feel of an analog volume pot (when it's working properly—I hate 'em when they get crunchy). I don't quite understand how a pot placed after D/A conversion would hurt the signal-to-noise ratio, but the current stepped attenuator is turning out to be less of a bother than I thought it would be.

Yeah, I prefer the feel of an analog volume pot (when it's working properly—I hate 'em when they get crunchy). I don't quite understand how a pot placed after D/A conversion would hurt the signal-to-noise ratio, but the current stepped attenuator is turning out to be less of a bother than I thought it would be.

To place a pot after D/A requires running cables to/from the front panel. These cables can degrade signal quality and pick up noise. The pots on the front panel of the II are remote controls for the digital pots. The signal never passes through them.

The digital pots also allow us to boost the level from the D/A and then attenuate it precisely to improve output SNR. The Ouput X Boost/Pad feature would be impossible without digital pots.

To place a pot after D/A requires running cables to/from the front panel. These cables can degrade signal quality and pick up noise. The pots on the front panel of the II are remote controls for the digital pots. The signal never passes through them.

The digital pots also allow us to boost the level from the D/A and then attenuate it precisely to improve output SNR. The Ouput X Boost/Pad feature would be impossible without digital pots.
Clears that up. Thanks, Cliff.

Back
Top Bottom