Noticeable latency Output Level/ Headphones volume control.....

nicolasrivera

Fractal Fanatic
Is this normal?.... It has started to be a bit of an annoyance to me, when ever i'm setting the volume with the output level knob and my headphones there is a latency, considerable IMO.

I experience the exact same. I've found this a bit strange because my Ultra didn't have any noticeable latency.

Yes. most of the time in my house im using headphones with whatever simulator im using, but non of them have this strange phenomena present in the Axe FX II so its getting a bit on my nerves....

When you say "latency," do you mean the the output volume changing in steps? That's normal. I've never heard any actual signal latency when adjusting the output kobs. From the WIKI,

The WIKI said:
Cliff: "That's normal. The output "pot" is actually a ladder of discrete resistors that is remotely controlled by the knob on the front panel. Other products simply reduce the digital signal going into the D/A converter but this is sub-optimum as you reduce your dynamic range when doing this. The Axe-Fx II strives to keep the signal into the D/A as high as possible for optimum dynamic range and then controls the output level using a programmable output gain. The downside of this approach is that you will hear a small noise when the output switches between the resistors in the ladder."

I noticed a delay with the output knob during one of the updates. I can't recall which one though. I know this isn't a solution, but you're not alone!

I think the update you describe is "Axe FX II" because I'm pretty sure it's been that way since day 1.

Just turn slowly.

Not trying to be a smart ass here but just curious, why exactly is this important... like at all? Do you adjust that knob more than once or twice in a given session? And if so, what would possibly make you want or need to adjust it more often than that? Also, it's a master output knob. It's not exactly meant to be used with any regularity during performance at all, so there's basically no need for it to have The processing power devoted to it to have millisecond-accurate hardware sync.

Last edited:
I think the update you describe is "Axe FX II" because I'm pretty sure it's been that way since day 1.

Just turn slowly.

To me it is pretty annoying even more so in such a quality unit, i never had this happened with any other equipment that i can remember of. like if you have the volume at 12 and you turn it quickly to zero, it takes a second or something to cut the sound, but this is only with headphones and not with the back output, but since most of the time i'm with headphone it just gets in my nerves every time.

Not trying to be a smart ass here but just curious, why exactly is this important... like at all? Do you adjust that knob more than once or twice in a given session? And if so, what would possibly make you want or need to adjust it more often than that? It's a master output knob. It's not exactly meant to be used with any regularity during performance at all.

I'm constantly turning up or down the volume when using headphones, try it, after while gets pretty annoying. And to me it is important, very.

But this is only with Headphones.

So you don't just switch back and forth between "comfortable listening volume that you set at the beginning of the session" and "take headphones off to hear what's going on around you?"

So you don't just switch back and forth between "comfortable listening volume that you set at the beginning of the session" and "take headphones off to hear what's going on around you?"

Yes, but that is not the solution!

Would be nice to know if this is just how the headphones level will behave or could it be possible corrected, maybe i'm the only user annoyed by this, but it is something you would not expect to happen in such unit.

yes, it was not happening with the ultra because it did not have a headphone port. :)

the "latency" is a side-effect of solving a more important issue, one that many more were affected by with the ultra/standard.

It's completely normal. The response is that slow to cure the issues people were having with zipper noise. It's due to the design of the pot; it's not a physical pot.

yes, it was not happening with the ultra because it did not have a headphone port. :)

the "latency" is a side-effect of solving a more important issue, one that many more were affected by with the ultra/standard.

Sure, but if it is happening with the output signal from the back of the unit as well, them what is happening in such a powerful unit?

It's completely normal. The response is that slow to cure the issues people were having with zipper noise. It's due to the design of the pot; it's not a physical pot.

Ohh so not a physical pot but a encoder sending order signals somewhere..... i still cant understand why there has to be Latency with this....

I noticed a delay with the output knob during one of the updates. I can't recall which one though. I know this isn't a solution, but you're not alone!

Same with me. I don't think it's a big deal but since then I find it more difficult to find the right amount of movement for the volume knob. You have to tweak back and forth until you find the right position because of the latency. And in some positions it feels like the movement hasn't any effect to the output. Like there is no linearity. It's not easy to describe.

It’s strange: So when „it's not a physical pot“, the latency effect should be there at day 1 of the AxeFx II. BUT I noticed it not before V9 or so.

Back
Top Bottom