Nothing like a real Plexi

I've never played one from 65' - 69' with KT66's.

They are supposed to be less brittle sounding than the EL34 amps that started in 69'

hummmm....my guess is Cliff posted this with a specific idea on his mind...we might get another Plexi model....a mighty super FAS nuclear blast thunder storm Plexi...who knows?? ;)

I shipped my '69 plexi superlead 100 off to Dan Boul and Mike Franceschini @ 65Amps to be restored (new PT and OT from Mercury Magnetics as well as some other internals that needed replacing to put it back to original condition). It's still in LA if you need a loaner to model. Dan tells me it's on loan for some studio sessions at the moment but I'd be happy to divert it to Fractal if there is interest.

I've never played one from 65' - 69' with KT66's.

They are supposed to be less brittle sounding than the EL34 amps that started in 69'

I wouldn't say less brittle, though I would say they have quite a different midrange, which may explain "less brittle" to some.

Cheers,
Mo.

Damn ... I think Cliff needs a break. I always look forward to his posts. He usually posts a great clip or some tidbit of genius but that was kind of bizarre.

I hope Cliff will spill the beans on what year, model, output tubes and wattage his new real Plexi is.
I've owned Plexi's from '68, '69 and '73 both 50 and 100 watts versions and a '73 and '74 Super bass, and I can say for sure that although all of these sounded great and like a vintage Marshall should they each had a unique sound. The differences between the KT66 and EL34 or 50 vs 100 watts are definately not trivial IMHO.
Exciting times ahead, though I never found any reason to dislike the current Plexi Treble in the Axe II

Fantastic....it's my main preset !!! and i agree....nothin like a real plexi.
Please Cliff...next thing to do are the Frank Levi and Tim Caswell mods :twisted

I hope Cliff will spill the beans on what year, model, output tubes and wattage his new real Plexi is.
I've owned Plexi's from '68, '69 and '73 both 50 and 100 watts versions and a '73 and '74 Super bass, and I can say for sure that although all of these sounded great and like a vintage Marshall should they each had a unique sound. The differences between the KT66 and EL34 or 50 vs 100 watts are definately not trivial IMHO.
Exciting times ahead, though I never found any reason to dislike the current Plexi Treble in the Axe II

+1

I've always wanted a 50 watt KT66 plexi.

When i worked at gc back in ealry 90s' out in LA we had a silverface bassman that was awesome... sure enough it was right before the transformer blew.

Back
Top Bottom