Nothing like a real Plexi

Plexi's make me happy. Some of my favorite tones I've ever personally dialed in, are with Plexi sims, so adding more...well let's just say I'm not complaining ;)

Transformers and supply voltage. Those old transformers have paper separators which increases the leakage inductance. Normally leakage inductance is undesirable but in tube amps it does cool things.

My old Plexi is running 416 on the plates. My reissue was around 420 IIRC. IMO, the difference is the OT. The reissue has (had) a Dagnall. I believe Alan is replacing that with an MCI.

Thanks for the info, I have no doubt that the new model will be absolutely killer. I have one of those old magic marshalls (that I haven't played in about seven years because it is really loud!!!) I was able to get a pretty close match with my ultra and then turn it down to a much lower volume. However, part of the mojo is in those volume levels. For example, Jimi Hendrix type feedback is almost totally a volume thing; you just don't get the guitar/amp interaction at low volumes.
I can't wait to get the Axefx II!

I once had an early 70s 100W Marshall in my studio. We cranked it and it nearly crashed my room. It was insanely loud and one couldn't tell how it sounded except for the pain in the ear.
Directly after that I played my Ultra through an ART SLA-2 at the biggest volume it would produce. It sounded broken in comparison, because it wasn't nearly the volume of the Marshall and our ears were broken by it.
Looking forward to the new model in the II. ;-)

I love plexis. Used to own a '73 super lead 100w. It was a beast.
This thing even with volume on 0 was loud enough for practicing (!), but it was very brittle at very low volumes. All the magic happened when you put the volume on 4 (or higher). The sound fattened up, compressed, sustained forever (crazy dbs at that point) and was so articulate that made me realize how badly I needed to practice :p
Now, past 4-5 on the volume knob the amp wasn't actually getting much louder. It was just getting "angrier" and crunchier. The amp dimed (every single knob dimed) wasn't much louder (if any at all) than when the volume was on 5, but this amp on 5 is a painful (although at the same time beautiful :p) experience.
I could only play it for 20 minutes before my ears started ringing badly which of course meant that this had to stop ASAP.
Actually, that was the main reason I got the axe for, and that was the main reason I even found out about the axe.
I was looking for mods/MV installation on the metropolis web site (was also considering building a metro '68 plexi at the time) and a member in the forum had posted some very nice recordings of his ultra (or standard, I can't remember) with a plexi model. I was immediately impressed with the model and started researching about the axe. A few weeks of research later and my plexi went for sale (I actually sold it for more than I had given for).
I already owned a Vetta at the time, along with the plexi and a mesa boogie studio preamp with a 50/50 Boogie power amp.
With the plexi's sale, I got the axe and after hearing first hand (or...ear?) what it could do, I put up everything else for sale and I've been an extremely happy camper ever since (2008 ).
So for me personally, any news about more plexis or plexis-like are good news!
I'd love if Cliff could also model a metro 68 plexi someday (2 models actually, one with the variac on and one with off)...

Not to slight the metro amps, which I do like, but I am digging that FAS are getting real deal amps like this vintage plexi vs. reissues or clones.

Richard

Hey Cliff, does your metal panel 72 super lead sound like this?:

I sure hope that the new axe plexi will deliver "CHIRP" in spades! :D

My Booth was directly across from Friedman at NAMM. His amps are amazing. I had no idea how awesome they sound.
They sound like Marshall should. Marshalls are so inconsistent. Ive owned 7 Marshall Heads since 1978 of various models.
To capture the tone I was expecting I had to get them Modded.

One more thing,
Mark Day Was working the Booth for Friedman and had a chance to hear him play in person. I never really thought much of his YOUTUBE vids.
Let me tell you, Those vids do him no justice. He blew my mind. I have a new found respect for him and his playing. Makes me want to "hang it up".
Buts the Friedmans were so "pure" , Clear and refined. Just wish I could spring a few grand for The Brown eye.

Would prefer to hear more amp than the sound of the strings getting whacked with a pick. Man up dude, this is a classic plexi, I shouldn't be hearing anything but an animal of an amp.

Just sayin'.

Reactions: J.C
My Booth was directly across from Friedman at NAMM. His amps are amazing. I had no idea how awesome they sound.
They sound like Marshall should. Marshalls are so inconsistent. Ive owned 7 Marshall Heads since 1978 of various models.

One more thing,
Mark Day Was working the Booth for Friedman and had a chance to hear him play in person. I never really thought much of his YOUTUBE vids.
Let me tell you, Those vids do him no justice. He blew my mind. I have a new found respect for him and his playing. Makes me want to "hang it up".
Buts the Friedmans were so "pure" , Clear and refined. Just wish I could spring a few grand for The Brown eye.

The day I hear someone play an Axe-Fx, Kemper or any other modeler/profiler & sound as good as the Friedman BE-100 is the day that I know digital has fully arrived!

Mark Day has a video on You Tube of him playing the Axe-II with a Matrix amp thru 2 Friedman 4x12's. It sounds cool but not nearly as good as the real deal.

Maybe v10 with MIMIC will further close the gap!

One more thing,

I agree the Friedman amps at NAMM sounded great.

Not sure if you tried that new little Bogner head (began with an 'A'?)
I thought that was even better than the Friedman offerings.

None made me want to sell my Axe though :)

Now, past 4-5 on the volume knob the amp wasn't actually getting much louder. It was just getting "angrier" and crunchier. The amp dimed (every single knob dimed) wasn't much louder (if any at all) than when the volume was on 5, but this amp on 5 is a painful (although at the same time beautiful :p) experience....

Agreed. This matches my experience with every *decent* plexi I've played. Personal opinion is that it was perfect for me at 4-6 on the dial...twould clean up with volume knob, but still scream for me diggin in.

No, I have not experienced it yet with the Axe II. I've come close, but there's some dynamism that I couldn't quite find. It's probably my own laziness in finding the correct IR, but I'm one of those 'shouldn't have to work that hard' kind of guys...my own fault. FWIW, I was closest with V7 or 8 FW and the 'Buttery' model, but it changed pretty radically in subsequent FW's, so never could get back there.

I'm not sure, but does the axe-fx have the same amount of harmonic content/overtones and high end as what's happening in this clip from 0:15-0:19?

I heard that part a couple of times and to me the amp is sweeter and have more stuff going on in the top. Now it could be I only need to change my strings.

Did anyone else notice something beautiful in the clip from 0:15-0:19?

I'm not sure, but does the axe-fx have the same amount of harmonic content/overtones and high end as what's happening in this clip from 0:15-0:19?

I heard that part a couple of times and to me the amp is sweeter and have more stuff going on in the top. Now it could be I only need to change my strings.

Did anyone else notice something beautiful in the clip from 0:15-0:19?

I noticed that dude freakin rippin it up, LOL!

Yeah, that's his picking making those sounds as much as the amp. That's a "tone is in the fingers" moment if I ever heard it.

Just scored a '69 SLP 100. So V10 will have Plexi 50W Normal, Plexi 50W Treble, Plexi 100W Normal and Plexi 100W Treble.

Sweet....I'm very much looking forward to trying these out...these are such iconic amps. I've played dozens of 70's 50W and 100W Marshalls and a good one is pure magic....

Back
Top Bottom