Notes muddy on low strings

the frequency of A on the bottom string is 120Hz. look in the cab block - is there a low frequency parameter? (not sure about the AX8). if there is, it may well be set at 117Hz. if it is...lower the frequency to about 95Hz.

The Twin can get woofy; I love using it for edge of breakup cleans but I always dial the lows back quite a bit.

You should also try the Keith Urban 5F8 Twin and the Maz38 in your quest for country tone.
Just tried it& it's much better thanks. With my tele, bridge pos, I find that the high strings from the 10th fret onwards would break glass. When I try to take down the treble the lower notes loose their bite.

yeah, i second the 5F8 tweed. sounds really great with my tele. i run it into cab #20.

i have the drive set on 3, so it's clean and then for drive, i put the T808 in front with drive on 3 and level on 7

if you haven't already, check out yek's amp guide, or the wiki here - http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Amp:_all_models - it's packed full of really great info and tips. including which cabs to use with which amps for the most authentic tones.

yeah, i second the 5F8 tweed. sounds really great with my tele. i run it into cab #20.

i have the drive set on 3, so it's clean and then for drive, i put the T808 in front with drive on 3 and level on 7

if you haven't already, check out yek's amp guide, or the wiki here - http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Amp:_all_models - it's packed full of really great info and tips. including which cabs to use with which amps for the most authentic tones.
Yep have looked at it thanks first gig Saturday so fingers crossed

I must try the t808 , do you mean after the cab / before delay/ chorus reverb?

the frequency of A on the bottom string is 120Hz. look in the cab block - is there a low frequency parameter? (not sure about the AX8). if there is, it may well be set at 117Hz. if it is...lower the frequency to about 95Hz.

Open A is 110 Hz.

there's not holy grail, really. Mason plays everything, Urban likes Tweeds and Dumbles, Paisley prefers Vox flavored amps. Matchless always killed for me at those tones.

It was the fender twin based amp. I'm looking for a country sound & thats the holy grail of country sounding amp.

That's a good choice. I would also try what Phil says above-Good Advice. You definitely can get a real nice clean country tone from the ax8.....Also clean then a bit of breakup, kind of like Paisley.

Just tried it& it's much better thanks. With my tele, bridge pos, I find that the high strings from the 10th fret onwards would break glass. When I try to take down the treble the lower notes loose their bite.

You are describing the behavior of a real Twin and Tele :)

I've got a Twin that will take your head off with a Tele if you're not careful. With my Twin, once you get passed 2 or 3 on the volume you have to start killing the bass. Once I hit 6, the bass is almost all the way down. The high notes get tamed when you bring the volume up but I still keep the treble backed off. Don't be afraid to boost the mids to help your low notes.

Also since the Twin is a non-master volume amp, you should turn the master all the way up on the AX8 patch and use Drive as your volume control.

You are describing the behavior of a real Twin and Tele :)

I've got a Twin that will take your head off with a Tele if you're not careful. With my Twin, once you get passed 2 or 3 on the volume you have to start killing the bass. Once I hit 6, the bass is almost all the way down. The high notes get tamed when you bring the volume up but I still keep the treble backed off. Don't be afraid to boost the mids to help your low notes.

Also since the Twin is a non-master volume amp, you should turn the master all the way up on the AX8 patch and use Drive as your volume control.
Thanks I'll give it his a try

Keep the treble knob where you had it before, where it sounds great on lower notes and open chords. To fix the excessive treble, turn the high cut down in the cab block (between 6000-10000Hz). Don't be shocked if the plinky ice picks aren't gone until you get to 7000Hz. Ears, not eyes. Also, pay attention to the low end as well. If turning the bass knob down so much makes it sound too thin, just bring it up a tad, and finish the cutting of bass in the cab block's low cut.

Keep the treble knob where you had it before, where it sounds great on lower notes and open chords. To fix the excessive treble, turn the high cut down in the cab block (between 6000-10000Hz). Don't be shocked if the plinky ice picks aren't gone until you get to 7000Hz. Ears, not eyes. Also, pay attention to the low end as well. If turning the bass knob down so much makes it sound too thin, just bring it up a tad, and finish the cutting of bass in the cab block's low cut.

Great advice here , ..... Second only to the bass knob suggestion. I'll have to try that knob sometime myself.

Back
Top Bottom