Notes muddy on low strings

Dom1

Hello just got my Ax8 today. I'm have a simple setup amp- cab delay reverb, I'm getting a sound on the the high strings G,B,E that I'm happy with, when I start to move down onto the wound strings things get very muddy and the notes lose their definition. Any ideas, playing a fender tele?

Thanks

Dom

I have just used 1 amp so far. Plus when I play a low A note 5th string open & 6th string 5th fret my monitor sounds likes it's going to blow up.

If it sounds like it's going to blow up, TURN IT DOWN right away. Do things sound dramatically different at a very low level? Maybe you are just overdriving your monitor.

Also check your pups are not too high on your Tele, I lowered mine the other day and that cleared things up quite a bit, especially on my neck PAF.

Option A) engage "cut" in amp block (under bass parameter in 1st pg of amp block)

Option B) in cab block, slowly turn up "low cut" until the flabbiness goes away (don't look at the number- just listen); also, make sure it is set to 6db/oct.

Option C) setup a filter block at the beginning of the signal chain, that cuts some low end (though this is only necessary if your other pedals in front of the amp are also sensitive to excessive bass

Option D) in amp block, turn up "definition" parameter until the bass sounds right. If that adds to much top end, you can go back and turn down treble or presence in a variety of ways, in either the amp block or cab block.

Option E) if you are using a Compressor block in front, turn off "Auto," turn "Look Ahead" up to about .500, Attack 15-35 ms, "Filter" at or above 100Hz ("Studio Comp" only)

Option F) add a Sm57 mic in the cab block

Option G) pick a different cab

Option H) in cab block, disable "Proximity effect"

Option I) if using delay or reverb blocks, go to EQ page of that block and turn the low cut (high-pass filter) up to at least 120

Option J) if you have the "Boost" engaged within the amp block,....disengage it. Being on the front end of the amp, it can add significantly more bass (for better or worse). Use a T808 pedal in front of the amp block instead.

If it sounds like it's going to blow up, TURN IT DOWN right away. Do things sound dramatically different at a very low level? Maybe you are just overdriving your monitor.
The monitor is fine it's just them two notes seems to cause it problems

I'm going to try again in an hour or so. Thanks for for all the recommendations,
Are strings old and scummy?
strings are fine..... thanks
Also check your pups are not too high on your Tele, I lowered mine the other day and that cleared things up quite a bit, especially on my neck PAF.
Could be an issue as I have a mid pup added to my tele but never caused problems before.

Monitor starting to distort, going get it looked at. Still the low A notes causing the grief also. Hopefully it sorts some of the problems. If not I can't see me keeping the AX8. To far advanced for me.

I took a setting a forum member made, I messed around with it and with all your advice its starting to come together.

Thanks for all your help

Speaker resonance maybe needs to come down. It's probably set to 110hz. Check in the advance amp parameters and try bringing it down a bit. Also try adding a bit of low cut in your cab block. And just in general you need to find a cab IR that complements the amp type you are using. Makes all the difference.

It was the fender twin based amp. I'm looking for a country sound & thats the holy grail of country sounding amp.

The Twin can get woofy; I love using it for edge of breakup cleans but I always dial the lows back quite a bit.

You should also try the Keith Urban 5F8 Twin and the Maz38 in your quest for country tone.

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom