noisey patch

Tehmitt

So after the other guitarist in the band showed me the ways of this awesome unit I decided to get one. I spent a lot of time online reading the manual and trying to watch videos to understand and get comfortable with the unit.

He has a distortion patch that is absolutely quiet when not playing. I've made a couple of patches and even the factory ones I can hear some noise on. I then started a clean patch and went through every setting and made it exactly like his distortion patch but yet I'm still get noise. The sound is what I would describe as 60 cycle hum or dirty power, it's not terrible but I would still like to figure out why it is happening. Any suggestions?

Yes sorry I should have mentioned that. I am using a Fuhrman conditioner and my buddy's patch is quiet and then when I switch to my test patch where I made everything exactly the same it was noisy. So it's not power or global settings and really have no idea where to go from here.

id go block by block page by page through every possible setting and compare them side by side
to your buddies patch.. That's exactly what I did to create the "test" patch.

Also you guys using the same guitar cable ? We swapped while standing there, still noisy

What is your furhman reading at the wall 124 ? yes

Try using the same cord he is using and the same guitar and try both patches see if that matters..
if not its not the cable or the guitar....

One other thing have you tried building this patch on another spot ?
just rebuild it and in another slot and see if it makes noise there...yes and even the factory patches have noise, the one he built is just absolutely quiet and I love it

if So then its in the path..

Does he have noise gates ? yes, and I copied his exact settings...global included.

Also I think I may be describing this poorly. He sent me the patch via email and I loaded it into my AxeFX. His patch on my unit has absolutely no noise. When I created a patch on a different spot that was exactly the same(as far as I can tell) it had noise. Clicking between the two and you can tell the background noise. But when I play his patch on my AxeFx with my guitar and my cables, no noise. So I'm trying to understand how he got that so quiet so when I make my own patches I can do that as well.

Also I think I may be describing this poorly. He sent me the patch via email and I loaded it into my AxeFX. His patch on my unit has absolutely no noise. When I created a patch on a different spot that was exactly the same(as far as I can tell) it had noise. Clicking between the two and you can tell the background noise. But when I play his patch on my AxeFx with my guitar and my cables, no noise. So I'm trying to understand how he got that so quiet so when I make my own patches I can do that as well.

Noisegate.

Most all higher gain presets in the AXE FX II, and all higher amps in real life have some noise.

In addition- your guitar may be picking up up EMI and RF noise from the environment, dimmers, etc that is specific to your guitar in that context.
Obviously single coils are almost always an issue by nature. Humbuckers can also be an issue if you have a noisy EMI/RF context.

Adjust your noisegate. .

He plugged into mine and was getting the noise. It has to be something with the patch, I just don't know what. I know people are saying noisegate but I had thought I mimic'd all of his settings for the noisegate and when I play on his patch no noise, when I go to my test patch that I made all the settings the same from his, noise.

Post a sound clip man there's enough experience in this forum that some of these cats can hear it and tell you exactly where to look and how to comp

Have you matched any/all gate thresholds?
I thought I had unless, I am missing something.

Post a sound clip man there's enough experience in this forum that some of these cats can hear it and tell you exactly where to look and how to comp
I will try and get that done today, thanks for all the help!!

See above.

You have to copy your friend's noise gate settings if you want to have exactly the same patch. Noise gates have been known to clean up...well...noise issues. :)
I think I have, I just got this unit so not super familiar with it despite my best efforts so I'm likely missing something.

Global setting for "Noise gate offset" ok?
mine is at 0.00 db and I believe I checked his as well. But if its a global setting then shouldn't his patch be noisy as well? It's not with the same global settings his is quiet and mine is loud, same amp and cab and went through all the pages of settings and made them exactly the same.

Here are the two patches. The Distort is his original patch, the Distort(TEST) is mine with an attempt to copy it. Thanks again for all the help, this community is amazing! \m/

Attachments

• 2-Distort.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Distort(TEST).syx
    12.7 KB · Views: 4
Hope this sample is good enough, I just built a new computer and its not ready to record on yet. This is just the windows voice recorder but I think you can hear what I am talking about. Definitely feel like its a gate issue, just not sure where to find the missing puzzle piece.

EDIT - The first two are his patch the second two strums are mine. Its difficult to hear on this recording but the louder you get the more you can hear it and it is very noticeable with IEM

Last edited:
i looked at both. the input gate in your patch is off

you need to click on (or select via the front panel), the "input gate" vertical strip on the left side of the layout. his threshold is set to -63.5. yours is off.

i looked at both. the input gate in your patch is off

you need to click on (or select via the front panel), the "input gate" vertical strip on the left side of the layout. his threshold is set to -63.5. yours is off.

It appears as if that was it!! I thought for sure I checked that but apparently I didn't or did not save it correctly when sending out the patches. Thanks everyone for all of your help! Me and the axe have a long fruitful relationship ahead of us and you guys make it worth it! Now back to studying the user guide =P

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom