Noisegate Help for live use.

refractor

Okay guys I'm having a bit of trouble with the settings for the Noisegate live. Basically when my noisegate is set tight and fast, the way I like it, sustains and harmonics get cut out and so does feedback(intentional feedback).

Talking about hi gain patches here.

I used to use the podxt live prior to this and never faced this problem. Threshold on that used to be about -45/-50db thresh and 5-10% decay.

Currently on the axe : Around -50 to -60 thresh, Ratio around 3-4, attack 1-3ms and release around 25-30ms which are fairly fast settings.

What am I doing wrong? :(

I have a lotta sustained natural harmonics/feedback parts which I do live and the Noisegate just shuts them out for me! If I reduce the thresh, then the gate just isn't as tight as I like it to be and starts picking up minor feedback on chugs.

P.S : I don't go over with the drive on the amp. Its just around 1.5 to 2.5 max.

Also with the Pod settings back in the day, my sustain would be pretty infinite naturally going into feedback and harmonics would take quite a while to die out, still leaving that ring. With the axe, it just cuts into silence like someone came and put a blanket over.

I'm sure Im going wrong somewhere, so help would be appreciated! :)

I don't usually need my threshold set that high. I have a really good mix of tight gating and strong sustain. I remember having issues at first using my Axe-FX II at high volumes and getting tons of feedback. That was before I started running low and high pass filters in addition to keep my presence lower than I used to on my Ultra patches. I really haven't had any issues since then.

-50 and -60 sound very high. My noise gate is set between -70 and -80, other settings similar to yours. My amp drive might not be set as high as yours either, but I'm still getting a "Metallica" tone.

If you are playing tight palm mute staccato type riffs you first need to address the unwanted acoustic resonances of the guitar. I put foam beneath the strings behind the nut. If your guitar has a floating trem take some tissue and fold it neatly and cover the trem springs with it then put the trem cover back on. This has allowed me to use lower gate thresholds. Give it a shot you'll love it!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cool to see you guys are thinking about modifiers. Is it crazy to think that the noise gate could automatically adjust with the right balance of threshold and ratio? That would be cool.

shotgunn said:
If you are playing tight palm mute staccato type riffs you first need to address the unwanted acoustic resonances of the guitar. I put foam beneath the strings behind the nut. If your guitar has a floating trem take some tissue and fold it neatly and cover the trem springs with it then put the trem cover back on. This has allowed me to use lower gate thresholds. Give it a shot you'll love it!!!
Nice tip Shotgunn. I'm gonna try it myself.

I don't usually need my threshold set that high. I have a really good mix of tight gating and strong sustain. I remember having issues at first using my Axe-FX II at high volumes and getting tons of feedback. That was before I started running low and high pass filters in addition to keep my presence lower than I used to on my Ultra patches. I really haven't had any issues since then.
Hi Larrikin,
I do have the same problem ..at high gain patches and volume..uncontrolable feedback..please tell me how do you use low and high pass filters.example will be welcome..thank you very much

I put my spare hairband around the strings, right behind the nut and it works just as well :D. Still facing this problem though :(.

Lets see, I'll give the other settings posted here a shot too, hopefully something good should come out of it!

Hi Larrikin,
I do have the same problem ..at high gain patches and volume..uncontrolable feedback..please tell me how do you use low and high pass filters.example will be welcome..thank you very much

The nice thing about the two is that you can utilize these in the amp block. Use the hi and lo cut. I generally take out everything below 100 and over 10,000. You may need to adjust to taste. You can also throw an additional filter at the end of your chain if you are worried about excess highs coming from your cab/mic combination.

My Typical Setting for the Noise Gate is Threshold:75 Ratio:3 Release:100 Attack:10
I never had the need to go above 65 for Threshold on Any Patch.

That's good advice for any playing style. I also have foam behind the nut and in the spring cavity.

Thanks for the link. I'm going to try these.

Edit: I think I changed my mind after learning that they overcharge for shipping. I wanted to order several small items that could easily fit in a small USPS flat rate box. They want three times the price. I'll stick with my current solution.

An item that costs $21.90 from Stewart-MacDonald costs $37.40 from this place.

Last edited:
I've always used a piece of foam under my trem springs.

On the gate, I do it per preset but default to 5ms on attack, 100ms for release and then turn the threshold down till the noise is mostly gone (though NOT entirely) with my hands off the strings. On my highest gain settings I think I am in the -80db range. Most of my mid-gain and clean are more like -90db.

The trem on my superstrat (trem-king) actually came with foam that fit inside the springs. Smart.

Thanks for the link. I'm going to try these.

Edit: I think I changed my mind after learning that they overcharge for shipping. I wanted to order several small items that could easily fit in a small USPS flat rate box. They want three times the price. I'll stick with my current solution.

An item that costs $21.90 from Stewart-MacDonald costs $37.40 from this place.

Ouch!! I don't remember the shipping being that bad but it is..

Dave

Back
Top Bottom