[NGD] Kiesel...But Pickups Sound Terrible! Help!

The Ragnaroks are awesome. The Juggernauts and Nailbombs are also good. My favs for 7 string right now are the BKP Aftermaths and the SD Sentient/Nazgul set.

With BKP's you can never go wrong IMO. All my other guitars have BKP's. My personal favorites from them are the Black Dog set and Juggernaut set.

Here are some of the dimarzios I've tried.

Bridge pickups:
Tone zone - nice crunchy pickup with harmonics and a nice "vowel" or vocal sounding tone on a lead sound. May have too much bass compared to a lot of modern "metal" pickups. Has just an OK clean sound even when split.
D-sonic - this pickup has a lot of balls, great for heavy music. Not so great for clean sounds or soft picking. It's a pretty compressed pickup.
Crunch lab - a little beefier version of the D-sonic. It was a little too boomy for me. I liked the d-sonic better.
Evolution - this pickup screams. Harmonics jump out and they can sustain forever literally. surprisingly great clean sounds when split. It's pretty compressed though so not so great for soft picking dynamics.
Dominion - Very tight and agressive pickup with a TON of mids. It almost sounds like you have a wah half cocked all of the time. Not great cleans. Works for agressive in your face sound.
Fred - (satriani used to use this) It's crunchy with lots of harmonics and a light upper mid spike which gives it a signature sound. Great in all situations from cleans, soft picking, split, leads, riffs, you name it. This pickup just sounds good period. You pick hard, it crunches. You pick soft and it cleans up. This really showed me what all of the high output pickups were lacking.... Dynamics.

Neck pickups:
Air norton - nice smooth singing pickup but it still has an edge to it. Great for leads and cleans. This pickup is just a classic.
Evolution - pretty much just like a neck version of the evo bridge model. See above.
paf pro - nice bubbly sounding paf, very smooth yet with a crisp edge and harmonics. Sounds great split or humbucking, clean or with distortion. One of my favorites.
Dominion - just like a neck version of the dominion bridge. Too much treble for a neck pickup in my opinion.
breed neck - one of my favorite neck pickups. It's like a higher output version of the paf pro. maybe a little fatter sounding.

OK, I got a little carried away. I'm bored sorry.

Thank you for sharing your experience with these pickups.

I concur with your thoughts about the Fred. I used one at my RG550LTD in the 90's, and the tone was great plugged into a Marshall JMP-1 and a Boss GX-700 (FRFR setup). Later on I replaced it with several other pickups and ended up with a Suhr Aldrich, which I love and I am not changing because it has a special punch at the mids.

Since you like the Satchur8, how does it compare with the Fred?

Now I am considering replacing the bridge Tone Zone in a RG8550MZ. I am pondering the Fred and the Satchur8, and I am wondering why Satch left the Fred behind and now prefers the Satchur. It seems it has more mids and lo-mids than the Fred, and more output. But does it has as much dynamics as the Fred?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom