NGD - DGT

I think I prefer the StringSwing aesthetics over DiamondLife, but I am now confused about wood vs aluminum. Are the wholly aluminum ones actually stronger than the wooden ones with aluminum slats? I have a hard time following that, considering how lightweight guitars are and how durable wood framed houses are.

I think I prefer the StringSwing aesthetics over DiamondLife, but I am now confused about wood vs aluminum. Are the wholly aluminum ones actually stronger than the wooden ones with aluminum slats? I have a hard time following that, considering how lightweight guitars are and how durable wood framed houses are.
I think the aluminum are superior but either should be fine if installed properly and following their install instructions.

Wood (especially MDF) is much more likely to break than metal...

Wood framed houses are made of much stouter cuts of wood and have many reinforcement studs. Very different structural use.

Congrats on the new guitar. I played the DGT and liked it (just couldn't afford it). I felt that the neck profile is slightly less chunky than the PRS 'pattern vintage' found on the McCarty 594(?). BTW you have a nice guitar family.

I live in Northern California & we experience earthquakes regularly. Safest place for your guitar when not in use in the case or an individual Hercules earthquake hanger.

I don't want to sound like a bummer, but I've been a professional repairman for almost 25 years. I've never had to repair a guitar because it was put in its case; however, I've had to repair hundreds that were left out on stands.

The wall hangers are definitely much safer than a floor stand. The repairs I usually see from guitars stored on hangers are from lack of humidity. So I end up repairing acoustic braces that crack, tops that split, bridges that lift & fretboard shrinkage. Usually in homes where firewood is a source of heat.

I was working at the local music store when I was younger & we had a nice sized quake. All the guitars were on those string swing style rail hangers. Nothing fell of the wall, but all the guitars were bashing together & there was definitely finish damage to many as a result.

Cheers!

https://www.sweetwater.com/c1107--G...yWblANgqK1nSrnBS8G0aAizrEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I was working at the local music store when I was younger & we had a nice sized quake. All the guitars were on those string swing style rail hangers. Nothing fell of the wall, but all the guitars were bashing together & there was definitely finish damage to many as a result.

Cheers!

One of the nice things about Phoenix- no earthquakes, no alligators, no snow.

Now if we could get rid of the snowbirds.... :D

2022 DGT, which @Budda found used for me at a store about an hour and a half from my place. Plays like an absolute dream, and is in just about mint condition. From what I can see, it's barely used. It weighs 8.14 lbs, which isn't anywhere near the lightest DGT ever made, but it is way lighter than my Les Paul. It's an extremely resonant instrument; you can feel it vibrate across your whole body when you pick an open string with your finger. And it sustains forever. Forever. I haven't timed it, but it's very easily over 30 seconds.
I had these…
1708895760774.jpeg
The cherry burst, a 10-top, is intimidatingly pretty, to the point I was afraid to play it. They're both from '08, the first year they came out and have settled into their mid-teen years very well. I eventually gave the cherry-burst to my son-in-law, which he uses in his own band.

The gold top has finish checking, dings, chips, and worming on the back from a rough childhood, but it has plenty of life in it and sounds like an old Les Paul.

I live in Northern California & we experience earthquakes regularly. Safest place for your guitar when not in use in the case or an individual Hercules earthquake hanger.
I use the Hercules hangers now, and generally like them, but I like the old design much more than the new ones with the additional piece for Fender-style necks.

And thankfully, no earthquakes here, but that would change the calculus a lot about how we use walls where I live (wall-mounted everything is very normal here).

Sound samples for @Budda available here.

The neck pickup sample is with tone and volume a little below half each. The bridge sound is with everything all out, because I truly lack subtlety. Everything is using a 59 SLP, with a York Audio MV30 4x12 and the 1960B speaker impedance curve. Otherwise, gain and bass around noon, mids cranked, treble at like 2pm, presence at 1pm. Simple. Sounds incredible. Gotta try some high gain next. (And please excuse the sloppy playing. I get nervous as soon as see a Record button.)

This thing is so inspiring. Riff writing to time played ratio is very, very high.

Honestly, I've been A/Bing back and forth, and I rarely curse in real life on principle, but this smokes the s*** out of my Custom 24 Piezo, to the point where I feel bad for that guitar.

I'm using String Swing hangers with the Diamondlife slat system. I like the String Swing hangers much better than the Diamondlife hangers that I was using. As far as strength, I would think the Stringswing would be stronger but the Diamondlife works just fine.

@nathan_393 can we get the everything dimed edition of the neck later? I dont do a lot of volume rolled down haha.

I see the piezo turning into a nice lemony dgt later..

@nathan_393 can we get the everything dimed edition of the neck later? I dont do a lot of volume rolled down haha.

I see the piezo turning into a nice lemony dgt later..
Your wish is my command. Here's the neck, fully dimed. I am still using the same preset (got stuck here, as it happens), and I'll add the caveat that I'm a couple beers in now, so, you know, YMMV and I apologize in advance.

Back
Top Bottom