Newb question - using the Axe II with a Quadraverb?

Perhaps in your world post count means something significant. In my world it just means that you spend a lot of time typing, and if most of your posts are anything like what you posted in this thread, the significance is subjective.

In this world, there is FractalAudio (Cliff Chase, inventor of the AxeFX), Admin M@ (does everything from booking plane tickets TO SETTING UP STEVE VAI'S RIG), Mark Day (Fractal Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentary), Yek (Genius Level: 3000) and then everybody else.

In this world, there is FractalAudio (Cliff Chase, inventor of the AxeFX), Admin M@ (does everything from booking plane tickets TO SETTING UP STEVE VAI'S RIG), Mark Day (Fractal Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentary), Yek (Genius Level: 3000) and then everybody else.

Don't forget Simeon the effects wiz!

I didn't ask for opinions on the Quadraverb, just connectivity with it.
Welcome to the forums. people are generally helpful, but do not forget we are guitarists.... answering a question without stating an opinion does happen, just not often [emoji13]

BTW I still own 2 quadraverb and 2 midiverb 4 units. I got them for about $25 each and used to use them for our old PA before I got the X32.

Great units and still going strong 20+ years later.

Last edited:
Used a Quadraverb for years. It was cool back in the day. If you dig it, use it.

@Cliff:

Out of pure curiosity (if you ever get the time to answer):

What more gear did you use (as in connected and used as a 'full' system)?
Why the choice of those units (if any specific reason)?
And did any of those units or your system (and/or the features in there), become the 'ground' for how you started envision the first Axe Fx as a hardware unit with its specific features?

To OP: possible indeed. Out of curiosity regarding the Quadraverb (never owned one myself), what kind of modulation does it have that are its strenght according to you?

I wonder how many of the jerkoffs that show up knowing everything are actually just Aftermath making new accounts.

I ordered a quadraverb, because I honestly find that it is hard to make the axe fx sound shitty/like early 90's digital processors. The ways you could hook it up are midi connection, stereo fx loop, or even send the SPDIF signal from the quadraverb into the axe fx spdif. I think everyone on this form is right that the fx sounds way better and you "should" just use those mod/verb/delay fx on the axe. But shit some of the sounds on the quadraverb are so quirky and have that great 90's shoegaze vibe. So I am going to use the quadraverb for layers. The axe is so high quality, but it is hard to get that really uinique 90's digital lo fi. Literally anything else is doable, and it is do able to get that 90's tone out of it with the mods/verbs/delay/ pedal in the fx loop, but the timbre/character is not as exact as those early digital processors. Yeah making a whole record with a quadraverb would be hard, but using it for layers with the axe could equal some awesome songs. Cause alot of 90's records used digital racks for verb, delay, mod. ( plus running all that through eq, mixing boards, compressors, limiters, early digital editing gives a more polished sound) I would argue with the axe and quadraverb you could attain that high level of studio quality/processing with older digital processors.

I had a Quadraverb back in the day. Really grainy reverbs but that may be what the OP wants. It will degrade the signal due to old, outdated converters, mediocre clock, cheap analog circuits going in & out, etc. At least you can bypass it by bypassing the FX loop block so it only needs to affect the signal when it is being used. The Axe is extreamly flexible in how it can be used.

I can hear my Quadraverb crying from it's road case as I read this! ......but it may be because it has not seen the light of day since I got my axe four years ago :)

I still keep a Quadraverb around for a particular lo-fi sound. BTW, there was no need to trash the OP back in January. That kind of boorishness is disappointing in this forum.

I'm not sure about that, the tone changed when the OP posted:

I didn't ask for opinions on the Quadraverb, just connectivity with it.

Which seemed pretty disrespectful to me, given that the "extra" advice given about skipping the QV was well intentioned.

Wow a Quadraverb thread! Sorry going OT here, but if anybody could take a min to see if there is an EQ setting in preset #18 (Med VocalPlate), I'd be much obliged... My lcd screen faded out years ago and I'd love to be able to replicate preset #18 in AxeFX... the tone / EQ of that preset is a gem for ambient vox... Thanks.

Wow a Quadraverb thread! Sorry going OT here, but if anybody could take a min to see if there is an EQ setting in preset #18 (Med VocalPlate), I'd be much obliged... My lcd screen faded out years ago and I'd love to be able to replicate preset #18 in AxeFX... the tone / EQ of that preset is a gem for ambient vox... Thanks.
there is EQ in that preset, but non of the frequencies are boosted. all on 0dB.

Some folks should take care to remember that what sounds good or bad is subjective. Just because something is newer or more powerful doesn't mean it's inherently better. If that were the case then vintage gear would be incredibly cheap, right? : ) Don't be so quick to judge folks on the gear they want to use.

In the end it's all about getting the sounds you need to make the music you hear in your head,

Thanks VegaBaby, much obliged! Ok now I need to figure out why it sounds so sweet, hope I didn't EQ it about 15 years ago!
it's using the 3band EQ, with freqs at 200, 2000 (1 oct) and 8000 as default. hope you get the tone back :)

I used a Quadraverb for vocals for over 15 years and made quite a good living. They were great back in there day. It's good that you checked because you only have our word that you will not need or or even want to use it.
But I understand you need to hear that for yourself---so have at it and enjoy whatever you do. Mine died-in fact it was 2008, the year I bought my first AxeFX.........Never looked for another one though. Great unit. BTW I still have my old Boss GX700-I would have kept the the QV had it not konked out.

I'm not sure about that, the tone changed when the OP posted:

Which seemed pretty disrespectful to me, given that the "extra" advice given about skipping the QV was well intentioned.

Well intentioned or not, there was a mild superiority on display. The OP clearly wanted to know in the opening post about connectivity. Although the initial replies seemed innocent enough, I could see why he/she got her/his hackles up.

Used a Quadraverb for years. It was cool back in the day. If you dig it, use it.

Exactly.

Back in the day, I used a quadraverb in front of a twin and a deluxe reverb to "stereoize" the sound. I used the rotating speaker sim with a controller pedal to modulate the speed and it sounded glorious! That was my clean sound. I had an ab box that switched me over to a jcm800 for my distortion. Yep, a twin, a deluxe reverb, and a marshall. I defy the axefx to simulate what that did to my back.

Back
Top Bottom