New user somewhat confused

Stratman68

Axe-Master
Hi-Well, yes I have only had my Standard for 4 hours. But being a PC tech all my life, and I am old :), thecpu fan is really loud to me-louder than my intel core 2 duo 6600 with 4 hard drives in it? Is this normal? also the firmware is the newest so does that mean the presets are also? I won't ask or give an opinion about the sound yet(for me I mean) buti don't know if I can get past the noise.
Thanks

If you decide the fan is too loud, PM me. I am looking for a back up unit and would be happy to trade you for my rack POD- I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a fan.

;)

-Phil

P.S. - Or, do a search of the forum for the thread about replacing the fan....

Stratman68 said:
Hi-Well, yes I have only had my Standard for 4 hours. But being a PC tech all my life, and I am old :), thecpu fan is really loud to me-louder than my intel core 2 duo 6600 with 4 hard drives in it? Is this normal? also the firmware is the newest so does that mean the presets are also? I won't ask or give an opinion about the sound yet(for me I mean) buti don't know if I can get past the noise.
Thanks

Yes, the fan is normal. Yes, if the firmware is the latest, the presets are the latest.

If you don't like the noise of the fan, it is easily replaced with a quieter one. Being a PC Tech, it should be quite simple for you.

Philip said:
If you decide the fan is too loud, PM me. I am looking for a back up unit and would be happy to trade you for my rack POD- I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a fan.

;)

-Phil

P.S. - Or, do a search of the forum for the thread about replacing the fan....

Wow-excuse me I guess-Welcome to the axe forum-I asked asimple? and get 2 smarta## replies? Why?
Thanks so much

I think they were trying to be funny, not smartasses. The true meaning of things is often lost on forums due to the lack of visual interaction.

FractalAudio said:
I think they were trying to be funny, not smartasses. The true meaning of things is often lost on forums due to the lack of visual interaction.

Yes-I imagine you are correct. The $$ for the Axe FX standard is a lot to me-So I just wanted to know if the fan noise was normal. Just quite shock for my first, maybe last post. Doesn't really make you feel welcome or comfortable,
Oh well-that's just me.
Thanks for your reply admin

Stratman68 said:
FractalAudio said:

Yes-I imagine you are correct. The $$ for the Axe FX standard is a lot to me-So I just wanted to know if the fan noise was normal. Just quite shock for my first, maybe last post. Doesn't really make you feel welcome or comfortable,
Oh well-that's just me.
Thanks for your reply admin

Hey Stratman68! Welcome to the forum and the Axe-Fx family!! You may need to thicken the skin a bit in this forum. There is a lot of knowledge and info available in this community and no shortage of folks who will help you out on your Axe journey. And remember, the search function is your friend.

javajunkie said:
Stratman68 said:
Thanks

Yes, the fan is normal. Yes, if the firmware is the latest, the presets are the latest.

If you don't like the noise of the fan, it is easily replaced with a quieter one. Being a PC Tech, it should be quite simple for you.

Actually, I wasn't trying to be a smart ass or funny.

Yes it is normal. With your tech skills you can easily install a quieter fan (considering many here w/o any tech skills have done it). I just answered your question and gave you a suggestion on how to correct it if the noise bothers you, nothing more. Sorry if that sounds smart ass. I was being serious.

Yeah, that wasn't just an admin... that's the guy who made the product.

I think on this, and many other product forums, people can tend to get a bit "smart assy" when the same issue comes up over and over and over and over...

if you think this fan one is bad, how about that "omgz no more sound afer 7.0 update" or whatever. :shock:

to the original poster, this is a wonderful forum with a wealth of information. i hope you stay and read a lot and post a lot too. we're here to help, but we have a sense of humor too.

good luck on that fan.

Yes, yes yes....I kid, I kid. Welcome to Axe Land. We all love each other here, so feel free to make the jokes.

Anyhoo, learn to love the search function. I actually learn a lot by searching terms that I don't want to know about. Seriously, search "bikini".

Now, go Axe yourself!

-Phil

I'm just curious, where do you keep your AxeFx? Mine is sandwiched in a rack and the fan noise hasn't been an issue. Since others have mentioned the noise, I was wondering if it's because it's kept out or in a rack case.

I can see if my Axe-fx was in a studio how the fan would be annoying... but in a loud ass band with one guitar player/singer with two 4x12 cabs blasting (me!), a bass player whom we encourage to turn it up loud to hear that thump, a percussionist/guitarist/singer whom we encourage to bang the shit out of his dwums and we've also told him to get an additional cab to go along with his 4x12 because he's just not loud enough, a screamer/singer whom is one of the best full body screamers I've ever seen live (think Slipknot, maybe not exactly but close, definitely not a fake screamer like the Lamb of God or Ill Nino brands), and a drummer whom I've encouraged over the last couple of years that any good metal drummer beats the shit out of his wife... I mean dwums. :D

So for me... a little fan noise is something I've never noticed.

P.S. Maybe if it was this big I would notice it...

10-17-05BigFan_lg.jpg

P.S.S. I forgot... Welcome to the forum!!!! Don't be a pussy!!! ;) J/K... Wait until you have to ask Jay anything... But seriously, welcome to the fold... cuz the way I see it, the more Axe-fx users we have the less tube snobz there will be in this world... unless they have both tubes and an Axe-fx, then we're all SOL. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Funny, I really don't find the fan noisy at all. It's not any more noise than my PC, BUT there is some external noise and that does add up if you are in a studio situation for sure. It's a simple trade off in my point of view. If you feel so inclined there are ways to replace it with a quieter one. FWIW's the gate and simple fact that I NO LONGER NEED TO MIC A GUITAR AMP (talk about extraneous noise!) when recording because I can get great tones direct to disk is a freaking Godsend.
OP, I definitely hear you on people getting a little touchy with initial posts sometimes but:
This is your first post, your shocked at how loud the fan noise is (..."don't know if I can get past it"...) and you're hinting that you don't approve of the presets AND the overall sound quality of the unit after four hours... you can see how some might get a little touchy. Give it a little time bro, much to learn on here. Have fun and good luck!
EDIT: But, if after say 14 days you still don't dig it remember to contact Fractal for a full refund.

i'm still amazed they havnet fixed the fan issue yet. sure it doesnt bother some but it is very annoying when you are trying to record or dial in clean patches.

Cliff... put the cases of old fans you have on ebay and buy some new ones. I'm sure the quieter ones cost more, and if thats a problem, just raise the price or add it as an option.

mortega76 said:
P.S.S. I forgot... Welcome to the forum!!!! Don't be a pussy!!! ;) J/K... Wait until you have to ask Jay anything...

I don't know why but this made me spit my drink out. :lol: I've learned a lot from Jay (the stuff that I could understand anyway) but when he starts going Gordon Ramsey on some people, I just gotta pull out the popcorn and watch the fireworks. Great entertainment.

acwild said:
mortega76 said:
P.S.S. I forgot... Welcome to the forum!!!! Don't be a pussy!!! ;) J/K... Wait until you have to ask Jay anything...

I don't know why but this made me spit my drink out. :lol: I've learned a lot from Jay (the stuff that I could understand anyway) but when he starts going Gordon Ramsey on some people, I just gotta pull out the popcorn and watch the fireworks. Great entertainment.

:lol: I hear ya bro, same here, I have to say that Jay Mitchell has made my day in so many ways here on the forum. And to the OP, try not to take anything too personal here, always better to assume that all is in good humour. And it can be very entertaining ;)

Back
Top Bottom