New User Banned From The Gear Page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being banned from a site can also be a compliment. Feel yourself awarded ;)

I have no idea what has happened at TGP below the surface, but with the unexplainable banning and all, it has become a pretty weird environment.
Basically, I think it's to do with money and/or fanboi-ism. You can criticize and make jokes about the Helix as much as you want. Axe too. Give even the barest of criticisms or mild mockery to the QC, and everyone comes out of the wood works to mass report you, and the mods are on side with that. This is the entire reason the gear forum was set up in the first place.

FWIW @ruso you show as sharing IPs with a bunch of people on this forum. That has nothing to do with anything you can really control. It likely means you're browsing from a cellular network that those other users also happen to use. But if someone was recently banned, and then you made an account from an IP that they also recently used, it would show up in the moderators dashboard as suspicious.

Unlikely something malicious on their part and just bad signal from the software.

You even share a recent IP with me. :)

Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 9.06.29 AM.png

FWIW @ruso you show as sharing IPs with a bunch of people on this forum. That has nothing to do with anything you can really control. It likely means you're browsing from a cellular network that those other users also happen to use. But if someone was recently banned, and then you made an account from an IP that they also recently used, it would show up in the moderators dashboard as suspicious.

Unlikely something malicious on their part and just bad signal from the software.

You even share a recent IP with me. :)

View attachment 116931
I’m not network-savy one iota. I was literally pulling theories out of my ass.

I used to really like that place but yeah something has definitely changed there recently. The mods are out of control. Somebody made a thread asking what "rumors" they've heard in the guitar world recently, so naturally I said I heard John Mayer went to the house of the guy who started Kemper and upper-decked his toilet.

Multi-day ban for "inappropriate behavior."

Sorry, I thought I was speaking to musicians, not a bunch of toddlers who can't hear "no no" words like "upper decking." ESPECIALLY if it's about guitar celebrities.

Lately though, the quality of the content over there is getting really poor. The other day I responded to basically a full-page thread of people all congratulating themselves for 'realizing' that "name brand 4x12 cabs are a waste of money, it's just a box with speakers in it, how different can they possibly sound, you're just paying for a logo" and after I got done laughing I explained why that's not the case.

Asking the question "is there a difference between 4x12 cabs" is fine if you don't have the experience to know, but I couldn't get over how many people responded with "no difference, you're just paying for the name, sucker!" and then on the other end of the idiot scale, other people insisting that "tone" is directly related to how much something costs and "if a cab doesn't have dovetail joints I'm totally unimpressed" and all that garbage.

Basically, I find myself caring less and less if I catch a ban for the crime of casually not being bubbly enough about some celebrity or name brand item. The place just isn't what it used to be.

Last edited:
I got suspended last year for a comment on a Pub thread in which I suggested that Chuck Todd isn't good about asking follow-up questions. I have not been back since.

The question remains - why ever using a message-board and for what reasons. I often got called out being a troll for telling others stop trolling by telling false assumptions and conclusions about products and software (which I own and others often not - but they keep talking about it). But often they told me to stick to my own advices not knowing that people like me have a huge and very profound technical knowledge and factual background. Which makes me to stay out of various boards for exact this reason.

There are a few things regarding support - if you need support or advice outside of the manual, write to offical support channels. The staff working there are trained professionals who are willing to help you. Most message-boards, you ask a question and get 27 answers, the majority of stuff you don't asked for. People often use message boards not only to share opinions, they also share "others" opinions , which mostly aren't relevant to a question.
If you use message boards, try to stick to the share stuff part - your music, your patches or your opinions on others contributions msucially, say thank you to those who do the job and do the housekeeping. If these guys are acting as wankers, stay out of the board or the group on FB - time isn't worth it ;)

I should also stick to these advices from time to time, but we are all humans, sort of....we all do our mistakes ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom