New Suhr has "dead" notes :(

You are constantly snooping for no reason, just as I suspected

Again, I asked my buddy, the OP, unix, a question, that you’ve gone so far out of your way to insert yourself into, just to be bother....

Are you really that bored? Why don’t you take a break instead of lookin for nonsense to stir up

like ..... really.......
If you ONLY want to talk to unix, use a PM! Your initial post took a really snide shot a Suhr for no reason what so ever, even if there wasn't major world wide pandemic! Welcome to my ignore list.

Hi,

Easy way to figure if the issue is a deadspot is to gently push the headstock directly against a wall. This will change the resonance frequence of the neck, and the note will magically ring out, if it's a deadspot caused by resonance frequence.
Ahh... Thanks for mentioning that. I remembered reading this elsewhere but then I forgot about. Definitely going to try that out.
I had a very disappointing PRS Custom 24 which had a total deadspot on G string octave, like zero sustain. On H-string the same note would transfer to a harmonic. Nothing could be done to that. Fat finger claims that their product could change the neck resonance, but it didn't work. Sold the guitar, buyer never complained, but I felt kind of bad. There are rumors that the neckheel of Custom 24 was changed to bigger version because of deadspot problems, but mine was a newer one with bigger heel.

I think every guitar has some weaker and sweeter sounding notes, but when it's really bad it becomes a deadspot. Usually the problem area is around G string octave, and most appearent on high gain.

My Suhr Modern has a weaker note on G# octave, but nowhere as bad as the Custom 24's G.
I guess I've been really lucky. Also seems more prevalent on 24 fret necks, of which I have only a few.

I just tested my Suhr Modern and, lo-and-behold, it has a dead note in almost the same place. It's just slightly sharp of G. It's worse on the G string but happens on all strings. It's probably not as bad as yours but the sustain on that note is noticeably worse than notes below and above it.

I just tested my Suhr Modern and, lo-and-behold, it has a dead note in almost the same place. It's just slightly sharp of G. It's worse on the G string but happens on all strings. It's probably not as bad as yours but the sustain on that note is noticeably worse than notes below and above it.
Sorry to you and Unix then!

Cliff, you’re a pretty resourceful guy. What’s your theory on this?

This thread made me curious so I pulled out my Suhr Custom Modern to check it out and see if it has this same problem.

It does not.

It did remind me of why my Jackson Dinky is my #1 though. The Titanium Floyd Rose on that thing is a game changer.

The Suhr plays great and is a great instrument but it can’t keep up with the feel and tone the Titanium brings.

After you saying by pressing the headstock against the wall, it made a difference, I thought of an old trick that a luthier you have all heard of taught me years ago....

One caveat, I have never tried this on a locking nut guitar, but it has worked a treat on non locking trems for me- I replaced the tuner buttons/knobs with a lighter material (ie. plastic or ebony). By changing the mass of the headstock, it might change the resonant frequency enough to alleviate or lessen the issue.

I believe the Suhr locking tuners are made by Schaller. Stew Mac has plenty of options for replacement buttons/knobs. https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_an...s/Tuner_Parts/Schaller_Replacement_Knobs.html

Another thing, and I'm sure you have done this already, but tighten the two screws that hold the locking nut in place.

Worth a shot.

Scotty A.

After you saying by pressing the headstock against the wall, it made a difference, I thought of an old trick that a luthier you have all heard of taught me years ago....

One caveat, I have never tried this on a locking nut guitar, but it has worked a treat on non locking trems for me- I replaced the tuner buttons/knobs with a lighter material (ie. plastic or ebony). By changing the mass of the headstock, it might change the resonant frequency enough to alleviate or lessen the issue.

I believe the Suhr locking tuners are made by Schaller. Stew Mac has plenty of options for replacement buttons/knobs. https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_an...s/Tuner_Parts/Schaller_Replacement_Knobs.html

Another thing, and I'm sure you have done this already, but tighten the two screws that hold the locking nut in place.

Worth a shot.

Scotty A.
Good idea - I can try just taking a few of the buttons off to see if that helps.

Also, I did not think about the screws for the locking nut - I'll check them, too.

Thanks!

This has me wondering if this would change what you are experiencing:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...odctry=US&prodlang=en&channel=online&storeid={product_store_id}&device=t&network=g&matchtype=&locationid={loc_phyiscal_ms}&creative=285723450872&targetid=pla-475396192507&campaignid=1465808371&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI14_blsm26AIVJYNaBR00SAcREAQYASABEgJCYPD_BwE
I've considered getting one to try but I've also seen many people post that they don't help at all.

Actually, JS suggested just using a clip on tuner. That made no difference in my case.

I bought that Fender FatFinger but it didn't remove the C(523Hz) dead note from my J-Custom. It is a nice paperweight, though

Back
Top Bottom