New Suhr has "dead" notes :(

I've considered getting one to try but I've also seen many people post that they don't help at all.

Actually, JS suggested just using a clip on tuner. That made no difference in my case.
I found this over on TGP: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...-how-can-you-tell-and-what-causes-it.1228544/

Lines up with what you are experiencing.

I think the amount of weight/mass you add to the headstock is key. The wall is a huge mass that can affect the necks vibration. A clip on tuner.... not so much.

I am not suggesting you do this, but rather thinking out loud. I suspect adding a piece of Tungsten to the headstock would probably add enough mass to have some effect (tungsten is some heavy ass material). Would probably also add enough weight to make the guitar top heavy and prone to nose dives.

Having played a guitar with titanium parts, I can tell you that Titanium nuts, saddles, and sustain blocks all have significant impact on the resonance of a guitar. They fundamentally alter the interplay between the strings and the neck/body of the guitar (They add considerable passive sustain too). The strings feel more energetic with titanium parts. Perhaps a Titanium nut or sustain block upgrade could could be your way out if this?

I realize @Piing said that a brass sustain block did not help. I have used steel, brass, copper, tungsten, zinc alloy, and titanium sustain blocks. I have used brass, steel, stock, zinc alloy, and titanium nuts for my OFRs. Titanium is different. IME all metals beside Titanium are like a filter, they are highly biased to specific frequencies. They are eager to absorb vibrations, particularly those in specific resonance frequencies.

In my experience, Titanium is less eager to absorb sympathetic vibrations and does so with less frequency bias.

Last edited:
I found this over on TGP: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...-how-can-you-tell-and-what-causes-it.1228544/

Lines up with what you are experiencing.

I think the amount of weight/mass you add to the headstock is key. The wall is a huge mass that can affect the necks vibration. A clip on tuner.... not so much.

I am not suggesting you do this, but rather thinking out loud. I suspect adding a piece of Tungsten to the headstock would probably add enough mass to have some effect (tungsten is some heavy ass material). Would probably also add enough weight to make the guitar top heavy and prone to nose dives.

Having played a guitar with titanium parts, I can tell you that Titanium nuts, saddles, and sustain blocks all have significant impact on the resonance of a guitar. They fundamentally alter the interplay between the strings and the neck/body of the guitar (They add considerable passive sustain too). The strings feel more energetic with titanium parts. Perhaps a Titanium nut or sustain block upgrade could could be your way out if this?

I realize @Piing said that a brass sustain block did not help. I have used steel, brass, copper, tungsten, zinc alloy, and titanium sustain blocks. I have used brass, steel, stock, zinc alloy, and titanium nuts for my OFRs. Titanium is different. IME all metals beside Titanium are like a filter, they are highly biased to specific frequencies. They are eager to absorb vibrations, particularly those in specific resonance frequencies.

In my experience, Titanium is less eager to absorb sympathetic vibrations and does so with less frequency bias.
I was chatting with @hippietim last night and he was suggesting Titanium as well.

Good option to consider but I'm really hoping Suhr resolves it for me :)

Last edited:
John’s post is an edit/update of a post from 7 years ago. :) I read the original when I was researching my dead spot issue. I guess the only way to truly avoid the issue is to try before you buy or at least have the sales person test it.
Not exactly. Someone revived the thread. A number of us responded then deleted our posts. Johns post came in immediately after the cleanup.

I have a Suhr Modern Custom that has a similar issue on the G string. I loosened the neck, reseated it well, and retightened it. The problem didn’t go away but it’s ~50% better. Blocking the trem made it go away 100% but I can’t live without my Gotoh on that guitar.

On my way to UPS to send the guitar to Suhr to be fixed.

Also having the wiring changed a bit: both pots will be replaced with push-push pots that switch pickups individually from series to parallel, and the middle position with combine bridge and neck instead of being the middle single coil.

Hopefully it doesn't take a year to get back ;)

For anyone playing along at home... I followed up with the Suhr tech today just to see the status as they have had it in their shop about 5 weeks.

The tech said it's safe and sound but waiting for the COVID-19 lockdown to end so that John Suhr can actually come in and work on it.

Pretty cool that the man himself is involved at that level...

For anyone playing along at home... I followed up with the Suhr tech today just to see the status as they have had it in their shop about 5 weeks.

The tech said it's safe and sound but waiting for the COVID-19 lockdown to end so that John Suhr can actually come in and work on it.

Pretty cool that the man himself is involved at that level...
It is cool that John himself is working on it. I look forward to seeing what he can do although I may be past the warranty period.

It is cool that John himself is working on it. I look forward to seeing what he can do although I may be past the warranty period.
Well since I've been working a support case with them since a few weeks after purchase I don't think that's an issue.

Also, I've heard of many people getting amazing service years later so I'm not sure the warranty has a time limit.

Back
Top Bottom