New member and Axe Fx user.

bishop5150

Fractal Fanatic
Noob here. Just got my AxeII yesterday and ordered a Matrix 1000GT2u direct from Matrix which will hopefully be here in the next few weeks I'm hoping. Haven't had much time to play with it a whole bunch and so far only through some Senheiser 280 headphones I picked up yesterday but I'm so digging this unit so far. Been playing about 27 years. Was in an original and cover band for about 20 years. Got to open for some pretty cool national acts along the way but now I'm just in an Ozzy tribute and loving it. (Show me to the Randy, Jake and Zakk presets!) My main rig has been 2 5153 halfstacks in stereo with a TC Electronics G-System for the last few years. The Axe 5153 red patch sounds killer. Anyway looking forward to learning all I can about the unit. Oh, I'm a noob at homerecording. What's some free software you'd recommend to download to record with my AXE and laptop? HP Laptop running Windows Vista Home 64 bit. Just want to record some simple clips for like Soundcloud and stuff. Thanks for your input ahead of time.

Last edited:
I've just read about Reaper. I've heard about it, but never really looked into it. If project files are transferable between the Mac and Windows versions, I might just start using it instead of Sonar.

Reaper works great! You can use it for free or buy it for $60.00 to help support the developers. For basic good recordings nothing is better at that price.

Reaper is the clear winner in free/cheap serious software in the last several years. It's popular enough that Sound on Sound, one of the best gear/recording mags on earth has a monthly column on it along with the more established and costly Cubase, PT, Logic, etc.

Yes, Reaper is $60, but well worth it. I used $600 Cubase for years, and now I use $60 Reaper, and don't miss a thing. Awesome software, and awesome support.

The thing I like about Reaper is that the built-in plugins are great. It has just about everything you'd ever need except maybe amp simulation. The routing is great and it tends to be very snappy. Being able to run effects on another computer. What a great product. The Fractal Audio of recording software.

I've been messing about with Reaper. I'm going to use it exclusively for a while and see how I like it. So far, everything seems to work extremely well. I hate the way Sonar destroys clips when you place one on top of a another one. Reapers audio clip (media event) editing is much more to my liking. Even if the demo keeps working, I'll give them $60. It's a bargain.

image.jpgMatrix unit came in today and I finally got to hook up the whole rig. To say I am blown away at the sound of this unit is an understatement. Lots to learn. Got clean, rhythm and lead presets going. Sound just like my gigging amp ( 5150III) sounds incredible. Slowly learning my way around the menu screens. Waiting for Foot controller. For now have an old Ground Control midi controller. I'm diving in and the water is deep but it feels great!

Reaper All The Way, used just about all of them for PC and Reaper is just as good except for midi stuff, but they're improving that as well. And for the price it simply can't be beat, a steal!!!

Back
Top Bottom