Great playing and tune...sounds like you are really getting the far field IR captures down. I know you've been working on them for some time now and I like the results.

Hello,

I have just finished recording a song of mine. Of course, guitar and bass are all axe fx 2, each with far field IRs I made.

I hope you enjoy!

:)

You're getting closer to that natural, organic sound. How do you get by the 170ms wall of the AxeFx with those far field IRs? Are you recording with a convolution plugin?

You're getting closer to that natural, organic sound. How do you get by the 170ms wall of the AxeFx with those far field IRs? Are you recording with a convolution plugin?

The IRs are only 21ms long, the same as normal res. This is because all the room reflections have been deleted so the room does not affect the tone (recorded at a distance, but 100% dry). Unlike close miked IRs, which can benefit from some room tone (and sound good at 170ms or more), FF IRs sound worse if the room is present because it is too loud compared to the dry signal. Near fields attenuate room reflections to a more practical level.

Of course it would be theoretically possible to capture dry FF IRs at 170ms or more but they would be impractical to obtain, and probably wouldn't sound that different because if done correctly wouldn't contain room reflections either.

Last edited:
Wow! I'm impressed.
Not only by the tones, but the song itself. Had to listen for it twice.
You should really get someone to mix and master this song properly - with some minor fine tuning it's a very good one!

very Opeth/Guthrie Govan' ish! :)

Wow! I'm impressed.
Not only by the tones, but the song itself. Had to listen for it twice.
You should really get someone to mix and master this song properly - with some minor fine tuning it's a very good one!

very Opeth/Guthrie Govan' ish! :)

Thanks mate! It makes me greatly happy that you would listen to my nearly-8-minute song more than once :)

I'll be planning to get it mixed/mastered professionally and maybe record real brass and stuff, once I've got a few more tracks ready to do an EP.

Back
Top Bottom