New hypothetical

Sully0556

Inspired
Ok friends, I need some input. I recently purchased a new guitar for a backup unit on stage and it's a little brighter than my main guitar. I run a different preset for every song so it's not just an easy EQ tweak in the middle of the set and I'm not going to go in and mess with the global EQ on the unit between songs. I'm going to throw a MXR 8-band EQ onto my Temple board and run it between my wireless and my FM9 input, that way I can tweak the 4K a bit as needed and just activate the EQ when I grab the second guitar. Does this sound like an acceptable solution? I have no set songs for the second guitar so it may be played on any song.

Also... I'm getting a lot of noise across all presets and I've found that if I unplug my cable from input 1 and plug it back in the noise disappears but sometimes comes back after a while and I have to unplug it again. I've tried spraying gunk-out into the input and also on the cable and even used a bit of steel wool on the cable end to make sure it's clean. I run the wireless for gigs and band practices but run a standard guitar cable at home so I'm swapping that cable at least once a week. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

recently purchased a new guitar for a backup unit on stage and it's a little brighter than my main guitar. I run a different preset for every song so it's not just an easy EQ tweak in the middle of the set and I'm not going to go in and mess with the global EQ on the unit between songs. I'm going to throw a MXR 8-band EQ onto my Temple board and run it between my wireless and my FM9 input, that way I can tweak the 4K a bit as needed and just activate the EQ when I grab the second guitar. Does this sound like an acceptable solution? I have no set songs for the second guitar so it may be played on any song.
Since it’s a backup you could inexpensively put in lower resistance pots, or just roll down the tone knob a bit.

I'm getting a lot of noise across all presets and I've found that if I unplug my cable from input 1 and plug it back in the noise disappears but sometimes comes back after a while and I have to unplug it again. I've tried spraying gunk-out into the input and also on the cable and even used a bit of steel wool on the cable end to make sure it's clean. I run the wireless for gigs and band practices but run a standard guitar cable at home so I'm swapping that cable at least once a week. Any suggestions?
This one is more mysterious, no ideas on this one.

Ok, but we play 40+ songs per night and I also use the setlist feature so that's a no-go. Is there a reason the EQ on the input won't work?

Since it’s a backup you could inexpensively put in lower resistance pots, or just roll down the tone knob a bit.

This one is more mysterious, no ideas on this one.
That's the plan for this weekend, rolling the tone knob back but I'm curious about adding the EQ in the input chain.

If you've got space on the Temple board and the EQ fits the bill ... great roll with it!!

I've addressed similar needs between my strat and Mayones but did it all in the box with a PEQ ... You could use a GEQ or PEQ block and save adding an external piece of gear. Turn on Scene Ignore On for that block, add it to the effects layout, and turn it on when needed. The only rub would be you'd have to do this for each song which would be a faff. As I think through it ... an external EQ pedal would make for an easier pivot unless you wanted to minimise the extra gear.

no experience w the setlist feature but....

could you map a CS to toggle inputs/eq? input1 = gtr1. input2 = gtr2+eq ?

Ok friends, I need some input. I recently purchased a new guitar for a backup unit on stage and it's a little brighter than my main guitar. I run a different preset for every song so it's not just an easy EQ tweak in the middle of the set and I'm not going to go in and mess with the global EQ on the unit between songs. I'm going to throw a MXR 8-band EQ onto my Temple board and run it between my wireless and my FM9 input, that way I can tweak the 4K a bit as needed and just activate the EQ when I grab the second guitar. Does this sound like an acceptable solution? I have no set songs for the second guitar so it may be played on any song.

Also... I'm getting a lot of noise across all presets and I've found that if I unplug my cable from input 1 and plug it back in the noise disappears but sometimes comes back after a while and I have to unplug it again. I've tried spraying gunk-out into the input and also on the cable and even used a bit of steel wool on the cable end to make sure it's clean. I run the wireless for gigs and band practices but run a standard guitar cable at home so I'm swapping that cable at least once a week. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

As far as the noise goes, personally I would never spray anything into the input jack.
In worst case scenario, use a small can of compressed air, to gently remove dust, etc.

A clean cloth is all that should be needed on the 1/4" plug ends.
Abrasives and start to remove the finish on the metal.

Try a new cable, one of the most common overlooked problems.

I don't want different guitars to sound alike, what's the point. I simply use the tone control on my guitars.
This ^

If the goal is to have guitar sound the same make changes to the electronics so the backup sounds as close to the main.

I kinda do want them to sound alike, the backup is a little brite so all I'm asking is if it's ok to put an EQ in front of the input. I'll give it a try and see how it goes, just wondering if anyone else has done this. Tone control is another option but I'm just used to having it on 10 and habits die hard. Thanks for all the input..

Certainly nothing wrong with adding an EQ in front. It might not give the desired result though. Different presets may require a different EQ setting.

You can also use the Global Performance page ('Perform-Gbl' on the FM9) and add the EQ frequencies you need to adjust from either the Amp Output EQ or the Global Output EQ. From the Home screen, press 'PAGE>>' twice and tweak the frequencies as needed. I have it set up using the Output 1 EQ with 5 bands, 500 Hz through 8 kHz, to quickly adjust for any venue EQ 'issues'.

Sir Leon Todd has a fantastic video approximating the sound of single coils using a PEQ. I actually have it in a secondary layout because it’s so useful. You can assign a ‘leveling’ EQ curve to your presets for your backup to a button and just stomp when needed. Save 4 PEQ channels and I would swear that should cover all your presets. No one in the audience knows single coils, humbuckers, out of phase, etc. we hear it and it makes us nuts. We then are told the audience doesn’t hear it and that makes us nuts.

I kinda do want them to sound alike, the backup is a little brite so all I'm asking is if it's ok to put an EQ in front of the input. I'll give it a try and see how it goes, just wondering if anyone else has done this. Tone control is another option but I'm just used to having it on 10 and habits die hard. Thanks for all the input..
You can certainly do it if it works for you. If I was In your shoes, I'd measure the volume pot and try one with a lower value. That would darken the tone a bit.

Since it's seems to be eq, just add an eq to all your presets that corrects the problem... off for one guitar on for the other. You can choose to ignore scene changes with a block so it would be fairly simple. You may need to assign a foot switch for on/off of the eq so the negative is losing a footswitch dedicated for that function.

Back
Top Bottom