NEW GUITAR DAY...approaching

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
sahusevu.jpg

I just bought one of these new for $1100. It's on its way. I can't wait. Totally different from any else I've ever owned.

I've never been able to buy a guitar without playing it first.

Did you have the neck demensions and are you familier with the playability of your new Guitar?

I never take a guitar from a store that's been hanging on the wall. Just the OCD side of me. My last les Paul I ordered I sent back 3 times until I got one i thought was acceptable. Each one either had a flaw or mechanical issue. I have to say gibsons QC seems to have gone downhill a bit

Interesting. Thanks for the help.

I love the Firebird tone, but just don't get along with the look/feel of them. I think one of my next franken-axes will be a nice lite mahogany body with Firebird mini-hums on it.

Keep us posted on how you like it!

TT

Man I love this guitar. It's amazing.
The only issue is that the bridge mini hum seems a little micro phonic. Gets a bit of a squeal on higher gain settings. Is this normal for these pups.

. I have to say gibsons QC seems to have gone downhill a bit

So true, I ordered a new RD from them and returned it because it had a back bow, even with heavy strings and the truss fully relieved. Sent it back, they sent me another....same issue. Sent it back.
Two guitars, literally unplayable.

I was shocked. I had to wonder if anyone over there owned a straight edge....

One of the les pauls i returned had the bridge drilled wrong and the high E string was almost off the edge of the fretboard. I bet back in the day a gibson like that would never have seen the light of day

Ok. This is really strange.
So I ordered a second firebird so I could compare the pickups between the two. The first one had a bad squeal in the bridge position and sounded fine in the neck. Now I just got the second one today and its the exact opposite. The bridge position is killer with no noise. But the neck position is unplayable with higher gain settings. Squeals like crazy.

So either something is up with the pickups they're putting In these guitars OR this is just how they sound and someone from Gibson put the pickups in one of these guitars backwards and the bridge and neck are swapped.

Anyone have any thoughts? Lol

Pickups are probably not wax potted. If they aren't, some will squeal more easily than others.

I just decided to pull out one of the bad pickups and replace it with a good one from the other guitar.
Man it's damn hard to get a good one from Gibson nowadays

If you have a qualified luthier who can, (knows how to pot the PU's), it won't be an expensive job. It is not unusual for Gibson not to pot a lot of their PU's with all the gazillion reissues they had/have out. Their respective original never had wax potted PU's. However they shouldn't go all microphonic so easily. Definitely a QC issue.

But you are right. Gibson's QC has took somewhat of a real dump and for quite some time now. I remember when you had to really watch out on Fenders for poor QC. Now it's the same deal with Gibson when at one point you never really had to worry too much about them.

Now that I have the two working pickups in one of the firebirds, it now sounds killer. Kind of ridiculous that it takes doing this to get an acceptable guitar....but oh well. At least I got it working. Now I'm off to return the broke ass one. I can't wait for them to try and talk me out of returning it. Lol

Now that I have the two working pickups in one of the firebirds, it now sounds killer. Kind of ridiculous that it takes doing this to get an acceptable guitar....but oh well. At least I got it working. Now I'm off to return the broke ass one. I can't wait for them to try and talk me out of returning it. Lol

Clips or it didnt happen....

One of the les pauls i returned had the bridge drilled wrong and the high E string was almost off the edge of the fretboard. I bet back in the day a gibson like that would never have seen the light of day
Depends on your definition of "back in the day." Gibson has had issues with inconsistent quality for decades. Sometimes they're wonderful. Other times, they're horrendous.

I'd never bought a new guitar, until a coupla years ago when I saw a LP 59 reissue in Denmark Street. One minute playing told me it was a good 'un. And it gets better.

I always buy the best cases I can afford, so my guitars stay great. Are mail order packages as good - and apart from you only getting the guitar they decide to send you (do the best ones go to music shops?), could they get banged around in transit?

I wouldn't risk it, so wouldn't buy a guitar without trying it - and a whole load of others at the same time.

Depends on your definition of "back in the day." Gibson has had issues with inconsistent quality for decades. Sometimes they're wonderful. Other times, they're horrendous.

I'm not claiming I know what their QC was like back in the day. I was just assuming

Back
Top Bottom