New FM ???

A bit though, at least they indirectly told you that there is a product or there are products that haven't (not yet) been officially announced 🤣

After reading about the code of the new drives, that runs on AXIII, still can't run on FM3 because of lack of processing power, well, I'm really starting to be sure that a new floor unit is coming.

I knew that FM3 was not as powerfull as AXIII ou even AXII, but I was counting on FAS getting blood out of a stone... Again!

As Systems Analyst, I understand that CPUs have a limited amount of work they can do at each cycle, and FM3 does a lot with them.

I hope FAS figure out a way to optimize the code. 🙏

Anyways, let me start skipping meals to save some money for the next best Fractal floor unit. :)

Last edited:
Having purchased my FM3 two weeks ago it would be frustrating if a model with significant upgrades was released soon.

I think this goes for any FM3 owner, we're all in the same boat here. I got mine in July 2020 (Europe) and I think US early wait listers got theirs a month or two before. This is still classed as a new model so to see a hardware revision would be painful for existing users UNLESS a new more powerful FM3 Mk II came out with a path for existing users to self upgrade their own models with a simple board upgrade, similar to say a Sequential Circuits Prophet Synth can be updated to double the power with a board purchase. I doubt that would be an option though, very very very slim chance.

I will be honest, if an FM3 Mk II came out early to mid next year with no option for existing FM3 owners to upgrade, I would not be too disappointed as my FM3 is and will always be more than enough for my tonal needs, I will never fully utilise the power and sounds it already has. As we all know here, there are always people here that want more, even if more is not actually needed.

I think this goes for any FM3 owner, we're all in the same boat here. I got mine in July 2020 (Europe) and I think US early wait listers got theirs a month or two before. This is still classed as a new model so to see a hardware revision would be painful for existing users UNLESS a new more powerful FM3 Mk II came out with a path for existing users to self upgrade their own models with a simple board upgrade, similar to say a Sequential Circuits Prophet Synth can be updated to double the power with a board purchase. I doubt that would be an option though, very very very slim chance.

I will be honest, if an FM3 Mk II came out early to mid next year with no option for existing FM3 owners to upgrade, I would not be too disappointed as my FM3 is and will always be more than enough for my tonal needs, I will never fully utilise the power and sounds it already has. As we all know here, there are always people here that want more, even if more is not actually needed.

I'm happy with the FM3. At the price point I think it sonically blows the competition out of the water and I was pleasantly shocked at how well I could get along with only 3 footswitches. The only new product that would bug me would be a Mk II with more processing/features at the same price point. The FM3 was about my limit to spend so as much as I'd love a bigger, more powerful FMx I probably couldn't afford it until gigs return (whenever that is).

To be honest, I would normally care if something to replace it came out so soon after receiving mine, but this thing sounds so damn good at this price point that I'd be happy with the FM3 on FW3.0 without any further updates. Of course I would still like further development, but if for some strange reason this was it, I'd be happy.

I'd imagine if something significantly better came out, it would be out of my price range anyway. I think the FM3 fits perfectly for price/performance ratio.

To be honest, I would normally care if something to replace it came out so soon after receiving mine, but this thing sounds so damn good at this price point that I'd be happy with the FM3 on FW3.0 without any further updates. Of course I would still like further development, but if for some strange reason this was it, I'd be happy.

I'd imagine if something significantly better came out, it would be out of my price range anyway. I think the FM3 fits perfectly for price/performance ratio.
I think none of the FM3 customers expected to have a limited product so soon.
I have mine for only 3 months, some people just received their units.

Last edited:
Yeah, they REALLY need to implement the performance pages from the AxeFX III. If/when they do that you won't miss the direct amp controls. There's no excuse for not having those in the FM3.

There's no way they will introduce a trade-in/upgrade program.
Someone said performance pages are in the queue to add recently

Please @FractalAudio if you design a new FM/model, consider adding one mic input. It is usefule for singer, to modulate effect (vocoder?) or to capture IR without extenal mic preamp, or as multifx for any unplugged musical instrument. The ability to run parallel chain make the FM3 on stage an astonishing personal musical hub.
Stick one of those
https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/accessories/a85f
in your Input 2 and have at it. Been using it with a mic and sounds good enough for most small live gigs.
Signal chain Input - PEQ - Join the Reverb on the patch - OUT

Man... for those who have waited 10 months in Europe to get one and are just about to get it, it feels like it would be disappointing to now have a new, better product that could possibly replace it coming out.

Note that Cliff hasn’t denied that a new FAS FM product may be coming soon.

I mean, Fractal might be always working on "the next product." I'm not going to go digging for the exact post, but I think Cliff said he spent 4 years working on the Axe 3 before it came out?

Give me an FC-3, since that would be the perfect addition for me to offload some switches while maintaining a small footprint.
From the AX8, I also just used 7 switches at max ;)

And for a successor: I like the FM3, and for all those guys who want „more“ that would be nice.

I wonder how long exactly the new FM will take to arrive - guessing at least 6 months? I was going to order the current fm3, but I can get by with my current setup a bit longer - maybe us prospective fm3 buyers should wait for the new one? decisions, decisions...

I wonder how long exactly the new FM will take to arrive - guessing at least 6 months? I was going to order the current fm3, but I can get by with my current setup a bit longer - maybe us prospective fm3 buyers should wait for the new one? decisions, decisions...
If the unit fits what you are doing, then get it. A successor will come: next year, in 2 years, in 5 years... no one knows.
I switched from the AX8 because I liked the smaller footprint, so a successor is not directly of interest for me - because I have what I need.
So, you can always wait for a successor because you think you may need it, but the better decision is to use the option you have now and don‘t wait for future projections :)

No product has actually been announced...

Based on past experience I would estimate 12 months (at a minimum) from announcement before people would start receiving the product, but that's just a guess.

I would say to maybe wait as long as end of January for an announcement and make a decision at that time.

Back
Top Bottom