New Drivers Now Available

Search your system for any file that starts with "axefx2load".

Thanks. I'd found a Fractal Audio Folder in the Library that I couldn't open before because it was restricted. I just got it open and found the "axefx2load.hex" file.
It says date modified May 17, 2011. Is that the driver?

Thanks. I'd found a Fractal Audio Folder in the Library that I couldn't open before because it was restricted. I just got it open and found the "axefx2load.hex" file.

Yup. Everything in that folder constitutes "the driver". You'll need the admin password to delete it.

I'm using 10.6.8 OSX, can I just update to 10.09 firmware with the old driver or do you have to use the new one. Also will this effect future updating, If I stay with the old driver will I still be able to update the Axe II in the future with the old driver or is the new driver necessary for all future updates? Will I be better off just installing the new driver

I'm using 10.6.8 OSX, can I just update to 10.09 firmware with the old driver or do you have to use the new one. Also will this effect future updating, If I stay with the old driver will I still be able to update the Axe II in the future with the old driver or is the new driver necessary for all future updates? Will I be better off just installing the new driver

i'm on 10.6.8

updated the axe with the new firmware fine

using the old driver, i was able to use usb audio, but the buffer gradually filled up, no matter what the size was

i updated to the latest drivers and the mac couldn't see the axe, so i rolled back

i'm on 10.6.8

updated the axe with the new firmware fine

using the old driver, i was able to use usb audio, but the buffer gradually filled up, no matter what the size was

i updated to the latest drivers and the mac couldn't see the axe, so i rolled back

Aaah. This was my question too. I'm in the same 10.6.8 OSX boat.

are people on 10.6.8 solely for other gear that won't support later versions? just curious.

Yes, I have Pro Tools 9 and it does not support anything past 10.6.8 otherwise I wouldn't have a problem updating. I see Apple has a lot of changes coming in the fall new OSX Mavericks and other new stuff so I might get a new computer in the fall and keep the old one for Pro tools. Sooner or later I'm going to have to change or i'll get too far behind.

So still wondering can I stay with the old driver and continue to be able to update my Firmware on the AxeII and the MFC with the old driver or do I have to update to the new driver?

Last edited:

I'm feeling unusually computer-illiterate today.

I'm on a MBP, and seem to be having similar issue... in my Library folder, there's a Fractal Audio folder, in which there's an Axe-Edit.settings doc. I'm not seeing anything else, and Spotlight doesn't show anything, either.

BUT.... when I use "EasyFind", I'm seeing axefx2load, axefx2load.hex, and com.fractalaudio.axefx2load.plist.

So, the various components seem to be there... but I'm unsure how to access them. I'm the only admin on my laptop, I've been asked and entered my PW several times. I'm guessing there's some sort of " access privileges" that I haven't unlocked yet.

I'm assuming that's what trancegodz figured out how to accomplish, that I haven't been able to. Suggestions?

I've tried everything, but I just don't get it. I've installed the driver for my Macbook Pro multiple times, but none of these are showing up after the install:

/Library/Application Support/Fractal Audio/AxeFxII/axefx2load
/Library/Application Support/Fractal Audio/AxeFxII/axefx2load.hex
/Library/Application Support/Fractal Audio/AxeFxII/axefx2unload
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.fractalaudio.axefx2load.plist

I'm not sure what to do. It can't possibly be the USB cable, as I got a new one yesterday. This is really frustrating.

I've tried everything, but I just don't get it. I've installed the driver for my Macbook Pro multiple times, but none of these are showing up after the install:

/Library/Application Support/Fractal Audio/AxeFxII/axefx2load
/Library/Application Support/Fractal Audio/AxeFxII/axefx2load.hex
/Library/Application Support/Fractal Audio/AxeFxII/axefx2unload
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.fractalaudio.axefx2load.plist

I'm not sure what to do. It can't possibly be the USB cable, as I got a new one yesterday. This is really frustrating.

I just checked mine and they are all located right where you show they should be. Are you sure you aren't looking at the ~/Library (hidden library)? Just thinking out loud here. I am a complete Mac newbie and found myself doing just that a couple weeks ago.

I just checked mine and they are all located right where you show they should be. Are you sure you aren't looking at the ~/Library (hidden library)? Just thinking out loud here. I am a complete Mac newbie and found myself doing just that a couple weeks ago.

The one I'm accessing is under the Go menu in the Finder. You hold down the Option key and "Library" shows up on this list. I don't know, I'm not too good with this stuff. How would I make sure I'm accessing the right one?

EDIT: Okay, so yeah, it looks like I was accessing the ~/Library folder and not the other Library. The /LaunchDaemons folder is there, but no "com.fractalaudio.axefx2load.plist". The /Application Support folder isn't in the Library folder, but it is in ~/Library. I'm so lost.

Last edited:
The one I'm accessing is under the Go menu in the Finder. You hold down the Option key and "Library" shows up on this list. I don't know, I'm not too good with this stuff. How would I make sure I'm accessing the right one?

EDIT: Okay, so yeah, it looks like I was accessing the ~/Library folder and not the other Library. The /LaunchDaemons folder is there, but no "com.fractalaudio.axefx2load.plist". The /Application Support folder isn't in the Library folder, but it is in ~/Library. I'm so lost.

I did the same thing a few weeks ago as I am long time PC guy and fairly new to the Mac myself.

Click on finder icon on the dock and then your device in the left pane. You will see your hard drive with the Library folder etc. there.

QGvJK9Q.png

Last edited:
I did the same thing a few weeks ago as I am long time PC guy and fairly new to the Mac myself.

Click on finder icon on the dock and then your device in the left pane. You will see your hard drive with the Library folder within there.

Okay, totally weird, but all of them are there. Even weirder, my Axe-Fx II is now being recognized by my Mac. Didn't change anything. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Okay, totally weird, but all of them are there. Even weirder, my Axe-Fx II is now being recognized by my Mac. Didn't change anything. Thanks for your help!

The library folder and the ~/library folder are completely different.

Local Library

The local Library (located at /Library/) is shared by all users on the system and stores a variety of resources. These include preferences for System processes, desktop pictures, dictionaries, receipts (used for repairing permissions, system logs, caches and more. It can also store Dashboard widgets, screen savers and other resources shared by all users.

User Library

The user Library (located at ~/Library/) is the one which you are most likely to need to be familiar with. It is the most frequently updated, as it stores application preferences, application support files, caches and much more. If you encounter problems with applications, a common source is a corrupt file in your user's Library folder.

I just discovered this basic fact, Craig, moments before I saw your post. That certainly explains MY personal confusion about this issue. Thanks for that helpful explanation! Hopefully, that helps others, as well.

However, I'm presently trying to revert to the previous driver, since I'm still on OS10.6.8. When I run the installer of what I THOUGHT was the previous driver, the files I'm now finding that I've created show the "last modified" date as July 26, 2012. Is that correct? It doesn't seem to jive with what iaresee's reply earlier.

I've not yet used the new USB drivers for audio yet (Win7 64bit / still connected via S/PDIF to my primary audio interface) but the firmware update transfer via FractalBot was indeed much faster than with the previous drivers. Very nice! :)

The Trip Tik amp model is fantastic!

Thanks to all involved for yet another fantastic update! Always appreciated more than you know. :)

i'm on 10.6.8

Another bummed out 10.6.8 user here :cry

My maxim is 'don't upgrade unless you really need to' and as Apple's approach with recent updates seems to be restricted to making OSX more like iOS I'm holding off upgrading for as long as possible. I work on this machine too so have a bunch of fairly complex java/coding stuff installed and a ton of audio plug-ins that an os update can easily break.

Luckily I don't really need USB audio on the Axe (I route its digital out through my ULN-2) but I would like to be able to use it as a hybrid audio device thus getting an extra couple of analog inputs. Has anyone got this to work successfully with the new driver?

cheers

The new Windows driver is amazing.
It used to take me 20-25 min to update, now it takes 1-2 min.
Thank you so much FAS.

Back
Top Bottom