New BabyMetal video out

It would have to be japanese.......

I would imagine about everyone in that country is now born with coffee and smokes addictions......

I don't see the problem. I really don't see the "kids shaking their booty" thing. They're skilled, well-rehearsed and hard-working. They're not dressed or made up erotically, and they're doing dance moves that could pass all day on the Disney channel.

I totally dig the vibe. It's like they're grabbing metal by the chin whiskers and saying, "Go ahead...I dare you to try and depress me!"

EDIT: By the way, this music is every middle-school boy's dream: bad-ass metal on the outside, non-threatening on the inside.

Last edited:
Let's face it: Japan likes metal and tentacles inside the orifices of girls who look like that they should still be at school.

And sushi.

I have ZERO issues with this.

Then there is the ugly side of this concoction, these cute little girs taunting the crowd with this message? Na... theres nothing wrong here people, move along :?.

Then there is the ugly side of this concoction, these cute little girs taunting the crowd with this message? Na... theres nothing wrong here people, move along :?.
Okay, I've seen two examples of this genre so far. Gotta say I'm loving the irony and humor in this. Music that pretends to take itself seriously...and the audience gets it.

Here's the real irony: if they made the musicians five years older and male, and changed the message to "Yeah, life really does suck," no one would have a problem with it.

Okay, I've seen two examples of this genre so far. Gotta say I'm loving the irony and humor in this. Music that pretends to take itself seriously...and the audience gets it.

Here's the real irony: if they made the musicians five years older and male, and changed the message to "Yeah, life really does suck," no one would have a problem with it.

Ok, so you don't finde this vid a little disturbing?

You know, string, I've been to Japan twice. I guarantee that 90% of that crowd does not know English... at all. They don't know what the hell they are chanting and they love it that way.

Not at all. The words might be "Baby Metal Death," but the rest of the production is so totally not that. Unlike "real" death metal, which dwells on the dark side, this music turns it into a maypole and dances around it. It's kind of like Mexico's Dio de los Meurtos:—spooky skeletons on the surface, but at its core is a colorful celebration.

At least in america, yes. Boys. I've shook my head at them all my life.

Ain't nothin wrong the git here. It's actually rather boring, because it's techno, metal-style. Shit needs ta be mixed up, so's some real dancin could be done.

At the least, adapt the basic principle of harmony to it, and make the dance routine inversely proportional to the rhythm.

How is it disturbing?

All I see is a kick ass performance and a crowd of fans enjoying it.... Please explain?

Ok I will try my best to explain my issues that I'm having with this tune.

First off I'm not looking at it from a performance point of view, yes the performance and production was great. I'm looking at this from the dehumanizing aspect. I guess this is the fatherly instinct in me coming out and being the father of a teenage daughter this kind of hits close to home. So we are looking at female teenagers... pretty ones at that, that are subjecting them selves to a medium that has been predominately ruled by males in there twenties and later. I guess I can't help but see a possible future train wreck with theses girls after the Metal machine is done with them. So now the tune, when the the crowd gets all into it and wound up they start to chant DEATH! DEATH! DEATH! DEATH! "Death" is the meaning of this song because that's really what you are hearing, there is no question about it.

The first part of that lyric where they spell out "Baby Metal" is pretty much forgotten so the focus is a chant of Death which is the disturbing part of this whole deal. Sorry Rex but I whole heartedly disagree. This is about as dark as one can get with out pulling the trigger.

@ Claxor Most of them might not know what they are saying but I would bet money that eventually they will find out. Wether or not this disturbes them I guess is ultimately up to them.

The fact still remains that you have little teenage girls pushing it like it's some kind of new candy and from my point of view it is really twisted and warped. It's nothing like the first vid that has a happy chorus backed with heavy music singing about how they want more Chocolate, funny cute and weird all at the same time this tune is quite the opposite. So do you guys understand what I'm getting at? I'm not trying to play the moral police here, just simply stating how I perceive this tune which to me is quite disturbing that's all.

hmmm. Well all I hear is music and chanting to get people into it. I grew up to Metallica's Creeping Death for example and fully expecting to bang my head and chant "DIE! DIE! DIE!" during the 15 times I've seen them through out my life. For me it's just a song and 5 mintues of fun doing something with a stadium of people you will never do outside of that time and place again.

I think if you look any deeper than that into music, any music, you tend to find what you are looking for, not necessarily what they are trying to say.. but this is only my opinion.

To me anyways, it's original and interesting and IMO quite impressive. Also, it weeds out all the "I'm too cool," crowd leaving the rest of us that are not cool enough to just enjoy it for what it is. /wink

hmmm. Well all I hear is music and chanting to get people into it. I grew up to Metallica's Creeping Death for example and fully expecting to bang my head and chant "DIE! DIE! DIE!" during the 15 times I've seen them through out my life. For me it's just a song and 5 mintues of fun doing something with a stadium of people you will never do outside of that time and place again.

I think if you look any deeper than that into music, any music, you tend to find what you are looking for, not necessarily what they are trying to say.. but this is only my opinion.

To me anyways, it's original and interesting and IMO quite impressive. Also, it weeds out all the "I'm too cool," crowd leaving the rest of us that are not cool enough to just enjoy it for what it is. /wink

I understand what your saying but you really don't have to look deep at all with this tune it's right out in the open.

'string:

In Japan, they depict rape in comic books. Of little girls. In fact, the have a super-hero called "Rape-man". I couldn't even make this up if I tried... Yet, at the same time, they have very low violent crime rates towards each other.

The peoples of the East are very intense, and to your Western "gaijin" sensibility, they are barbaric. Japan still maintains an isolationist mentality towards the west. They love western things, but they don't understand you either. (and frankly, they don't want to understand you)

'string:

In Japan, they depict rape in comic books. Of little girls. In fact, the have a super-hero called "Rape-man". I couldn't even make this up if I tried... Yet, at the same time, they have very low violent crime rates towards each other.

The peoples of the East are very intense, and to your Western "gaijin" sensibility, they are barbaric. Japan still maintains an isolationist mentality towards the west. They love western things, but they don't understand you either. (and frankly, they don't want to understand you)

It's all good man! just voicing an concerned opinion ;)

So now the tune, when the the crowd gets all into it and wound up they start to chant DEATH! DEATH! DEATH! DEATH! "Death" is the meaning of this song because that's really what you are hearing, there is no question about it.

Yeah, okay, can't stand back and read this without biting.

It's a PUN and Japanese love puns, especially ones that confuse English with Japanese. A polite person will almost always find themselves saying DESU (the "u" generally being silent) at the end of most sentences, and it's particularly played upon in the characterizations of a perfect schoolgirl in their drama and cartoons. It's just the way they speak, it's part of the structure. Cute little girls chanting DEATH is all part of the mystery and the joke that "baka-gaijin" don't get.

Back
Top Bottom