nasty naisily Recording tone.

andyp13

Power User
Im loving my live sound with the AXE using my guitar cabs etc... its the best sound I have ever had.

Im doing some recording and just took my axe and no speakers intending to use the Cab sims in the AXE.
No matter which cab block I used (and the engineer and I must have auditioned nearly all of them) every single one sounded virtually the same - horrible nasty nasal tone some with a little more bass, some with a little more treble but ALL naisily and un-recordable, I was gutted when the engineer suggested we cancel the session untill I could bring in my speakers, we ended up using a £99 digitech guitar amp/cab sim which did not produce the naisal sound?

I have set up the Axe at my home studio to do some recording and to see if maybe it was the studio at fault, unfortunately I have exactly the same issue - with out a cab block it obviously sounds this and raspy, with the cab block engaged the body comes back alsong with the rassp disappearing - but its that horrible nasty mid range nasal tone - on every single cab block - is there any point of having so many when they all sound the same?

If that's what you're experiencing, then something is amiss. Are you truly hearing a difference between the cabs? Have you tried building a preset from scratch with just amp and cab (both with reset parameters, not from an amp and cab that were already loaded in the preset)?

Right. Something's definitely going on. Can you post a sound clip, preset? It may be tedious, but we may have to go into your global settings to figure it out. You should hear a huge difference between the various cabs. Saying it sounds nasal is a huge red flag that you're using a setting that doesn't fit your application, and saying the cabs all sound the same is another one.

facepalm.jpg

The Misfits had a thin, nasal, crap guitar tone that probably no self-respecting engineer would want to record and they turned out okay.....

is there any point of having so many when they all sound the same?

You must have a serious error in your settings. Like using the cab block in parallel or something that ridiculous for you to hear it all "sounding the same".
I suggest reading the manual from cover to cover and look for misunderstood terms or words which prevent you from understanding how this machine works.

No "flaming" intended here. But it is clear you do not understand how the Axe FX works or you would not get the "results" you are getting.

Im loving my live sound with the AXE using my guitar cabs etc... its the best sound I have ever had.

Im doing some recording and just took my axe and no speakers intending to use the Cab sims in the AXE.
No matter which cab block I used (and the engineer and I must have auditioned nearly all of them) every single one sounded virtually the same

**Spoiler Alert**

If you've been using a cab live you probably have cab sims off as well as possibly power amp sims off. Pulled from the manual Section 3.4.3

Global Settings: Power Amp Simulation ON or OFF (see below), Speaker Cabinet Simulation OFF
I/O Settings: Set OUT1 MODE (p.138) as required for stereo or mono.

Notes: Depending on the character of the amplifier being used, Power Amp Simulations may need to be ON or OFF for this type configuration.
Power Amp simulations should be turned ON when using a “neutral-sounding” (Solid State) power amp that does NOT significantly affect the tone or feel.
Power Amp simulations should be turned OFF when using the RETURN on a tube head or combo, or a guitar-oriented tube power amp—one that significantly affects to the tone and feel.

In either case, it is completely safe and reasonable to try both setting ways to see which you prefer.

Whenever you use the Axe-Fx II with traditional guitar speaker cabinets (whether open back or closed, small or large, alone or in pairs) it is best to turn Speaker simulations OFF in the CONFIG page of the GLOBAL menu (p. 136). Guitar speakers differ from full-range speakers in that they are voiced to focus on traditional electric guitar sounds: mids tend to be prominent, highs rolled off, etc.

In any case, the settings required for this setup are not ideally suited for monitoring through the Axe-Fx II headphone jack, as what you hear through headphones will not sound like what you will hear through the speakers. Switching Power Amp and Speaker sims on and off, however, is a simple matter and can be done on an as-needed basis.

I leave my Cab sim set to ON in the Axe as the settings I use live do not have a cab block in them (as I'm using real cabs.
I am also using the latest firmware. The Amp I use live is the Shiver block set very clean and the 'grit' comes from a drive block placed in front.
To record I placed a cab block into this preset but as I said it just sounds awful and very title change between the cab blocks.

I used to hate my decision about change from Ultra to II... nowadays its probably the best decision I have made alongside with selling my beloved Mesa Mark IV and believe it or not every single FW can amaze you or disgust you but since FW 10 there is not a lot of room for disappointment.
What's happening with you is that you probably don't fully understand how to work round this issue which for most is easy to resolve hence if I were you I would share "nasal preset" and take it from there yet the problem might be with your global settings that you've forgotten about... trust me... something in your chain is doing that.

Back
Top Bottom