My Wah Sucks

jshirkey

Experienced
It actually doesn't completely suck, but I could use some help. ;)

The short version is that the wah sound I'm currently using (and I don't use wahs much, so that's part of the problem here...my lack of experience and know how) gets pretty shrill when my pedal is in the full toe-down position. The high end is just a bit too ice-picky. The wah also doesn't quite have that chewy, vocalic sound through a wide enough frequency range. (I'm using the Cry Babe wah in this preset.)

I've read the wah entry in the Wiki, but there are a lot of parameters that aren't discussed there. Basically, I'm in over my head, and I'm just twisting virtual knobs (in FX8 edit) without really knowing what I'm doing. I'm just listening for the end result. I may have made things worse in the process, and now I'm not quite sure what the default settings were.

What I could use: Some guidance about which main parameters to tweak first before even thinking about the minutiae that a real expert might get carried away with.

I'm going to RTFM also...

Thanks.

Last edited:
Basically, I'm in over my head, and I'm just twisting virtual knobs (in FX8 edit) without really knowing what I'm doing. I'm just listening for the end result. I may have made things worse in the process, and now I'm not quite sure what the default settings were.
Back to square one. Delete the Wah block from your preset. Then insert a new one. Scroll through all the different types until you find the one that sounds closest to what you're looking for.

Back to square one. Delete the Wah block from your preset. Then insert a new one. Scroll through all the different types until you find the one that sounds closest to what you're looking for.

Good call. The tone I'm chasing was a Cry Baby, but you never know if it's been modded out the...um...wah-zoo. So, yeah...I'll try different models.

Check out the thread I suggested and Google for lots more on great usable wawa settings.

Consider post # 16

Look at the Wikki also for the wha and find the link for "The mother of all effects thread." also to download blocks and put in a folder to try.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom