Ah right on. I am having some adventures in rig building now myself. I'm not a gigging musician; just a bedroom player. But rig building is like crack! My latest couple of projects are working on a pedalboard, and working on single/dual amp rig options.

The two amps used will be the TC-50 head with a Mesa Vertical 2X12, and that Peavey Invective head with a custom vertical 2x12 (the Invective stuff isn't here yet). In order to run these amps with the FX8-based board (including some external pedals) I spent some time drawing wiring diagrams for different options.

1) Single amp (either one) with FX8 in 4CM (this would be a simple-ish grab and go rig if I ever play out)
2) Both amps in stereo, using only 1 preamp and slaving the other amp's power section; stereo effects hitting both amps (decent option, but I think I'd prefer option 3 so I get the benefit of both preamp flavors)
3) Both amps in stereo, using both preamps, stereo wet effects hitting both amps
4) Both amps in stereo, using both preamps, stereo wet effects hitting only one amp (W/D rig)
5) Running a full W/D/W rig

Right now, I'm leaning towards options 3 and 4 because I think I can wire it up for option 3, then use the internal I/O management to basically mute the wet effects on one side. So I could possibly have scenes where I am in true stereo and scences where I use W/D. Sounds like a pretty cool idea but I'm not sure how I'd pull it off yet. Likely using some post-mixer balance parameter or using a Vol/Pan (though I'd like to avoid that so as not to waste a block on it.

Anyway, forgive my rambling on your thread, but you seem to like to discuss the FX8 and all its awesomeness and not many others seem too active in this forum. LOL
Sounds like a very cool setup. Love my TC-50 with the FX8, and I was watching those Invective videos when they first announced it, and was very interested in that one. Would love to hear your impressions of it once you get the rig set up.

And, yeah, I wish this part of the forum had a little more activity, but I think some of it might be because those of us with the FX8 spend more time playing than tweaking. (Flame suit on!) It's a little harder for us to go on about sharing presets with others since many of us use different core amps as part of the patch, so there isn't as much of that. Although there is some sharing of good tips for specific blocks, etc.

I came from an Axe-FX Ultra to the Axe-FX II, and eventually went back to an amp with FX8. Not as much because the Axe-FX II was lacking in anything, but I find the limitation of only having one core amp kind of liberating. When I had a choice of dozens up on dozens of amps I almost felt the need to explore them all, and that became counter-productive I guess. Probably just me though. One of my best friends had an Axe-FX II for a while and he immediately fell in love with the HBE and used it to record a few songs. (Eventually went to an amp for his live setup but says he may pick up another when he gets ready to record next year.)

Yes, a lot of cool options & it's fun to experiment.

My rig is built for live cover band use & weekend warrior type stuff. The FX8 is the heart of my system & I'm still VERY happy w/ it. It fixes SO many problems that a traditional pedal board has & the FX quality is 2nd to none.

I saw your original thread on your new board & thought it looked cool & just forgot to comment.

Yes, this section of the board is much slower then some of the others.

I've done a full stereo rig live before & while fun at 1st, it's only really heard by you on stage. Most PA systems are mono & while you can pan hard left & right, it's not really needed.

I wish you luck w/ your new rig & adventure too!

X

Thanks X. Yeah I wouldn't bother with stereo if it wasn't for home use. And of course, going mono will be as easy as only connecting up a single amp. Either way, should be a fun adventure. :)

Sounds like a very cool setup. Love my TC-50 with the FX8, and I was watching those Invective videos when they first announced it, and was very interested in that one. Would love to hear your impressions of it once you get the rig set up.

And, yeah, I wish this part of the forum had a little more activity, but I think some of it might be because those of us with the FX8 spend more time playing than tweaking. (Flame suit on!) It's a little harder for us to go on about sharing presets with others since many of us use different core amps as part of the patch, so there isn't as much of that. Although there is some sharing of good tips for specific blocks, etc.

I came from an Axe-FX Ultra to the Axe-FX II, and eventually went back to an amp with FX8. Not as much because the Axe-FX II was lacking in anything, but I find the limitation of only having one core amp kind of liberating. When I had a choice of dozens up on dozens of amps I almost felt the need to explore them all, and that became counter-productive I guess. Probably just me though. One of my best friends had an Axe-FX II for a while and he immediately fell in love with the HBE and used it to record a few songs. (Eventually went to an amp for his live setup but says he may pick up another when he gets ready to record next year.)

I think you're right about why there's less activity on the FX8 board. Using all the different amps we do, blocks may not transport as well as on the Axe FX and AX8.

I also agree about using a single amp (or two ;) ) being liberating. Although there's a certain kind of freedom that comes with having hundreds of things to choose from, there's another kind of freedom that comes from picking one amp you realllly dig. So it's definitely not you. I also sold my Axe FX. Never thought it would happen, and my intention was to get an AX8, but right now with the FX8 and the TC-50 I just don't feel like it. lol.

I'll definitely let you know how the Invective is. I'm quite excited about that and about the possibility of running the TC-50 and Invective together. I kind of ran the TC-50 and Mark 5:25 together but with the TC being 3 channels, and the 5:25 not having MIDI, it was just a little "off" for what I wanted to do. With the TC and Invective, both are three channels, and both are fully MIDI capable. And yesterday, it occurred to me that I will have presets built for stereo, then for the W/D setup, I'll switch to an almost identical patch that's set up with all the post effects in mono, then simply use a MIDI command to turn off one amp's FX loop. Super easy.

This is a great thread for me. I just picked up a TC-50 combo to use with my FX8.
I've been down the road before with Axe Ultra, AxeFx II, AX8, buying 3rd party IR's, and many different FRFR
systems from Atomic to Matrix. For me.....I was missing simplicity.. The amp/FX8 is indeed liberating.

Today I am planning on diving into the TC manual to figure out the midi switching. I am still in speaker break-in mode but so far the amp has tone for days.

@X-Mann
I appreciate all your passion and enthusiasm in many threads here and TGP.....great posts and videos......keep it up \m/

This is a great thread for me. I just picked up a TC-50 combo to use with my FX8.
I've been down the road before with Axe Ultra, AxeFx II, AX8, buying 3rd party IR's, and many different FRFR
systems from Atomic to Matrix. For me.....I was missing simplicity.. The amp/FX8 is indeed liberating.

Today I am planning on diving into the TC manual to figure out the midi switching. I am still in speaker break-in mode but so far the amp has tone for days.

@X-Mann
I appreciate all your passion and enthusiasm in many threads here and TGP.....great posts and videos......keep it up \m/

MIDI is easy with the TC-50. You can send it the MIDI command that corresponds to the settings you want (per the manual) or you can send it a random MIDI command, put the amp in the correct configuration, then hit the store switch so it learns. Such a great amp.

And if you haven't tried it with 6V6s, check them out. :)

MIDI is easy with the TC-50. You can send it the MIDI command that corresponds to the settings you want (per the manual) or you can send it a random MIDI command, put the amp in the correct configuration, then hit the store switch so it learns. Such a great amp.

And if you haven't tried it with 6V6s, check them out. :)

Yep, got the midi thing working in about 5 minutes!! Easy as pie.

Tell me what you like about the 6V6's? Did you find a big loss in volume? What brand did you try?

@X-Mann
Hey Finnster.....

While not needed in any way, I really appreciate you chiming in here man. It's hard to know if it's worth the time to post all of this gear stuff at times, but I do it all for the fun & it can be very fun.

You said something funny that made me think & laugh here. Some would see my FX8 & Mesa TC50 (Midi) set-up as a complicated one, but after going Axe FX II XL+ or AX8 it really is a lot more simple & straight forward.

You have the ability to do anything you want & need between these 2-pieces of gear. Every tone & effect is in there for the most part.

I like to try out a lot of gear, but I can still honestly say that the FX8 is the one item that will never leave my board (it is my board).

I know that we've just started working together off-line & my FX8 presets will be a great starting point for your presets. It will always take time put in to make it really work for you & even though we share the same gear, you have some work to do.

I'll help you out where I can, but this board is a crucial place for getting information on the great FX8. It's how I was able to get where I am today.

For the record. My FX8 presets all changed w/ each amp I've used along the way. The drive pedals inside the FX8 react differently depending on what amp is used. FYI only

Good luck on your tone quest & peace! X-Mann

Last edited:
Yep, got the midi thing working in about 5 minutes!! Easy as pie.

Tell me what you like about the 6V6's? Did you find a big loss in volume? What brand did you try?

About a month after I bought the TC, I went back to my local Mesa dealer and got a pair of Mesa 6L6s and a pair of Mesa 6V6s. I think the total bill was only around $60-70 so if anyone is curious I think it's worth doing just to see how you like them.

I'm not sure I can articulate why I like the 6V6s better. I just like the way the amp sounds with them even more than I do the EL34s or 6L6s...and the TC sounds awesome with those too (and maybe when I switch back, I'll think the EL-34s are my favorite lol).

I play at home so I don't often play extremely loud, but I just measured using the Audio Control Mobile Tools app and it seems like max volume with the 6V6s is about 104db. That's on the crunch channel with gain almost dimed, master and output both dimed. On the clean channel it was about 100db with gain at about 11:00. That was a nice pushed clean but certainly not truly "clean" since the power tubes are getting very crunchy at that point. That's through a 2x12 with a V30 and a Creamback, using a Fishman Fluence Classic Humbuckers. I need to measure with the other tubes.

Wanna give props to X-Mann.

For those who don't follow him on other forums etc....he is super passionate about this stuff and nails great tones.

Thanks for the AWESOME help....I will report back soon on my findings. We had some family stuff going on that had to take priority(obviously)over my tone testing.

Life is just busy and sometimes gets in the way of my hobby.

The FX8 is such a great tool and works very well with the TC50.

Wanna give props to X-Mann.

For those who don't follow him on other forums etc....he is super passionate about this stuff and nails great tones.

Thanks for the AWESOME help....I will report back soon on my findings. We had some family stuff going on that had to take priority(obviously)over my tone testing.

Life is just busy and sometimes gets in the way of my hobby.

The FX8 is such a great tool and works very well with the TC50.
Sorry to hear that you had some family stuff to take care of & I hope all is well now.

Take your time going thru my presets & if you find an FX block that you end up tweaking & liking better, you can always copy & paste over the one I use.

I don't believe that the FX8 presets are universal to all users & set-ups for the most part. Look at them as great starting points 1st & foremost. My pickups are lower output & PAF style wise & that's a factor when setting levels & gain structures.

The upside is you have the same amp (Mesa-TC50) & examples of how a lot of these presets sound for me.

Let me know if you need anything else & good luck.

Peace! X

PS - It took me months & months & a lot of tweaking to get all of these presets balanced out & working for me.

Last edited:
Yo @X-Mann How are things going? Anything new and exciting? I might have some news about the Invective early this coming week. The FX8 board is done; I just need to test it now. Should be fun!

Yo @X-Mann How are things going? Anything new and exciting? I might have some news about the Invective early this coming week. The FX8 board is done; I just need to test it now. Should be fun!
Hey Mr Pool!

Yea, I've always got something new & or eXciting going on my man.

I've created another handful of new FX8 presets for my Mesa TC-50 amp for our Halloween show on the 28th. We learned "Evenflow", "Song #3" & "Little Monster" for it......& I created a great "Cocked Wah" that's fixed/set for the solo section that sounds just like the CD version of "Little Monster" by Royal Blood.......Plus I'm actually playing the main rhythm parts all on a single string at a time & using an octave pitch block. #wickedawesome

I'll try to capture some video/audio & share some of these presets very soon. I'm thinking about doing an "X's Rig Rundown" either on Facebook live.....or maybe just another "X in the Studio" video for my Youtube page.

I've got a NEW Kiesel guitar build about a week out from being done.........& went in a different direction from my other builds w/ the HH headstock. More to come on that one..............:eek:

I'm eXcited to see your "Monster Board" & hear about what you did to create it.

Sorry I've been M.I.A. & thought that nobody would miss me....but.......you care, you really do care (insert tear). :p

More to follow.......& Peace! X-Mann

Last edited:
Hey @X-Mann, he wasn't the only one that noticed you haven't been around. It seems like we have a special club of TC50 and FX8 users that meets online at various locations and chats about what's new.

I've been doing some adjustments to my rig too, and getting things more gig-worthy. Added a Source Audio Kingmaker, partly because the fuzzes and OD's are just so nice on that thing, but partly to just get a few more things into a preset with lower CPU on the FX8. Also added a wireless because, well, just because.

And the real fun, one of the guys I'm putting a band together just picked ordered a TC50, and I know he's drooling over the FX8 too. He isn't as geeky as me, so I'm sure I'll have to help him get his first few presets going, but I'm hoping he adds in the FX8 in the not-too-distant future.

Hey Mr Pool!

Yea, I've always got something new & or eXciting going on my man.

I've created another handful of new FX8 presets for my Mesa TC-50 amp for our Halloween show on the 28th. We learned "Evenflow", "Song #3" & "Little Monster" for it......& I created a great "Cocked Wah" that's fixed/set for the solo section that sounds just like the CD version of "Little Monster" by Royal Blood.......Plus I'm actually playing the main rhythm parts all on a single string at a time & using an octave pitch block. #wickedawesome

I'll try to capture some video/audio & share some of these presets very soon. I'm thinking about doing an "X's Rig Rundown" either on Facebook live.....or maybe just another "X in the Studio" video for my Youtube page.

I've got a NEW Kiesel guitar build about a week out from being done.........& went in a different direction from my other builds w/ the HH headstock. More to come on that one..............:eek:

I'm eXcited to see your "Monster Board" & hear about what you did to create it.

Sorry I've been M.I.A. & thought that nobody would miss me....but.......you care, you really do care (insert tear). :p

More to follow.......& Peace! X-Mann

Good to hear! I’m looking forward to hearing more. The Little Monster preset sounds interesting. I love rig rundown videos...do it. :)

I’ll be posting a thread with the FX8 board in the next couple of days. Actually I think I started one a while back...? I’ll have to search lol.

Hey @X-Mann, he wasn't the only one that noticed you haven't been around. It seems like we have a special club of TC50 and FX8 users that meets online at various locations and chats about what's new.

I've been doing some adjustments to my rig too, and getting things more gig-worthy. Added a Source Audio Kingmaker, partly because the fuzzes and OD's are just so nice on that thing, but partly to just get a few more things into a preset with lower CPU on the FX8. Also added a wireless because, well, just because.

And the real fun, one of the guys I'm putting a band together just picked ordered a TC50, and I know he's drooling over the FX8 too. He isn't as geeky as me, so I'm sure I'll have to help him get his first few presets going, but I'm hoping he adds in the FX8 in the not-too-distant future.
Yes Genghis.....We are Team FX8_TC-50 for sure!

It’s very cool that you got a Fuzz pedal that does what you need SO well. I find the FX8 to be a “Game Changing” device & just a very unique piece of gear. That will never change either!

Tell your new band mate to get the FX8 & never look back!

X

Good to hear! I’m looking forward to hearing more. The Little Monster preset sounds interesting. I love rig rundown videos...do it. :)

I’ll be posting a thread with the FX8 board in the next couple of days. Actually I think I started one a while back...? I’ll have to search lol.
I like doing new songs w/ the band that force new FX8 presets & sounds.

I’m planning on doing a bunch of different videos & projects once I get a little more time. I have a lot more to share, but really like to do it w/ more pics, videos & clips.

I also want to do an “X’s FX8 Presets” dump of the 50+ I’ve created that are all song based. These are all set-up for the Mesa TC-50, but I also have a bunch made for the Friedman Runt 50 & the Carvin Legacy-3.

I’ve shared a small amount on the official site, but don’t have the time to do each one individually at this time. I also don’t know if they are all really worth it either. I don’t find it hard to use the FX8 at all & I get what I need without much fuss. I’m far from an expert & just know what works for me.

I promise to release ALL of my FX8 presets in a Dropbox link this Monday too. I’ll do a fresh back-up & new post to point a few things out. I should just add a few individual presets to the official site each day....but I’ve been saying that to myself for weeks now! :p

I am getting (& have been) the best tones of my life w/ my current gear set-up & couldn’t be happier!

If anyone ever needs any help, just PM me & if I can help, I will!

X

Last edited:
Fellow X-Fans, FX8 Fans, Guitar Lovers & Gear Whores.....:eek:.....I appreciate everyone here & all the help, love & conversations over the years.

Here are ALL of my FX8 presets for my Modern Rock cover band gig.

Please look at these presets as building blocks & or a starting point. I hope they help you in some way/shape or form.

**ALL FX8 presets are set-up for a Mesa TC-50 amp, Carvin Guitars w/ PAF (C22 & S22) pickups.....& V30 Guitar speakers.

Here’s the list of song based presets & I use a left to right “Scene” based system.

Any song labeled “@“ 1st means the song is in Drop-D tuning.

Photo%20Oct%2024%2C%206%2000%2000%20PM.jpg

Here are my amp settings that work w/ these presets.
Photo%20Oct%2024%2C%206%2001%2029%20PM.jpg

To understand the amp channel used for each Preset “Scene”.....Go to the “Config” tab & then select “Midi PC”.......Here you will see my amp channels per each scene.
1 = Clean Amp Channel
2 = Mid Gain Amp Channel
3 = High Gain (Red) Channel

Examples:
Photo%20Oct%2024%2C%206%2004%2031%20PM.jpg

Most scenes use the Red High Gain Channel though. :D
Photo%20Oct%2024%2C%206%2005%2033%20PM.jpg

There are also some older presets from my previous band as well.......
Photo%20Oct%2024%2C%206%2000%2004%20PM.jpg

X’s FX8 Free Classic/Modern Rock Preset Pack Link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pwcwq1i03bv9wqf/AABcXkGNGiv702u-Gh49btvLa?dl=0

Please let me know if you can’t download from this link as I’ve never done it this way before.

If these do work in some way for you, I’d love to hear about it. If they don’t work.....then....um......Yea...Sorry!

Check out: Little Monster (Scene #2) for a great cocked wah lead tone or Cherub Rock (Scene #3) for a great Ring Mod lead w/ Digital Delay....

X

Note: The presets from my YouTube Videos have been updated & are included here as well. I’m still using the same system of preset name w/ the BPM in the heading & the tempo pre-set to this inside each one. This can be overwritten by just tapping in a new tempo on the fly.

********If this works well, I’ll start a new thread here & on TGP........but let’s test this w/ guys that read this thread 1st. ;) *********

Last edited:
I was able to get the file no problem! Dude thanks SO much for those. I haven't auditioned them yet, but I definitely will. As you know I have a TC-50 too so this should work out well. My new Peavey Invective amp just got in today so now I'm going to get it setup with the TC-50 and FX8 board. I'll have to post a thread later on. :)

I was able to get the file no problem! Dude thanks SO much for those. I haven't auditioned them yet, but I definitely will. As you know I have a TC-50 too so this should work out well. My new Peavey Invective amp just got in today so now I'm going to get it setup with the TC-50 and FX8 board. I'll have to post a thread later on. :)
Very cool! Been wondering when those invectives would be starting to hit the streets. A buddy had one on order but cancelled when he got notice that it would take longer than orinally planned. He ordered one of the new EVH EL34 50W heads today and should have it Thursday. Looking forward to hearing it when i go up to jam this weekend. I had the 6L6 version prior to the TC50, and liked it, but not quite as much as the TC.

Thanks X-Mann for posting your presets too. Hoping to download and try some od them out. Weekends are my only time I have for real playing lately and this weekend is rehearsal with the band, and it's a much longer commute than most wouls endure. About a 4 hour drive Saturday, play Sunday and come home Monday morning. Crazy, but its with some great old friends and it's a lot of fun.

I was able to get to your DB, there are 2 sys files. I downed them both. Will provide feedback (pun) when I have a chance to try them out. Thanks for making these available X-Mann!

Back
Top Bottom