Mama's back ... again (AE 3.x): The Mother Of All Pedal and Effect Emulations thread

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
Once upon a time, dear people, there was the The Mother-of-all-pedal-and-effects-emulations thread. An initiative to share real-world pedal and effects emulations on the Axe-Fx Standard and Ultra.

Then there was the follow-up for Axe-Fx II: Mama's back.

The current version of Axe-Edit 3.x doesn't allow importing blocks from those threads.
Also, you can't import individual effect blocks into Axe-Change yet.

So in the meantime, here it is: Mama's back ... again: The Mother Of All Pedal and Effect Emulations thread.

The old rules still apply:

1. For Axe-Fx II only. Requires Axe-Edit 3.02 or later.
  2. List the parameter values in your post, or attach a .BLK file.
    BLK files saved individual effect blocks, from AE's Block Library. To save or load: in Axe-Edit 3.02 and later right-click on a block, select Library > Save or Recall.
    To be able to recall a saved block, BLK files must reside in \Documents\FractalAudio\AxeEdit\Blocks\(subfolder). Note: AE automatically moves BLK files in (...)\Blocks to the correct subfolder.
  3. Keep it simple: preferable single effect blocks. If necessary accompanied by a Controllers block if the effect depends on specific controller settings (i.a. Envelope).
  4. Try not to go wild. Keep it to proven emulations, not the "I-think-I-have-captured-Eric-Johnson's-tone-using-the-Metal-Zone" result from late last night.
  5. Keep it to emulated pedals, stuff like studio reverbs etc.
  6. Use a separate post for each effect.
  7. Describe:
    • if it's mono or stereo
    • if it should before of after Amp/Cab
    • if it's in series or parallel
    • if it uses a modifier
    • the firmware version.
  8. Name the source if you copied the effect from someone.
P.S. Don't forget Javajunkie's excellent effect emulations:
Fractal Audio Systems Forum - Recent Blogs Posts - Blogs

Last edited:
VOL block with Envelope controller: automatic volume swells.

Place this block at the start of the grid. Also load the accompanying Controller block for the correct envelope settings.
Engage the block. Now you've got an auto-swell effect, like the Boss Slow Gear pedal.
Note that you have to mute the strings before hitting them, to make it work.

Combine with loads of reverb and delay...

Firmware v12.

Attachments

• Controllers Vol Swells_20140103_100224.blk
    392 bytes · Views: 428
  • Vol Swells Pre Ctrl_20140103_100204.blk
    192 bytes · Views: 303
Last edited:
Fulltone OCD drive block. Settings were ported from the block in the previous Mama threads.
(Originally this block came from Voes, who made a series of youtube vids with
many different drive pedal emulations.)
Placement is series before amp offcourse.

Edit: FW 12.03(beta 4)

Last edited:
Simple, effective tremolo.

Place this block AFTER the Amp block. Mono.

The Rate parameter is attached to External 2. If you assign a switch or pedal to External 2, you can change the tremolo speed between two fixed rates.

Firmware v12.

Attachments

• Trem Post Ctl_20140103_100548.blk
    207 bytes · Views: 342
Last edited:
My Rotary (Leslie) effect.

Place this block AFTER the Amp block. Stereo.

The Rate parameter is attached to External 2. If you assign a switch or pedal to External 2, you can change the speed between two fixed rates.

Firmware v12.

Attachments

• Rot Leslie Post Ctl_20140103_100536.blk
    219 bytes · Views: 433
Last edited:
This is the Spring Reverb I use with my clean tones.

Advantage of the Spring type is that it uses the least amount of CPU of all reverb types.

Place it AFTER the Amp block, in a PARALLEL row. "X" only (no Y).

For more or less reverb, use the Input Gain parameter.

Firmware v12.

Attachments

• Reverb Spring Post Paral_20140103_101959.blk
    322 bytes · Views: 428
Last edited:
Pitch block, for EVH-style detuning.

Detuning amount is +9/-9. Stereo (works great through headphones too). Great alternative to chorus.

Place it AFTER the Amp block, in a PARALLEL row. "X" only (no Y).

Firmware v12.

Attachments

• Pit Detuning Post Paral_20140103_100522.blk
    631 bytes · Views: 398
Last edited:
MXR Phase 90. The Script type, enhanced.

Place it BEFORE the Amp block. Mono.

The Rate parameter is attached to External 2. If you assign a switch or pedal to External 2, you can change the speed between two fixed rates.

Firmware v12.

Attachments

• Pha Script90 Pre Ctl_20140103_100324.blk
    298 bytes · Views: 514
Last edited:
PEQ.

I use this PEQ when rehearsing or gigging through FR amplification. It's in all my "amp" presets.

It adds a low midboost (Tyler Grund's tip) for punch. It also applies a low-cut and high-cut to overcome the Fletcher-Munson curve.

Place at the end of the grid.

Note: its Bypass parameter is attached to External 3. Use I/O > MIDI / External 3 Init Value to engage or bypass the block (in all presets containing this block at once!).

Firmware v12.

Attachments

• PEQ Midboost Blocking Post_20140103_102125.blk
    244 bytes · Views: 494
Last edited:
Before anybody else goes crazy as well ;) If you cant see the downloaded .BLK files in your library, try restart AXE-FX and AXE EDIT and check again.
Note that these files get placed in your document folder (win7) by default. Go into Axe edit's settings to change this if you wish them to be saved in a different location.

"Jet" flanger. Kinda like EVH's.

Place it BEFORE the Amp block. Mono.

Firmware v12.

Attachments

• Fla Jet Pre_20140103_100340.blk
    227 bytes · Views: 428
Last edited:
Small Stone Phaser emulation.
Connect in series before the amp block.
Sorry to say I have no idea where this one came from originally.

GEQ: volume boost.

Boosts the signal level with 3.8 dB, for leads and stuff.
I use a GEQ instead of VOL or FILTER, because it lets me apply some high-pass and low-pass too, to prevent loud piercing top end and overpowering bottom end at loud volume.

Place it at the end of the grid.

Firmware v12.

Attachments

• GEQ Boost Post_20140103_102052.blk
    149 bytes · Views: 364
Last edited:
Two delay blocks.

To be placed AFTER the Amp block, each in a parallel row.

- Delay1 Y is a short delay (on my Axe-Fx I've set Y as default). Switch to X for louder and longer trails.
- Delay2 X creates an even longer and louder delay, nice for spillover. Switch to Y for a slapback delay.

For more or less delay, use the Input Gain parameter.

Hi-Cut and Low-Cut are being used for a vintage vibe.

Important: Phase Reverse is set to R(ight) in both delays (except slapback). This makes the delay very ambient.
But if you "sum" the left and right signal sides afer the Delay block, the delay will disappear. So don't put a mono Cab block after the Delay, or set Output Mode to Sum L+R. Altern. set Phase Reverse to None.

Firmware v12.

NOTE: because of Delay block changes in firmware 12.03, you may need to change the Feedback values to prevent oscillating.

Attachments

• Delay1 Post Paral XY_20140103_102020.blk
    538 bytes · Views: 279
  • Delay2 Post Paral XY_20140103_102035.blk
    538 bytes · Views: 275
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom