My JCM800 Just Blew Up

Just replaced a blown/defective capacitor in my Diezel Herbert.. Love the reliability of my Fractal equipment šŸ‘

I had a Marshall Super Lead back in the late 70ā€™s. It only sounded good cranked and hot. Too damn loud for the clubs we were playing so I turned it to the wall, stuck a mic back there and buried it in Bekins moving blankets.

It blew and caught fire and ignited the blankets. Saved the cabs but head was total loss. My first ever show with pyro. Scattered crowd, ended show, fire department, the works.

Ordered a Mesa Boogie MKII the very next day.

Fortunately it didn't leak. The vent hole did it's job.

It was my 2204 which is also a Canadian version. I have a US version as well but the Canadian version sounds better.

I will repair this myself. I have a set of F&Ts on the way. The only thing I don't do is transformer replacements because it takes a lot of time and my time is worth more than it is to pay a tech.
My time is worth pesos yet I still would rather have a tech do that.

Yikes. I just checked back into this thread, as I was getting email notices. I discovered that the OP was Cliff Chase and I didnā€™t realize it. I answered that it would be easy to fix, as if he wouldnā€™t know. Iā€™m such a dope.

My 2203 from 1981 died and fixed it. Btw, mine was caused by a blown tube that took out a couple of resistors. I replaced the electrolytics, as well. The most difficult bit were the fuse assemblies. The old plastic was cracked. The original plastic fuse assemblies are not easy to find. Hereā€™s the photo from 07.Nov 2023.
1710426124196.jpeg

Mmmm, I like it when Cliff starts digging out his amps from storage, it means he is cooking something up!!

Top Chef Reality GIF by Top Chef Brasil

Can the ā€œphhhhhhhhtttt, snapā€ be modeled in the next firmware? I really want the entire 2203 experience. Had a 2555 short out on me at a gig hundreds of miles from home. Was part of the decision to go with a modeler to begin with. Marshall makes those awful plastic nuts that get maybe 1/4 turn around the jack. Those come loose, jack falls in the amp on the board and that is the end of it. Horrible design if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom