My frfr cab arrives today, hope I don't hate it.

I have to echo the same thing. You can't expect to plug in and instantly have the guitar tone heavens open up and ring forth instant miracles. It took me a while to really dig into it and get some tones that meshed with my frfr.

But give it time (and yourself as well) and those heavens will open an reveal the infinite rewards. I've had mine over 3 years and it still puts a smile on my face everytime I crank it up. It takes time to figure out how the different pieces of equipment interact and to make it all click into place.

Ps. That's with the ultra btw, which still blows away all my musicians friends minds when they hear it for the first time. Can't imagine what the ax8 could do with a little patience.

I need to rebuild my main patch on the AX8 (Axe II is now gone), but when I do, I'd be happy to post it if you want to try it out
Please do! I'm developing something I really like but it is hard for me to get gig-level time with the CLR so its taking a while to refine. As I'm doing that it would be great to have yours to reference and/or borrow!

Please do! I'm developing something I really like but it is hard for me to get gig-level time with the CLR so its taking a while to refine. As I'm doing that it would be great to have yours to reference and/or borrow!

No worries fella. Will get some play-time this weekend and will post it then :)

I started over yesterday with a fresh ear and got it sounding decent just using a stock Marshall v30 IR. It was sounding really fizzy before no matter what I did. Now I just need some time to crank it up. Also thinking about buying the new OH Marshall V30 ir's. The AIC inspired stuff they put up for a sample sounds really good and is pretty close to the sound I'm going for

Question... I'm only currently using a single ASM while I decide if frfr is going to work. Is this a fair way to judge? I'm comparing it to my Genz Benz 2x12 at the moment so it's kind of like 1/2 of my normal peavy 5150 4x12.

Cliff had a really good cab tip. set it to stereo ultrares (or stereo); on one side use an ir with an SM57 the other side and ir with a 121. Then delay the right side by 0.110 seems to take out some harshness around 4-5k.

Cliff had a really good cab tip. set it to stereo ultrares (or stereo); on one side use an ir with an SM57 the other side and ir with a 121. Then delay the right side by 0.110 seems to take out some harshness around 4-5k.
Cool, I'll try this. Would you use the same IR on both sides? Hard panned?

Can somebody tell me what "amp in the room" sounds like? (without saying like an amp in the room)

Is it the power, feeling the bass hitting you, what is it? Maybe because I live in a condo sharing walls, playing through smaller amps, it's difficult to distinguish between FRFR and 100W amp cranked up. What am I missing from "amp in the room" from my FRFR?

My impression, though my experience is limited with frfr obviously, is a real cab just sounds nasty and aggressive in a good way. The frfr cab sounds polished as if it's been mic'd and recorded. Not that it can't get nasty but it seems to take a lot of know how to get a similar experience.

Cool, I'll try this. Would you use the same IR on both sides? Hard panned?
yes and no, i think Cliff was using F102 and F103 panned center. I'm using it with the same ir but with different mics (from cab pack 20) ML Brit HW 57 on left and ML Brit HW 121 on the right also panned center. Another thing I find helpful is to not be directly facing the cab. just like when a real guitar cab is mic'd thru the PA, most people aren't directly in front of the HF.

Back
Top Bottom