My frfr cab arrives today, hope I don't hate it.

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
I'm fairly anxious about trying out frfr for the first time after reading so many threads about amp in the room, asms suck get clr's, etc etc. sooo, my main amp is the Friedman hbe, can someone that uses asm's recommend me an IR as well as any crucial settings in the cab or power amp to get me pointed in the right direction?

Think of it like having your cab professionally miced in a great studio! A lot of people don't like playing with that sound but if you want to sound like the guitars you hear on recordings you have to use FRFR.
If you are having trouble adjusting to a wedge put it in the same place you normally place your cab and aim it at your knees, not your head!!!
A lot of the feel people miss is the fact that their cabs are aimed at their knees and their wedges are aimed at their heads.

I wish I had a dollar for every time this happens then a number of people (sometimes including my self) start telling the OP using some hi/low cut and remember you are hearing the sound of a miced cab though a PA and will never sound like the "in the room sound" we all grew up being used too

I wish I had a dollar for every time this happens then a number of people (sometimes including my self) start telling the OP using some hi/low cut and remember you are hearing the sound of a miced cab though a PA and will never sound like the "in the room sound" we all grew up being used too
Well I mean it's the truth, of course it's always said in a situation like this...

I know, I have t fully given it a chance yet but initial impressions are very frustrating. Even for a micd tone it sounds like crap on every factory preset I've tried, and anything I've tried to create from scratch.

Does anyone have a preset that was designed on the ASM that they can shoot me to try? Or just point out one in the ax8 Exchange? Looking for 80's metal style gain to start with.

Sorry brother, maybe FRFR is just not your thing?

I'm a HUGE fan of the Friedman ASM-12 & very happy with it on-stage & live w/ my band.

This may not be the tone you're going for, but let me know if it is......It does take the righ IR to make a preset work & feel good through a FRFR system.

Axe-Fx II XL+ & dual Friedman ASM-12's live through my iPhone.

Part-1

Part-2

This preset was constructed on the ASM & is my go to lead patch. Give it a little time & try a few things out to see what's what.

Good luck!

& Peace! X

PS - Sorry that this is not AX8 related & I'll have lots of videos & clips as soon as my invite arrives.

Last edited:
I know, I have t fully given it a chance yet but initial impressions are very frustrating. Even for a micd tone it sounds like crap on every factory preset I've tried, and anything I've tried to create from scratch.

Does anyone have a preset that was designed on the ASM that they can shoot me to try? Or just point out one in the ax8 Exchange? Looking for 80's metal style gain to start with.
try my ax8 presets, they are free: https://axefxtutorials.selz.com/item/56c776666edca00b24f6d1f3

Thanks for helping guys, very much appreciated. I pretty much expected this! My wife is gonna kill me if I don't get off my guitar and Internet so I'm gonna try some things tomorrow, and thx Chris for the presets, and I'll report back hopefully with a happier response.

Give it some time and try out lots of different IRs. When using FRFR cabs, IR choice makes all the difference in your final sound. Take breaks too. Ear fatigue can have you chasing your tail before long. I also find it helpful to play familiar music from a PC or iPod or whatever through your cabs to train your ears to their sonic signature. It can help give you a baseline reference point for their response at different volumes. Short of reference quality studio monitors, few FRFR cabs are truly full range and flat response, especially at different volume levels.

Last edited:
I agree fully - it took me awhile to adjust as well with my CLR, but it just clicked, we were mic'd anyway, so my cab feel was for me only, really. So I just realized why not hear/play exactly what the audience is going to get anyway and save the loadout hassle.

I may be in a similar boat. But I'm a recording engineer, jazz guitarist, and have been used to playing my guitar in my studios FR monitors. But live playing I use a solid state low wattage power amp and two 12" cabs. I have two active XiTone 12" FR on the way. I might have a problem too. But I doubt it. I've been very aware that guitar is a mid range instrument and my set up has been designed around that. I used to wonder about all theses FR guys. Guitar amps and cabs are designed around certain frequencies. But I figure that Fractal boxes are infinitely more capable at carving out those frequencies you really need and want.

I have 2 CLRs and, with experimentation, I've found an amp/cab combo that is beyond anything I ever had with a real cab and head and sounds every bit as convincing as an amp blaring out behind you, rather than a mic'd cab. For me, I LIKE that it sounds like a cab and amp to me and, (and this is contentious), I'm not worried about what the audience hears. Sound guy will take care of that. I just need it to sound and feel good to ME, so I can play my best.

The sounds are in there, for sure... just need to persevere.

I need to rebuild my main patch on the AX8 (Axe II is now gone), but when I do, I'd be happy to post it if you want to try it out. At the end of the day though, you have to do what's right for you.

Good luck dude!
Sukh

Back
Top Bottom