My First Axe-Fx II Cover (U2's Ultraviolet)

Axeman

Experienced
Ok, I'm not even close to being in Mark Day's league when it comes to guitar skills/talent, but I can pull a few tones out of the Axe-Fx hat. This is for the U2 fans out there. All Axe-Fx II except for sustainer. AC-30 models in the Axe-Fx II are excellent.

Recorded direct into my video camera. Recording set up is:

Axe-Fx II s/pidf out -------> RME Fireface UC --> Sign Video Pro Mixer --> Canon Vixia HFS10 HD camcorder.
Logic 9 Pro out Mac USB---/

I don't like having to match separate audio and video together, so this set up allows me to record audio direct into a video camera mic input. Works great!

Michael

Thank you, very good sound.
Thank you too for the tip for using the fet drive to grind up the AC-30 sound in another video. It works really great.

Great job as always, Michael!! Love the Peace of Mind intro, too!

Are the FET and Tube drives X/Y'd in the same preset?

Last edited:
Great job as always, Michael!! Love the Peace of Mind intro, too!

Are the FET and Tube drives X/Y'd in the same preset?

Thx all! Yes, the FET and Tube Drive were X and Y. The Pi Fuzz was in the second drive. On the Ultra I would have needed two presets for this song.

M

Wow, very cool. I will have to try and deconstruct this one I get mine (can't even figure out "paralell shimmer" and running multiple delays with different tempos at the same time lol!
There is a huge thread on TGP about U2, how good they are (in particular the Edge). It's hilarious to hear so many wankers proclaim the Edge is not a talented player. Clearly his rhythm work is super cool as demonstrated by you and he developed a completely unique and compelling sound all his own. Anyway, really good stuff!

Edge doesn't play monster lead licks, sure, but the guy has pretty much single-handedly created an entire genre/style of music. I'm guessing it's some wannabe metal shredders who say he's not talented. That would be like saying Rusty Cooley is the best guitar player ever because he plays so fast. Everybody's welcome to their own opinion, but I'll take tasty melody (especially if it's accessible to us mere mortals) to flashy sweep runs that I'll never be able to play any day.

I'm always impressed with how Edge takes simple ideas and uses them to construct interesting and memorable riffs and musical ideas. "Where The Streets Have No Name" demonstrates that beautifully - the 3/4 atmospheric synth intro minor and sus chords combined with a simple repeating guitar lick and some delay and you have music that literally gives me chills everytime I hear it.
At work so I can't hear the video, but looking forward to checking it out when I get home.

KG

Great work. The tones sound great. My only critique would be what was said before in terms of the volume of the fuzz changes. It feels a little quiet at times. Great quality. I like it. Didn't actually notice it was such an involved song before preset wise. You go through a lot of different OD / Fuzz pedals.

Mastered mp3 track of Ultraviolet cover

My good friend Lukas took the audio from my cover and mastered it with Ozone. Sounds even better! Go to the Soundcloud page for notes on what he did to the track.

Hey Mick,

sounds great! But, is there a big difference between Ultra and II ? Did you sell your Ultra? Hope we´ll get more Ultra stuff, too! :mrgreen I like your U2 Guitar tutorials, much! Great, great work! Helps much!

Still have the Ultra. Still rebuilding presets (ugh). But this is Michael, not Mick. Mick has much more talent. ;-)

Michael

Back
Top Bottom