move presets around w/ out saving over other presets via front panel

mgavin

Experienced
can i organize the presets with out saving over other presets via the front panel? i know how to name them and move them around but i always end up saving over another patch. i'd like to sandwich my favorites together all in a row.... i have access to axe-edit but im just wondering if i can do this on the front panel... thanks in advance!

You have to overwrite (or swap) an existing preset to save another one.

Use Axe-Edit for bulk operations.

All factory presets can be restored from backup flash ROM in the AFXII.
You can backup your own presets to onboard ROM, or to a computer.

After getting my AFXII, I'll run through the factory presets and delete the ones I don't care for.
Then move the remaining factory presets to banks B and C (using Axe-Edit) and reserve bank A (0-127) for my own presets.

Backing up and restoring - Axe-Fx II Wiki

It will be far easier to do using AxeManage - than the front panel. I pretty much do what Yek is saying he will. Tho' those 1st 40 presets cover a lot of tone-age that I will need. So some of my Ultra presets that I've been converting will not be used.

You can swap preset positions on the II. It doesn't overwrite it just swaps positions.
And it can be done from the front panel.

It is pretty easy on the II

Press STORE and PAGE to the right to the SWAP page.
Use NAV keys and the value wheel to select the two presets whose locations you want to switch.
Press ENTER to Store.
Press Enter to Confirm. The message “SWAPPED!” will appear briefly when the operation completes.

It is pretty easy on the II

Press STORE and PAGE to the right to the SWAP page.
Use NAV keys and the value wheel to select the two presets whose locations you want to switch.
Press ENTER to Store.
Press Enter to Confirm. The message “SWAPPED!” will appear briefly when the operation completes.

I'm having trouble with the swapping feature on the front panel. When I go through the correct procedure, it overwrites rather than swaps and sometimes it doesn't do anything...anyone else have a problem with swapping? I have to use the front panel as my old mac doesn't do well with Axe-Edit...thanks

I'm having trouble with the swapping feature on the front panel. When I go through the correct procedure, it overwrites rather than swaps and sometimes it doesn't do anything...anyone else have a problem with swapping? I have to use the front panel as my old mac doesn't do well with Axe-Edit...thanks
Same here. Often I get a setting write to the selected channel without the title, a write of the title only to the swapped channel without the settings, resulting in two presets that sound the same and a complete overwrite of one channels settings (that channel sound now only exists as a title).

Fortunately you can get the sound back from a backup, but I have yet to have one swap as expected (title and settings reversing places in memory). I have done this several times while going step by step as shown above. It's easier to just use Axe Edit for me and drag/drop what I want.

When you do a swap from the front panel you then need to do a recall after to load the swapped preset.

Hey Cliff! Always happy to hear from the Top Dog.

I'm not sure I am completely clear on that one. Do you mean going back to recall mode and selecting the preset? I've gone back to these presets several time since, same sound. For example, I swapped the 59 Bassguy and Soldano lead presets. The titles did swap, but the Soldano preset settings ended up in both places. Did I miss a step to make the swap complete?

I have a few more swaps I'd like to do!

UPDATE: I went and looked again. When I pulled up the 59 Bassguy preset that was moved, paged to "effect" and selected Amp 1, it sounds great. I'm not actually even sure of what I changed with that (if it is actually the Fender sim), I will look into it more after tonight's gig.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom