Most Underrated guitar solos of all time

I don't know if these two qualify for most underrated solos of all time....just a couple that come to mind that may not be very well known at all, and some of you might enjoy:

First...Night Ranger Eddie's Coming Out Tonight. Brad Gillis and Jeff Watson were a great pair in the day. Lot's of whammy from Brad, but some cool harmony guitars in outro.

Night Ranger - 04 Eddie's Coming Out Tonight (Live @ Kousei Nenkin Hall, Japan 12.13.83) - YouTube

And I have always liked solos that really impart the emotion from the player. This one from Reb Beach on Winger Karma Album at around 4 min mark. Just a cool building and angry solo from Reb.

Winger-Witness - YouTube

Oh...and anything by Luke and Toto. IMHO one of the most under appreciated players and bands (in the USA).

Last edited:
Funny, I think he's the worst part of Pearl Jam (a band I LOVE!). The live 20th anniversary collection has mind-numbingly bad solos on it. Sounds like when we were kids and got stoned and just... wandered all over the place.

But that's what's great about life - we're all different and different things please us.

Yorke is indeed very underrated.
Hmmm... being more of an rhythm guitarist (coloring chords/arrangements and stuff myself) I´m not that much into solo in the first place.

Although not under-rated but I am a bit surprised that 10 pages on in this thread and still no mention of Mike McCready (Pearl Jam).
I´m not so fancy of his (or anyones) shredding, but when it sounds like he´s fighting some inner demons and the way he´s working his wah-wah in some of his solos is pure magnificient IMHO... kinda rips up and torching skies with it (Go from album VS are my favourite in that manner).

IF we would have talked about under-rated rhythm guitarist, I would say Thom Yorke (yes, the singer). He´s got some really amazing grooves (i e Bodysnatchers and he´s singing at the same time) and adds great textures sometimes...

Oh, and I love Josh Hommes anti-(guitar)hero attitude!

That solo is great the way Punk was great - it's RAW (and that is the soul of rock and roll). It is caveman playing, battering. It is the epitome of pre-punk in its simplicity, rawness, and total lack of self-consciousness.

P.S. ALl my quotes refer to the RECORDED SINGLE, not anything done live.
Yes, I understand the song was done way back when most guitar players were still simmering in the pot of style, flash and technique. Work with me here, I'm just trying to understand what makes a solo underrated and to me it was a perfect example of a well known group that has a "popular song" that contains a solo that is very basic in nature and pretty boring, at least to me anyway... part of what I'm getting at.

I happen to like the Kinks but if the fact that I used one of their songs to make a point makes you feel a little defensive then use any group you want for this example, it really doesn't matter to me.

The question still remains and needs to be qualified, What deems a solo to be "underrated"?

Haven't read through this whole thread, but I'd like to say somethings about Tom Morello. Most people just listen to the hits, Bulls on Parade, Guerrilla Radio, Killing in the Name Of - but there are tons of other deep tracks.

Know Your Enemy - really innovated guitar tone. Sick bass work by Cummerford though (he should totally have an Axe!!!!)

Calm like a Bomb - The parts both Morello and Cummerford play can make anyone want an expression pedal! They definitely have pushed the limits of, "woah, I didn't know you could do that..." So far as I know, Cummerford has two bass wah pedals wired together in some fashion. It sounds DEEP.

Strangely enough, I decided to wait to get the II because of guys like Morello and Cummerford. I wanted a better whammy and everything else I'd need to make those crazy helicopter noises and more. Being in a RATM cover band is totally on my bucket list :)

Funny, I think he's the worst part of Pearl Jam (a band I LOVE!). The live 20th anniversary collection has mind-numbingly bad solos on it. Sounds like when we were kids and got stoned and just... wandered all over the place.

But that's what's great about life - we're all different and different things please us.

Yorke is indeed very underrated.

I saw Pearl Jam a number of years ago and was very disappointed with the guitar playing. It was just unimaginative pentatonic noodling.

Skunk Baxter, another under-rated 70s studio monster. He had a slew of charted records with Steely Dan, back to Reelin' In The Years/Can't Buy a Thrill days, although I think the actual solo on Reelin' was done in the studio by Elliot Randall (who I think started Randall Amplifiers). Skunk (Jeff, properly) also did a lot of work with The Doobie Brothers. Great player. Love S/D, just great music over a long span.

FYI......The Reelin In The Years solo was performed by Elliott Randall....recorded on the 2nd take. Skunk played one of the rhythm guitar parts in videos I have seen. Elliott Randall is not associated with Randall Amps in any way.

Eliott Randall is a damn fine player - listen to his debut "Randall's Island" - take out the dog and bark the cat - what a great tune, what an awesome guitar work!

This is a great thread! Fun to read through everyone's faves.
I'm not sure how many of these are "underrated" but here's some of my favorites that haven't been mentioned yet.

Frank Zappa - Muffin Man and Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy
Jeff Beck - 'Cause We've Ended As Lovers
Alex Lifeson - Limelight
Terry Kath - almost anything from Chicago @ Carnegie Hall
David Lindley - Mercury Blues and many songs from Jackson Browne's first few records
Robert Quine - Girlfriend (Matthew Sweet)

This is a great thread! Fun to read through everyone's faves. I'm not sure how many of these are "underrated" but here's some of my favorites that haven't been mentioned yet. Frank Zappa - Muffin Man and Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy Jeff Beck - 'Cause We've Ended As Lovers Alex Lifeson - Limelight Terry Kath - almost anything from Chicago @ Carnegie Hall David Lindley - Mercury Blues and many songs from Jackson Browne's first few records Robert Quine - Girlfriend (Matthew Sweet)

Love the Beck and Lindley mentioned above, but I don't think they're underrated. I think they're iconic. Blow by Blow was hugely acclaimed and influential and Lindley's solos on those Jackson Browne records are still resonating. Lindley's not exactly a household name, but anyone who plays lap steel probably considers him a god.

Listen to the work of Glenn Pearce in this video. He solos at 1:50, 3:15 and 4:05. The solo at 3:15 is particularly tasty IMHO. His work throughout the video however, is outstanding and I encourage you to listen to the entire clip. Glenn's choice of tones and phrases are tasty, emotional and ultimately in service of the song.

Michael W. Smith - Secret Ambition - (Live) - YouTube

Terry.

That's actually some very solid guitar work.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

DAMN your taste and mine are similar! I opened for Richard Hell and the Voidoids once at CBGB's, and Robert Quine was a total hero of mine. A real high point! HE was a DEEP player - his recorded output doesn't show it - he knew delta blues up and down, Jazz, etc.
This is a great thread! Fun to read through everyone's faves.
I'm not sure how many of these are "underrated" but here's some of my favorites that haven't been mentioned yet.

Frank Zappa - Muffin Man and Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy
Jeff Beck - 'Cause We've Ended As Lovers
Alex Lifeson - Limelight
Terry Kath - almost anything from Chicago @ Carnegie Hall
David Lindley - Mercury Blues and many songs from Jackson Browne's first few records
Robert Quine - Girlfriend (Matthew Sweet)

Back
Top Bottom