Most Underrated guitar solos of all time

I'll probably get murdered for this one since it's not as sophisticated as some of the other esoteric guitar solos but:

Everything is underrated about this guy, chops, feel, funk, melody.. this one happens to be chops! enjoy

An underrated guitar solo would be one that flies under the radar of most guitar players. Pagey's solo on Stairway to Heaven or Claptons on Crossroads could not be underrated. Or it could be a solo from a well known guitarist in a well known band on a well known CD, yet no one has mentioned this small, short solo. Or a not often heard, specialty genre, some bluegrass picker unknown out of Nashville, or some brilliant jazz guitarist like Ben Monder or Adam Rogers. He maybe well known in his small circle but the general guitar playing public is unaware.

An underrated guitar solo would be one that flies under the radar of most guitar players. Pagey's solo on Stairway to Heaven or Claptons on Crossroads could not be underrated. Or it could be a solo from a well known guitarist in a well known band on a well known CD, yet no one has mentioned this small, short solo. Or a not often heard, specialty genre, some bluegrass picker unknown out of Nashville, or some brilliant jazz guitarist like Ben Monder or Adam Rogers. He maybe well known in his small circle but the general guitar playing public is unaware.

So basically a solo that is not from a popular song that sounds good and has a good musical structure and inspires you in some sort of way.

I love the unsung heroes of the guitar - even so called simple stuff is great if it fits into the song! For example Joan Jett's version of the Arrows classic "i love rock n roll" - the solo is simple stupid but it's a damn great part that rings in your ears for years! It's about feel about storytelling - most of todays perfect technical solos were made with a huge skill set from their players - but I can't remember any of them. They are fast, wild more more more......but today every better artist have to fit exactly to the skills of all those youtube super hyper guitarists. This is not my path to go......At the bottom end - music is a personal expression of feelings...

When I was a kid, i first listen to overdriven guitar of a french 80s punk artist "Plastic Bertrand" - Song called "ca plane pour moi" ....

but here is another classic with a great simple solo! Simple but just right, it says everything - the essence of a great song - less is more! :encouragement:

Hmmm... being more of an rhythm guitarist (coloring chords/arrangements and stuff myself) I´m not that much into solo in the first place.

Although not under-rated but I am a bit surprised that 10 pages on in this thread and still no mention of Mike McCready (Pearl Jam).
I´m not so fancy of his (or anyones) shredding, but when it sounds like he´s fighting some inner demons and the way he´s working his wah-wah in some of his solos is pure magnificient IMHO... kinda rips up and torching skies with it (Go from album VS are my favourite in that manner).

IF we would have talked about under-rated rhythm guitarist, I would say Thom Yorke (yes, the singer). He´s got some really amazing grooves (i e Bodysnatchers and he´s singing at the same time) and adds great textures sometimes...

Oh, and I love Josh Hommes anti-(guitar)hero attitude!

Last edited:
I loved the Bill Nelson from Bebop Deluxe bit. He's a hell of a guitar player and they never really got their due. He plays with such tone and authority.

I was trying to find a YouTube version of a Jim Campilongo song called Feisty's Ride from Table for One. It's got a great solo. Jim is an amazing player and Table for One is a fantastic CD. Kind of a hybrid of Roy Buchanan, Bill Frisell and other influences. Very composerly and cinematic. Not guitar flash at all, but some great tunes and great playing. The other CDs I've heard of his have some really great stuff, but Table for One does it for me beginning to end in a very original way.

Hmmm... being more of an rhythm guitarist (coloring chords/arrangements and stuff myself) I´m not that much into solo in the first place.

Although not under-rated but I am a bit surprised that 10 pages on in this thread and still no mention of Mike McCready (Pearl Jam).
I´m not so fancy of his (or anyones) shredding, but when it sounds like he´s fighting some inner demons and the way he´s working his wah-wah in some of his solos is pure magnificient IMHO... kinda rips up and torching skies with it (Go from album VS are my favourite in that manner).

IF we would have talked about under-rated rhythm guitarist, I would say Thom Yorke (yes, the singer). He´s got some really amazing grooves (i e Bodysnatchers and he´s singing at the same time) and adds great textures sometimes...

Oh, and I love Josh Hommes anti-(guitar)hero attitude!

Under-rated solo IMHO (and also shows Thoms textures):
Radiohead - There there - Live on BBC Later... Jools Holland - YouTube

How about the intro to Sweet Jane on Lou Reed's live album Rock 'n Roll Animal. Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter were hired guns for Reed's band. A really great arrangement.

To me it sounds so simplistic that it has a childish or I'm new to the guitar quality to it

He play with a lot of attitude and fire! This is a great example of an underrated solo - his timing is excellent to! Far away from this beginner stuff you usually hear in musicstores when kids try to back up a pentatonic scale while testing an expensive tube amplifier (better would invest their money on a tuner first).

No, that actually not quite what I saud, or not what I meant to say. I said it could have been from a well known guitarist, well known band, well known song yet the solo was seldom remarked upon.

Ok, so then it basically boils down to what an individual likes that no one else has noticed in guitar playing? seems pretty broad. IDK maybe I'm just having a hard time with this topic.

Della Brown; Queensryche. Chris Degarmo - solo 1 and 2, Michael Wilton - outro solo. A great study in "metal guitarists" taking their time with lead parts and paying attention to phrasing.

Ok, so then it basically boils down to what an individual likes that no one else has noticed in guitar playing? seems pretty broad. IDK maybe I'm just having a hard time with this topic.
Yeah, of course. How can you quantify it? It's all subjective. And who knows. I might discover someone who is new to me and I think he's under appreciated yet well known. I used to like Dave Masons solo on Look at You, Look at Me. Who is to say whether it's underrated? I've never heard anyone talk about it. And it's not an earth shattering solo, but I always liked it. Who's to say? We are. That's all.

Back
Top Bottom