Most Underrated guitar solos of all time

And don't forget Devin...

For the best guitar solo/vocal solo by one person combo... guitar solo at 5:14, vocal solo at 7:30...

And then another Devin'esque solo... solo starts at about 3:00 and kicks into 2nd gear at 4:37

Dismissed by some as technically brilliant but mechanical, soulless, blah blah.. Here's Al and RTF killin' it (jump to Sorceress @ 5:15)

I always liked this track from John Norum. Gotta love a pissed off Marshall being reined in by a volume knob on the guitar. He gets some almost sitar like tones from it at times.

I also liked the interplay between Kim Mitchell and Alex Lifeson on Battlescar a lot. Some decent drumming on this one too...

Vivian Campbell on def leppard - goodbye. The shortest solo i ve ever heard. Not more than ten notes played. But the impact and feel is phenomenal

Eddie Van Halen - Pleasure dome.

You can't have a discussion about anything underrated without mentioning Dann Huff: AKA otherworldly lead guitarist, lead vocalist, and songwriter of the rock band Giant. Oh yeah... and he used to be a session guitarist who played on records by nearly EVERY famous artist of the 1980s. Now he's also a producer extraordinaire who produces the biggest names in Country music. This guy deserves way more recognition than he gets.

Solo is at 2:41

Last edited:
Completely unknown: Jay Graydon

Successful songwriter Steve Kipner (Bee Gees, Newton-John's "Physical) had an unsuccessful solo record that was Jay Graydon's first gig as producer. His extended solo here (starting around 1:30) is spectacular.

More Obscure Jay Graydon

He's probably best known in guitar circles for the solo in Steely Dan's "Peg". Here's some more late 70s L.A. pop. Solo around 1:40 and vamp out around 3:10. I wore this record out back in the day.

How about it folks, who do you like? What solo no-one's ever heard (or at least a lot of us) do you just love.

Sure, you can pick a famous guy - if you still think he or his solo (she or her solo)a are underrated, but I'd love to hear some relative unknowns.

But I'll start with some knowns:

Dickie Betts, Stormy Monday, Live at Fillmore East - Everyone gushes over Duane Allman's solo on this one, but I find it a tad predictable. Betts' solo, on the other hand, with its jazzy and risky tangents, just thrills me. I love a solo that builds slowly and reaches a really beautiful crescendo.

I'll think of some lesser-known artists to, but I welcome your 'nominations'! Suprise us! Educate us!

Thanks.

Lowell George's slide parts on the live version of "All That You Dream". Simple, melodic, gorgeous. No frivolous notes, nothing flashy, but it's perfect.

Back
Top Bottom