Moke's 'Boys Are Back In Town'

Did anyone get this preset working?

YES!

Hi Moke. Better late than never :)

You did such a great job with this, and I've loved this song forever so I was inspired to try your preset. It got me most of the way there but not entirely. I did tweak the preset in a few ways. Most of the changes I made were personal taste and my own signal chain adjustments. Here are some things I did:
  • Modified custom scales and Pitch X/Y to get four harmonies
  • Used one expression pedal to bring in 3rd voice
  • Used external switch to drop 1st and add new voice at the high end, effectively shifting the harmonies up to sound like a fourth guitar
  • Don't use the harmonizer for the "bridge" harmony part - instead play two strings to get the harmony off the fingerboard with the harmonizing Pitch Block bypassed

TODO: Insert LooperBlock to capture lower harmony line and loop it as I push the harmonies up to the higher register near the end of the song.

Thanks for this Moke. I finally learned to play this tune thanks to your preset and inspiration. Gonna take it for a spin at my next gig in a few weeks.

"Holy Thread Resurrection Batman":shock.....................I had forgotten all about this one.

Thanks Gary, Post a clip or video so we can check it out.

Moke

Just trying to pick your brain for a second. Do you by chance happen to know any good places to get Thin Lizzy backing tracks from ?? I am specifically looking for the song Renegade. I have been trying to do all of the parts myself but some of the drum fills that Brian Downey did in that song, specifically the Live/Life version are very hard to reproduce.

Thanks

Wayne

"Holy Thread Resurrection Batman":shock.....................I had forgotten all about this one.

Thanks Gary, Post a clip or video so we can check it out.

You can check out, but you can never leave ... :mrgreen

Will do. I'll record it this weekend and post it.

Last edited:
Moke

Just trying to pick your brain for a second. Do you by chance happen to know any good places to get Thin Lizzy backing tracks from ?? I am specifically looking for the song Renegade. I have been trying to do all of the parts myself but some of the drum fills that Brian Downey did in that song, specifically the Live/Life version are very hard to reproduce.

Thanks

Wayne

Not at the moment, But I will look around..........

Moke;
I owe you an apology - I listened to your entire track of Boys R Back and I think its better than mine. I even like the tone better. I'll probably grab your preset and start over. Regardless, I promised that I'd record my preset this weekend so I did - mistakes, flubs and all. I play only one riff for all the harmonies; the Pitch Blck does the rest. Sorry for the mistakes, but the point was to demonstrate the Pitch block usage. So here it is:

Boys R Back alt

Moke

Thanks

Wayne

You could try this Free Guitar Backing Tracks @ GuitarBackingTrack.com

Moke;
I owe you an apology - I listened to your entire track of Boys R Back and I think its better than mine. I even like the tone better. I'll probably grab your preset and start over. Regardless, I promised that I'd record my preset this weekend so I did - mistakes, flubs and all. I play only one riff for all the harmonies; the Pitch Blck does the rest. Sorry for the mistakes, but the point was to demonstrate the Pitch block usage. So here it is:

Boys R Back alt

Yeah, I like mine better too.............bahahaha...............Sorry Gary, I couldn't help myself....lol.

Good job Gary, trickier than it sounds isn't it? And thanks for posting it. Keep'em coming

Here are the "Custom scales" in the "Global" menu. The preset uses #5, 6, & 7. But you can program these into any unused locations you please. Just change "scale used" parameters in Pitch block 2 ("X"#5, "Y"#6 &#7) to match where you put those scales.

Scene #1, main rhythm, intro and chorus', no harmonies.

Scene #2, Verse's, less gain, less volume (scene controller #1 lowers "Input Trim" and 'Output Level" in amp block)

Scene #3, Solo/turn-around part (at 3:23 in clip), Delay added, Custom harmony #5. 1st 2 notes play the higher part, 3rd string, 9th & 6th frets. Then the lower part, 4th string, 3rd, 5th, 7th, & 3rd frets, Then the "D" and "E" chords.(the harmonies will mute automatically when you play any chords or any notes below the range of the piece)...........a cool trick......

Scene #4, Solo parts with harmonies, Delay added, Custom harmonys #6 & #7. Play the higher part. Custom harmony #7 level is controlled be External controller #3. I use an expression pedal to add this higher harmony near the end of the song. (the harmonies will mute automatically when you play any chords or any notes below the range of the piece)

Custom Scale #5..........-3,-3,-3,-3, 3, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5,-4,-4

Custom Scale #6..........-3,-4,-5,-5,-5,-5,-4,-5,-5,-5,-3,-4

Custom Scale #7.......... 4, 5, 5, 4, 3, 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3

Hey Moke, found the Custom scales in the Global menu, but had to do it on the AX8 itself. No options to do it in AX8-Edit as far as I can see.

So now that I have my three custom scales entered, how do I assign them? You mention "scale used" paramters, but I don't see that anywhere in AX8-edit. Paged through options on my AX8 also and don't see that. Any ideas?

Here are the "Custom scales" in the "Global" menu. The preset uses #5, 6, & 7. But you can program these into any unused locations you please. Just change "scale used" parameters in Pitch block 2 ("X"#5, "Y"#6 &#7) to match where you put those scales.

Scene #1, main rhythm, intro and chorus', no harmonies.

Scene #2, Verse's, less gain, less volume (scene controller #1 lowers "Input Trim" and 'Output Level" in amp block)

Scene #3, Solo/turn-around part (at 3:23 in clip), Delay added, Custom harmony #5. 1st 2 notes play the higher part, 3rd string, 9th & 6th frets. Then the lower part, 4th string, 3rd, 5th, 7th, & 3rd frets, Then the "D" and "E" chords.(the harmonies will mute automatically when you play any chords or any notes below the range of the piece)...........a cool trick......

Scene #4, Solo parts with harmonies, Delay added, Custom harmonys #6 & #7. Play the higher part. Custom harmony #7 level is controlled be External controller #3. I use an expression pedal to add this higher harmony near the end of the song. (the harmonies will mute automatically when you play any chords or any notes below the range of the piece)

Custom Scale #5..........-3,-3,-3,-3, 3, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5,-4,-4

Custom Scale #6..........-3,-4,-5,-5,-5,-5,-4,-5,-5,-5,-3,-4

Custom Scale #7.......... 4, 5, 5, 4, 3, 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3

DUDE....Finally figured it out!!!

how did you ever figure this out?????????????????????

I did find that the AX8 manual has NONE of this in it. Had to go back to AXE FX manual and then found the section on Custom Shift......

Thanks again for all the help. Had to re-read your posts several times and then finding the AXE FX manual finally made it all click.

Nice!......I was just making some screen shots for you but sounds like you got it.:)

Wait until you find out that the harmonies automatically go away when you play below a certain note or play any chords.......o_O

Punchy and insane at 3:21, Moke! You did it again! I thought that your Boston Longtime patch was enough, but then you come through with this one!! Isn't this song THE SINGLE REASON why guitar players buy harmonizers in the first place? (Well maybe Hotel California too :D)

I think it's

Cntl + PrtnScn

Then open windows paint and select

edit -> paste.

Haven't done it in many years tho so I may be totally wacked.

Great job on the tune!!!

Late to the party, but <Ctrl> + <PrntScrn> will capture everything on your monitor(s). If you use <Alt> + <PrntScrn> instead, you'll get only the active window.

Great preset, BTW, Moke! I'll load it and study it...I'm sure it's full of cool tricks. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom