Moke's 'Boys Are Back In Town'

Moke

Axe-Master
Vendor
"The Boys Are Back In Town" (1 Guitar)

A Quick test of a new preset I made today for "The Boys Are Back In Town". One Guitar Track (no over-dubs). All harmonies and effects are coming from one Axe FX preset. My Guitar is tuned in standard A-440, The preset is using one "Pitch Block" to drop the guitar pitch down 1/2 step and the other "Pitch Block" (using 3 'Global' scales and "X/Y") to create the other harmonies.

I just learned it last night............be gentle...

Last edited:
Sounds great here care to share how you did that ?
love to learn how myself Im on an old mfc 101 version yet but on 17 on the axe II.

Sounds great here through studio monitors though id like to learn the tune
and the harmony thing is beyond me as well as upgrading the mfc 101 at this point..

like to try to learn though..

great job btw sounds right to me...

how do you blend your track with the original vocals ?
well done..!

That sounded great. The original had multiple guitars so this is a different thing, but it sits really nice.

This is the preset I intend to use live. I'm the only guitarist in the band. Was a bit tricky figuring out the custom scales and the notes to play to get the desired results. Not an exact match, but pretty close?

This is the preset I intend to use live. I'm the only guitarist in the band. Was a bit tricky figuring out the custom scales and the notes to play to get the desired results. Not an exact match, but pretty close?

Sometime ago these directions, below, were posted about making a patch for this song. Wish I had gotten to it. Is this what you did Moke?

Boys are back in town -

Drop the pitch shifter in after the amp and select the intelligent harmoniser.

set the scale to custom, key to A and set number of notes to 6. voice 1 harmony to -3 and voice 2 level to zero
set the custom notes to C, D, E, F, G, A
you'll need to play the riff, so that your first note is A and the harmony will play the lower part for you

Sometime ago these directions, below, were posted about making a patch for this song. Wish I had gotten to it. Is this what you did Moke?

Boys are back in town -

Drop the pitch shifter in after the amp and select the intelligent harmoniser.

set the scale to custom, key to A and set number of notes to 6. voice 1 harmony to -3 and voice 2 level to zero
set the custom notes to C, D, E, F, G, A
you'll need to play the riff, so that your first note is A and the harmony will play the lower part for you

No, that isn't actually correct. When you play the 4th and 5th notes of that scale the lower part has to stay at the 2nd note. The "Custom" scale in the "Intelligent" mode doesn't allow this. (too bad, this would make things like this MUCH easier)

Reactions: JT2
No, that isn't actually correct. When you play the 4th and 5th notes of that scale the lower part has to stay at the 2nd note. The "Custom" scale in the "Intelligent" mode doesn't allow this. (too bad, this would make things like this MUCH easier)

Thanks. Check your mail box Moke.

Love it--performance and preset you have created!! I know you had to have put a lot of work into it but would really learn a lot from a screenshot of the layout if you feel so inclined :)

Cheers!!

A Quick test of a new preset I made today for "The Boys Are Back In Town". One Guitar Track (no over-dubs). All harmonies and effects are coming from one Axe FX preset. My Guitar is tuned in standard A-440, The preset is using one "Pitch Block" to drop the guitar pitch down 1/2 step and the other "Pitch Block" (using 3 custom harmonies and "X/Y") to create the other harmonies.

I just learned it last night............be gentle...

Love it--performance and preset you have created!! I know you had to have put a lot of work into it but would really learn a lot from a screenshot of the layout if you feel so inclined :)

Cheers!!

Ok.... But I'm using a user IR and 3 custom harmonies not included with the preset. Ext. controller #1 in the cab block for volume control. Ext. controller #3 in pitch block #2 to control voice #2 level. A few Internal controller tricks I use in the pitch block!!!......Study those, there might be a test?

The IR is a mix of factory cabs #57, #58, and the Ultra-res "OH 412 MAR-CB H-SB-75 Studio-Mod" (included with the latest FW downloads)

I Can't figure out how to do a screen shot on my old Windows XP computer?

Preset is now available in my store..

Last edited:
I'm using 3 "Custom scales" in the "Global" menu. The preset uses #5, 6, & 7. But you can program these into any unused locations you please. Just change "scale used" parameters in Pitch block 2 ("X"#5, "Y"#6 &#7) to match where you put those scales.

Scene #1, main rhythm, intro and chorus', no harmonies.

Scene #2, Verse's, less gain, less volume (scene controller #1 lowers "Input Trim" and 'Output Level" in amp block)

Scene #3, Solo/turn-around part (at 3:23 in clip), Delay added, Custom harmony #5. 1st 2 notes play the higher part, 3rd string, 9th & 6th frets. Then the lower part, 4th string, 3rd, 5th, 7th, & 3rd frets, Then the "D" and "E" chords.(the harmonies will mute automatically when you play any chords or any notes below the range of the piece)...........a cool trick......

Scene #4, Solo parts with harmonies, Delay added, Custom harmonys #6 & #7. Play the higher part. Custom harmony #7 level is controlled be External controller #3. I use an expression pedal to add this higher harmony near the end of the song. (the harmonies will mute automatically when you play any chords or any notes below the range of the piece)

Last edited:
Let me know if you get it all working or have any questions.

B.T.W. The good old "Basketweave TV" IR works as a good substitute.

Also, You will need to lower the cab block level from "5" to "0" when you change the IR to keep it from cliping. My IR mix is about 5 db quieter than most others? And you might need to remove or reprogram the External controller attached to the cab block "level" parameter.

I Can't figure out how to do a screen shot on my old Windows XP computer?

I think it's

Cntl + PrtnScn

Then open windows paint and select

edit -> paste.

Haven't done it in many years tho so I may be totally wacked.

Great job on the tune!!!

I think it's

Cntl + PrtnScn

Then open windows paint and select

edit -> paste.

Haven't done it in many years tho so I may be totally wacked.

Great job on the tune!!!

Thanks randolfo, works with just the PrtScrn button. What was throwing me off was, you don't get any kind of confirmation. So I didn't think the screen was getting captured? But it is copied to the "clipboard", and then just paste it in "Paint" like you said.
And boom........there it is.

Back
Top Bottom