Modeling Questions

Is it best to use the 100W High with the Plexi tone stack for the most accurate “‘68” style Plexi/Super Lead or is the 1970 with the modded presence cap a better option?

I don’t mean “better” as in better/worse.

Is it best to use the 100W High with the Plexi tone stack for the most accurate “‘68” style Plexi/Super Lead or is the 1970 with the modded presence cap a better option?

I don’t mean “better” as in better/worse.
There is no "best" or "most accurate". Marshall amps in those days were wildly inconsistent. There are conflicting reports of the tone stacks. Our reference amp has log pots. George Metropolous says most of the amps he's seen had log pots. Some people claim linear pots were more prevalent.

In the end it doesn't matter. Set the tone controls to where it sounds best to you. You can achieve the same sounds regardless of the tapers. You just have to put the controls in different spots. Don't obsess about it. Make music.

The 1970 model doesn't have a "modded presence cap", whatever that means. It has less negative feedback.

There is no "best" or "most accurate". Marshall amps in those days were wildly inconsistent. There are conflicting reports of the tone stacks. Our reference amp has log pots. George Metropolous says most of the amps he's seen had log pots. Some people claim linear pots were more prevalent.

In the end it doesn't matter. Set the tone controls to where it sounds best to you. You can achieve the same sounds regardless of the tapers. You just have to put the controls in different spots. Don't obsess about it. Make music.

The 1970 model doesn't have a "modded presence cap", whatever that means. It has less negative feedback.
Appreciate that - I didn’t mean best in that sense.

Re the “modded presence cap”, I meant changing the presence value @James Freeman was referring to earlier in the thread.

Less negative feedback means more perceived gain, is that right? So putting that up to where the ‘69 has it would bring it in line with that? The 1970 seems gainier and squishier, which I’m guessing is the negative feedback.

Appreciate that - I didn’t mean best in that sense.

Re the “modded presence cap”, I meant changing the presence value @James Freeman was referring to earlier in the thread.

Less negative feedback means more perceived gain, is that right? So putting that up to where the ‘69 has it would bring it in line with that? The 1970 seems gainier and squishier, which I’m guessing is the negative feedback.
You lost me. I don't know what you're trying to achieve. Putting what up to where?

Yep, that worked perfectly.
Anyone who wants to try a Super Lead with a 0.68u presence cap, set "Presence Frequency" to 0.147 on the 1970 100W model.
Waiting patiently for separate channels, otherwise it's a really nice 1959 Super Lead.

5k+0.1u = 318Hz (Presence Frequency: default 1)
View attachment 130732

5k+0.68u = 47Hz (Presence Frequency: 0.147)
Almost a full bandpass, very noticeable with Pre-PI Master Volume mod like Jose.
View attachment 130733
@FractalAudio this

FWIW, our reference 100W Plexi is sort of in between 1968 and 1969. It has an 820 ohm cathode resistor on V1B. Coupling cap is 2.2n. Feedback is 47K off the speaker jack (!!!). The model assumes a full stack w/ (2) 16-ohm cabs so that would equivalent to 8-ohm tap.
Love this amp model. I do all my Aerosmith side project’s rhythm tracks with it.

Back
Top Bottom