MOAEE - UD Stomp (Holdsworth settings)

simeon

Axe-Master
here are some multidelay blocks that emulate three settings from the Yamaha UD Stomp (invented by Allan Holdsworth)

largeUD.jpg

a truly wonderful delay unit capable of a whole host of time based fx.

the settings are for a lush chorus, a lush ambient verb and a setting for lead.

the UD Stomp is an 8 band delay, so we need two multidelay blocks to emulate it. Allan's three settings here require the delays to be completely independent and not feed back into each other, so we need to use the "band delay" in the axe and put two multidelays in parallel, like this...

UD_Delays.jpg

i've zipped up all six blocks HERE

they're in pairs, so use both blocks as per the layout pic above!

if you'd like to try some of his other settings, you can download the UD Stomp manual HERE

audio examples...

(i have crystals going in this patch as well)

Last edited:
One question. If you have two blocks in parallel like these, i heard that the overall volume of the patch increase a lot...and i have to lower the amp volume a lot, if not it will clipis it normal?

the overall level will not increase "a lot". it may increase very slightly. drop them in and see. if you bypass them to check, make sure the byp mode is set to "mute in". you will only get a large increase in volume if the mix level in a parallel block is set to less than 100%, because you're adding dry signal.

the overall level will not increase "a lot". it may increase very slightly. drop them in and see. if you bypass them to check, make sure the byp mode is set to "mute in". you will only get a large increase in volume if the mix level in a parallel block is set to less than 100%, because you're adding dry signal.

Thank you Simeon, i will check it, because i have a HUGE amount of overall volume when i use even 2 parallel fxs (even if bypassed my clip are always red when i play)

if you add a shunt in parallel, it will increase the overall volume of a preset by 6db. if you add an fx block in parallel with mix set to 0%, it will be like adding a shunt. parallel blocks should always have their mix level set to 100%, so no dry signal is passed through (you already have dry signal passing down the main line). use the level or input gain parameter to control the level of the effect. if you mute the block, change the bypass mode to mute in, or mute fx in, so no dry signal is passed when the block is bypassed. flangers, chorus, vibes etc etc should really be used in line (although some people don't), so just put delays and reverbs etc in parallel.

if you add a shunt in parallel, it will increase the overall volume of a preset by 6db. if you add an fx block in parallel with mix set to 0%, it will be like adding a shunt. parallel blocks should always have their mix level set to 100%, so no dry signal is passed through (you already have dry signal passing down the main line). use the level or input gain parameter to control the level of the effect. if you mute the block, change the bypass mode to mute in, or mute fx in, so no dry signal is passed when the block is bypassed. flangers, chorus, vibes etc etc should really be used in line (although some people don't), so just put delays and reverbs etc in parallel.

Thank you so much!!! Now i will check my bypass mode!!!!

I can't understand the difference in overall volume with the Bypass mode is MUTE IN or MUTE FX IN.....;(

I can't understand the difference in overall volume with the Bypass mode is MUTE IN or MUTE FX IN.....;(

MUTE IN –When the block is bypassed, its inputs are disconnected, silencing the dry immediately but allowing existing effect “tails” to ring. New signals are prevented from entering the effect until it is re-engaged.

MUTE FX IN – When the block is bypassed, the inputs to its internal Effect Processor are disconnected. This allows effect “tails” to ring and leaves the dry unaffected when the block is bypassed. The Dry is completely unchanged—LEVEL and BALANCE settings remain in effect.

MUTE IN –When the block is bypassed, its inputs are disconnected, silencing the dry immediately but allowing existing effect “tails” to ring. New signals are prevented from entering the effect until it is re-engaged.

MUTE FX IN – When the block is bypassed, the inputs to its internal Effect Processor are disconnected. This allows effect “tails” to ring and leaves the dry unaffected when the block is bypassed. The Dry is completely unchanged—LEVEL and BALANCE settings remain in effect.

also - when the effect is run at 100% wet, both of these modes behave as if they were the same....there's no audible difference. you only hear a difference when mix is less than 100%

Thank you, i read the manual, but i hadn't heard any difference in these 2 modes... but it's not the right thread...
Sorry Simeon!!! It's the wrong place to talk about it!!!!

also - when the effect is run at 100% wet, both of these modes behave as if they were the same....there's no audible difference. you only hear a difference when mix is less than 100%

Ok Simeon, now i got it!!!
Thanks again!

Nice! Have owned two UD stomps for years. Really liked this box. Still regret selling them sometimes. Can't wait to try them out. Want know how they compare to the real UD stomp.

Love that lead sound. I haven't listened to Holdsworth much in years, but it's probably my loss. Thanks for the work. I look forward to trying these out.

Back
Top Bottom