mini game : JP2C VS axe fx 3

which one is the real amp ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes . So for now Cliff won’t be jobless soon and the quest is not over 😅 . But for now the axe is the best modeler, copying an amp is cool, but with the axe you can do yours too .
It’s true that something flatten the sound in the axe , the sound is like a straight line , probably that is a global compression . Cygnus is more open sounding than the 15.01, but we probably need even more space in the sound . That’s probably not easy to do .
The attack too is different with the real head when you listen to the samples

There is like a sub bass or I don’t know . Cannot have it.
What happens when you lower the amp sim master volume? I would go by very small increments and see what the effect is. I would also play with impedance because they can make a big difference, and there's no guarantee the one used in axe fx matches whatever loadbox is used.

Last edited:
For now I have stopped testing, I tried with a smaller master volume and it was the same .
There is a quick ohmmff with a lot of pick attack and impact with the real head . John always talk about it in interviews . The sound is composed to this particular ohmmmf and agressive high at the same time, something 3 dimensional. It’s always hard to put words on sounds, even more when you are not English like me, but I understand what John means . And the fun thing is that the sound is super tight at the same time .

But don’t get me wrong the sim is already very great . In a mix bla-bla-bla you won’t tell the difference easily . Alone is another story . That’s why we will have the goldorak update soon, the one with pushed 30 hz frequencies 🤣🤣🤣

It really close all the characteristics to me are there and the same
the JP sounds just a bit fuller and slightly different pick attack
but i mean its very close
are you using the graphic
i remember Cliff mentioning the Mark EQ tapers were a bit diff
perhaps lower the master and look at the MK eq

But don’t get me wrong the sim is already very great . In a mix bla-bla-bla you won’t tell the difference easily . Alone is another story . That’s why we will have the goldorak update soon, the one with pushed 30 hz frequencies 🤣🤣🤣
Yea. Like with kemper and even some other units imo (even tho with modellers these comparisons are harder, you not having the specific amp).

I don't know if you've spoken to @SinMix . He's quite attentive to detail and maybe has some good idea of how to get closer.

I am not so much into mesa amps. BUT I can recall that it was a struggle to get this "big and tight" thing going on with axe fx without the mids going (somewhat) TS bonanza, drop it down like CK dancah.

BUT in my case lowering master vol (mesa amp sim) just a bit seemed to mostly do the trick. There was a point when it felt proper, and any higher = the response was quite different.

Last edited:
Master vol is generally the most important dial I check with axe fx. But ok, since you checked and it didn't get closer, just saying :)

I have the captor x as well and I find the wall of sound IRs to feel one notch “digital”. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the way I was tweaking things, but I find way more success just using someone else IRs who’ve captured them to a professional level.

it’s weird cause I find dialing in a cab way better through the two notes mobile app over wall of sound as well. They have some different options for “excitement” in the mobile app that isn’t on the plug-in. After a couple days of testing I just decided to run the amps straight to my interface with no processing and just slap one of my favourite IRs on the track, works extremely well!

I picked the second one as the amp because the bass is overhyped and the treble is dull which is exactly what an amp sounds like through Two Notes stuff.

One should note that the incorrect impedance curve of the Two Notes will exaggerate the pick attack, especially in the lower frequencies.

In general the test is flawed because the impedance curves used are very different. I could add a Torpedo impedance curve but I'd rather not support a product that is inherently inaccurate.

Last edited:
I picked the second one as the amp because the bass is overhyped and the treble is dull which is exactly what an amp sounds like through Two Notes stuff.

One should note that the incorrect impedance curve of the Two Notes will exaggerate the pick attack, especially in the lower frequencies.

In general the test is flawed because the impedance curves used are very different. I could add a Torpedo impedance curve but I'd rather not support a product that is inherently inaccurate.
Which loadbox do you recommend? Ox? Shure?

I have the captor x as well and I find the wall of sound IRs to feel one notch “digital”. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the way I was tweaking things, but I find way more success just using someone else IRs who’ve captured them to a professional level.

it’s weird cause I find dialing in a cab way better through the two notes mobile app over wall of sound as well. They have some different options for “excitement” in the mobile app that isn’t on the plug-in. After a couple days of testing I just decided to run the amps straight to my interface with no processing and just slap one of my favourite IRs on the track, works extremely well!
You can Load whatever irs you want in wall of sound hm .

You can Load whatever irs you want in wall of sound hm .
Yeah that’s handy for live use or noodling with headphones. But I’d rather record the raw amp tone to the DAW and apply my go to IRS on the track. That way if something is odd down the pipeline I can mess with different IRs per track.

Yes but they are all these “inaccurate things” that make the 2 notes + head sample better to my ears 😔 , it sounds bigger and punchier . I can probably do something in the axe for this but I can’t find how

the comparaison is unfair as with the 2 notes you play with the real thing so half of the job is done .
Before my captor purchase , I was looking for the fractal load box but it’s never available

I sold my LB2 some months ago because, as the comparison in the video shows, the Axe can be as good as it gets and much more than I could get with other gear so for me, it is digital (fractal) all the way.

Back
Top Bottom