mini game : JP2C VS axe fx 3

which one is the real amp ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I really like the results with both my axe fx3 and my Friedman -> captor -> axe (Ir + effects)
Both sound great but I wonder what could be the difference with an other loadbox using the same IR.
I hear so much good things about the Ox box.. it’s very tempting. But the price… 🤢

Yea. Like with kemper and even some other units imo (even tho with modellers these comparisons are harder, you not having the specific amp).

I don't know if you've spoken to @SinMix . He's quite attentive to detail and maybe has some good idea of how to get closer.

I am not so much into mesa amps. BUT I can recall that it was a struggle to get this "big and tight" thing going on with axe fx without the mids going (somewhat) TS bonanza, drop it down like CK dancah.

BUT in my case lowering master vol (mesa amp sim) just a bit seemed to mostly do the trick. There was a point when it felt proper, and any higher = the response was quite different.

hahaha, Here JP2C vs AXE FXII my old comparison. How test was made? - All info on my website.

http://www.sinmix.pl/2018/03/20/real-boogie-jp-2c-vs-usa-2c-fractal-axe-fxii/

Stay Metal!

I really like the results with both my axe fx3 and my Friedman -> captor -> axe (Ir + effects)
Both sound great but I wonder what could be the difference with an other loadbox using the same IR.
I hear so much good things about the Ox box.. it’s very tempting. But the price… 🤢
Ox Box uses the same inaccurate load as the Torpedo. The only accurate loads are the Fractal Audio LB-2 and the Suhr Reactive Load.

here is a new video , as I am in a "testing A/B mood"

sound 1 : JP2C - torpedo cab - soundcard - wall of sound
sound 2 : Axe FX 3 with just the amp block (jp2C yellow shred) soundcard - wall of sound with same IR

still dont have the sound of the real head yet with the axe . dont know what I need to tweak for this, I have tried many thing but ...
I think It's time to try the tonematch option .
edit : I have tried the tonematch option the result is even more different

This is a Tone Match using my guitar.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lt1ch207wwkxt3n/JP2C TM.wav?dl=0

Last edited:
ok you tonematch the second video , the sound is pretty muffled (even in the original sample)

can you tonematch the sound that begins at 24 sec , that the JP with the torpedo

Then if you can explain how do you proceed, maybe I am doing something wrong . I have watched leon's tutorial before doing it , I dont use the usb but a audio jack for the source .

ok you tonematch the second video , the sound is pretty muffled (even in the original sample)

can you tonematch the sound that begins at 24 sec , that the JP with the torpedo

Then if you can explain how do you proceed, maybe I am doing something wrong . I have watched leon's tutorial before doing it , I dont use the usb but a audio jack for the source .

Here's a Tone Match from 30 seconds onward.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vf5wj4xtn2vzg32/JP2C TM2.wav?dl=0

EDIT: I see you changed it to 24 seconds onward.

Except Leon’s video, did we have an « official » step by step tutorial for tone matching ? If we can have a IR capture tutorial too for the 3….
i got results but still not sure I do everything good

Still a difference but close
With which method do you plug your source ?
I plug my source into Input 4, and I also set the Reference Source to Input 4. Reference Channel and Local Channel are set to Sum L+R. Mode is set to Off-Line. I set the Averaging Time to 99.9. No Smoothing. When I play the reference source, I turn on "Start Reference" and I keep it on until the graph stops dancing, which is usually around 20 to 25 seconds before I turn it off. I do the same with "Start Local" for capturing the target. Keep in mind, you may need to tweak the Amp block slightly after the fact in some cases. If it's a little too bright, try adjusting the High Cut Frequency in the Amp block's Preamp section.

Last edited:
This one is interesting
I prefer the sound of the torpedo in a mix, way more ba*** …bass sorry
But maybe out of the mix the suhr is clearer … hm . just add some extra treble in the torpedo so

Back
Top Bottom