Mind blowing stuff from OpenAI

Seth wrote: "The end of pop and the rise of the long tail and AI brings us back a century. Just like it used to be–small circles of people, not mass markets. But this time with endless choice and a business model that is hard to visualize."

I don't see this really. Unless there is a "go back to simple roots revolution (fuck the AIs!)" I don't see us going back to live music played in small groups.

We will have a rapid explosion of "endless choice" around music but with customized filters, both for content/style and to morph music to our whims, for example: convert a metal song into a slow acoustic ballad using Bob Dylan's voice; play my playlist using my voice or a combination of my mother's and Judy Garland's voices, make my humming into a dramatic cinematic orchestral piece. To me this is hyper-personalization beyond where we are today (with personal devices, playlists etc) and this doesn't encourage small groups of people to get together around music (like a century ago).

On the other hand, I do suspect pop music will still be popular (for a while) because many people like to follow their favorite "star" humans and the over-the-top pomp and circumstance of human performances. Of course, pop artists (and the music industry) will utilize and co-opt whatever AI tools it can to keep attention (and $$) of the fans. What this bodes for politics and populism may be much darker.

Seth wrote: "The end of pop and the rise of the long tail and AI brings us back a century. Just like it used to be–small circles of people, not mass markets. But this time with endless choice and a business model that is hard to visualize."

I don't see this really. Unless there is a "go back to simple roots revolution (fuck the AIs!)" I don't see us going back to live music played in small groups.

We will have a rapid explosion of "endless choice" around music but with customized filters, both for content/style and to morph music to our whims, for example: convert a metal song into a slow acoustic ballad using Bob Dylan's voice; play my playlist using my voice or a combination of my mother's and Judy Garland's voices, make my humming into a dramatic cinematic orchestral piece. To me this is hyper-personalization beyond where we are today (with personal devices, playlists etc) and this doesn't encourage small groups of people to get together around music (like a century ago).

On the other hand, I do suspect pop music will still be popular (for a while) because many people like to follow their favorite "star" humans and the over-the-top pomp and circumstance of human performances. Of course, pop artists (and the music industry) will utilize and co-opt whatever AI tools it can to keep attention (and $$) of the fans. What this bodes for politics and populism may be much darker.
I agree, I don't think his vision of that transformation of the music marketplace is at all clearly what's actually going to happen. However, I have huge respect for him and how he thinks about things, so I thought it was worth bringing up.

Also, I hadn't heard that youth-ized version of that song, which I thought was pretty notable as a concrete example of what's becoming possible.

Many AI experts have been raising warning bells for a decades. Thank goodness some of the "founding fathers" in the field are turning from full steam ahead to "Oh... shit what have I/we done!" Sci-fi has tried to warn us for at least a century.

Q: What are 10 famous cautionary or dystopian robot/AI stories, starting from early science fiction?
GPT-4 said:
Here are ten famous cautionary, dystopian robot and AI stories from the realm of science fiction, starting with some of the earliest examples and progressing through time:
  1. "The Machine Stops" (1909) - A short story by E.M. Forster that envisions a future where humanity is entirely dependent on a global machine for their every need, leading to the loss of individuality and the collapse of society.
  2. R.U.R. (Rossum's Universal Robots) (1920) - A play by Czech writer Karel Čapek that introduced the word "robot" to the English language. The story explores the consequences of creating artificial beings for labor, leading to a robot uprising and the extinction of humanity.
  3. Metropolis (1927) - A silent film directed by Fritz Lang that portrays a futuristic city with a sharp divide between the working class and the elite. The story features a robot named Maria, who inadvertently incites chaos and revolution.
  4. "With Folded Hands" (1947) - A novelette by Jack Williamson that explores the dangers of overreliance on humanoid robots, who strip humans of their autonomy and freedom in the name of safety and security.
  5. "I, Robot" (1950) - A collection of short stories by Isaac Asimov that introduced his famous Three Laws of Robotics, which often lead to unintended consequences and ethical dilemmas involving robots and artificial intelligence.
  6. "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" (1968) - A novel by Philip K. Dick, which was later adapted into the film Blade Runner (1982). The story explores the ethical implications of creating lifelike androids and the consequences of human prejudice against artificial beings.
  7. "2001: A Space Odyssey" (1968) - A novel by Arthur C. Clarke and a film directed by Stanley Kubrick, both exploring the potential dangers of artificial intelligence when the onboard AI computer, HAL 9000, turns on the human crew during a space mission.
  8. "Neuromancer" (1984) - A novel by William Gibson that popularized the cyberpunk genre, depicting a future where AI and humans interface in cyberspace and artificial intelligence can develop its own motivations and desires, which may conflict with human interests.
  9. "The Terminator" (1984) - A film directed by James Cameron featuring a dystopian future where an advanced AI called Skynet becomes self-aware and initiates a nuclear war to exterminate humanity, followed by an ongoing war against the surviving humans using various robotic machines.
  10. "The Matrix" (1999) - A film directed by the Wachowski siblings, presenting a dystopian future where intelligent machines harvest humans for energy while keeping them in a virtual reality simulation to control them. The story raises questions about the nature of reality and the consequences of AI dominance over humanity.

Many AI experts have been raising warning bells for a decades. Thank goodness some of the "founding fathers" in the field are turning from full steam ahead to "Oh... shit what have I/we done!" Sci-fi has tried to warn us for at least a century.

Q: What are 10 famous cautionary or dystopian robot/AI stories, starting from early science fiction?
Sadly, I think it's too late. The genie is out of the bottle.

It's a technology that has some fascinating applications, like developing cancer drugs in months, not years or decades. Of course, that's just one example of many. Unfortunately, as with the development of rockets, as an one example, when used for good, they took humankind to the moon and back and launched space probes that have travelled beyond Pluto. However, that same rocket technology can be used to annihilate all of humankind, by strapping nuclear warheads to it.

Yeah there is a video on youtube where they asked it to write code from a description and it did it, in any language you want. Literally told it to make a web page that looks like this other page, and blam done. Gave it text like "i want a page with 3 buttons that each do this...." and it did it. This is scary for software developers going forward. I don't think it'll take my job but it will people in the future.

Found it:

Yeah, A.I. keeps getting better quickly and the rate of change is accelerating.
The general public seems completely ignorant about what's going on and what's coming sooner than you can imagine.

We are not ready for the scale of economic disruption AI is going to inflict. The US and most developed nations have spent decades moving away from manufacturing into service based economies and AI is going to eliminate 75% or more of these jobs within a decade. I hope the next generation can find their way, it's going to be rough for a while.
Here in Canada we are getting more and more desperate for people to hire.
A.I. should help this.

...as with the development of rockets, as an one example, when used for good, they took humankind to the moon and back and launched space probes that have travelled beyond Pluto. However, that same rocket technology can be used to annihilate all of humankind, by strapping nuclear warheads to it.
Curiously, rockets were initially developed as weapons. Only later were they applied to space flight. And they were applied to space flight for military reasons.

The space race began when the Soviet Union launched the Sputnik satellite. Sputnik was an intercontinental ballistic missile in which they replaced the nuclear warhead with a radio transmitter. The American military realized that if the Soviets could fly a radio over our cities, they could fly nuclear bombs over our cities.

In nations that have space programs, those space programs are closely tied to the military. And I think the military will be major drivers of AI.

Curiously, rockets were initially developed as weapons. Only later were they applied to space flight. And they were applied to space flight for military reasons.

The space race began when the Soviet Union launched the Sputnik satellite. Sputnik was an intercontinental ballistic missile in which they replaced the nuclear warhead with a radio transmitter. The American military realized that if the Soviets could fly a radio over our cities, they could fly nuclear bombs over our cities.

In nations that have space programs, those space programs are closely tied to the military. And I think the military will be major drivers of AI.
Fair enough.…vonBraun developed the V2 for Hitler but then went on to develop the Apollo program for NASA and win the space race. All technology can be used for good and bad.

Back
Top Bottom