Mind blowing stuff from OpenAI

For those who don't yet understand how language models work, I asked a language model...

Give a simple explanation of AI LMs and LLMs using the idea of the n-gram, going from a 1-gram to more complex models.
GPT-4 said:
AI Language Models (LMs) and Large Language Models (LLMs) are machine learning systems designed to understand, generate, and manipulate human language. They are trained on large amounts of text data and can perform various tasks, such as translation, summarization, and question-answering. To explain these models using the concept of n-grams, let's start by defining what an n-gram is and then see how language models progress from simple to more complex.

An n-gram is a sequence of n words or characters that appear together in a text. The n can vary, creating different levels of complexity:
  1. 1-gram (unigram): A single word or character, e.g., "apple," "dog," or "a."
  2. 2-gram (bigram): A sequence of two words or characters, e.g., "apple pie," "dog house," or "an."
  3. 3-gram (trigram): A sequence of three words or characters, e.g., "apple pie recipe," "dog house plans," or "and."
Now, let's see how language models progress from simple 1-grams to more complex models:
  1. 1-gram model: In this simple language model, words or characters are treated independently, with no consideration of their context or order in the text. The model can generate text based on the frequency of individual words or characters in the training data but lacks any understanding of grammar, syntax, or semantics.
  2. 2-gram model: This model takes into account pairs of consecutive words or characters, capturing some context and allowing for better predictions of the next word or character based on the previous one. However, it still has a limited understanding of longer phrases and more complex linguistic structures.
  3. 3-gram model and beyond: As the value of n increases, the language model captures longer sequences of words or characters, allowing for a better understanding of context, grammar, syntax, and semantics. However, the model's size and computational complexity also increase, making it more challenging to train and use.
Large Language Models (LLMs), such as GPT-3, go beyond simple n-gram-based approaches. They use advanced neural network architectures like the Transformer, which can capture even longer-range dependencies and more complex linguistic structures. These models are trained on vast amounts of text data and can generate coherent and contextually appropriate text, demonstrating a deep understanding of language.

In summary, AI Language Models progress from simple 1-gram models, which only consider individual words or characters, to more complex models that take into account longer sequences and context. Large Language Models like GPT-3 use advanced neural network architectures to capture even more complex linguistic structures, enabling them to generate human-like text.

And found this...

Last edited:
AI generated pizza commercial:

That is absolutely hysterical. "Knock knock who's there pizza magic!"

I teach high school AP Biology, and the other day I asked ChatGPT to write a reminder to my students in the style of Shakespeare about the Ch. 36 reading quiz coming up on Tuesday. Here's what it spit out:
  • On Tuesday morn, as dawn doth break the night, We students gather, hearts aflutter, light, For on this day, a challenge we must face, A quiz in AP Bio doth take place.
    Chapter thirty-six, the focus of our quest, Through pages dense, we strive to do our best, The inner workings of life's tapestry, In text profound, a labyrinth we see.
    Our minds do race, for time is of the essence, To grasp the threads of life's most grand procession, To understand the functions and the forms, Of cells and molecules, 'midst raging storms.
    With highlighters and pens, we venture forth, To capture knowledge, as we scribe its worth, The prose doth dance, entwining fact and thought, Each sentence filled with wisdom, dearly bought.
    The day arrives, and with it comes the test, Our hands do tremble, as we face the quest, Yet, armed with knowledge, we shall not despair, For in our hearts, the truth lies hidden there.
    So, let us conquer, fellow scholars true, This reading quiz, a feat we shall subdue, For in the end, what matters most is clear, The love of learning, which we hold so dear.

Maybe I'm too cynical or maybe this is completely obvious to everyone but me, but I doubt the spoken words were written by an AI.

"It's like family but with more cheese"? Smells like a human wrote that, don't think an AI did.

Or I'm wrong :)
You're wrong...

Listen carefully to the grammar in the whole thing.

If you learned to speak English by watching TV commercials, you'd say the same kind of things :)

You're wrong...

Listen carefully to the grammar in the whole thing.

If you learned to speak English by watching TV commercials, you'd say the same kind of things :)
Overall grammar maybe, or it's a human imitating an AI.

But "It's like family but with more cheese"?
Really doubt an AI came up with that, but what do I know.

Overall grammar maybe, or it's a human imitating an AI.

But "It's like family but with more cheese"?
Really doubt an AI came up with that, but what do I know.

Me: Write a funny, offbeat tv commercial voiceover script for a restaurant called Pepperoni Hug Spot. Include the phrase "It's like family but with more cheese" in it.
ChatGPT said:
[Scene 1: A family of pepperonis is hugging in their living room]
Voiceover: (Enthusiastically) Welcome to the Pepperoni Hug Spot, where every meal is like a warm embrace from your favorite Italian uncle!

[Scene 2: Waitstaff cheering and welcoming guests]
Voiceover: At Pepperoni Hug Spot, our food isn't just delicious, it's downright heartwarming! It's like family... but with more cheese!

[Scene 3: A close-up of a bubbling cheese pizza with a perfectly crispy crust]
Voiceover: (Whispering) Just listen to that crust! It's whispering "Ti amo!"

[Scene 4: Guests laughing and enjoying their meals]
Voiceover: Our menu is packed with mouthwatering options that'll make you feel like you're at a big Italian family reunion, even if you're not Italian!

[Scene 5: An animated map of Italy peppered with pepperoni]
Voiceover: (In a mock Italian accent) Our secret? We use only the finest, most huggable pepperoni imported from the snuggliest corners of Italy!

[Scene 6: A couple trying to hug a giant pepperoni that playfully slips away]

Voiceover: Just like a good hug, our pepperoni is always there to cheer you up and leave you feeling satisfied. But don't get too attached – they're slippery little fellas!

[Scene 7: A montage of people of all ages enjoying pizza, pasta, and other Italian dishes]

Voiceover: So gather 'round, bring your friends, family, or even that person you just met on the bus! Come on down to the Pepperoni Hug Spot, where food, hugs, and love come together in perfect harmony!

[Scene 8: The restaurant logo appears on screen, surrounded by a heart made of pepperoni]
Voiceover: (Winking) Pepperoni Hug Spot - It's amore with every bite! And remember... it's like family, but with more cheese!
Yeah, not very good or funny.

Me: Use much less verbose voiceovers for each scene. Just short whacky phrases.
ChatGPT said:
[Scene 1: A family of pepperonis hugging in their living room]
Voiceover: (Excitedly) Pepperoni love-fest!

Voiceover: Get hugged by flavor!

Voiceover: (Whispering) Cheesy whispers!

Voiceover: Italian party, no passport needed!

Voiceover: Snuggly pepperoni paradise!

Voiceover: Slippery hugs, tasty bites!
[Scene 7: A montage of people of all ages enjoying pizza, pasta, and other Italian dishes]

Voiceover: Foodie hugs for all!
[Scene 8: The restaurant logo appears on screen, surrounded by a heart made of pepperoni]
Voiceover: (Winking) Pepperoni Hug Spot - Family, but cheesier!

Me: Now use similar phrases that sound like a 5 year old
ChatGPT said:
[Scene 1: A family of pepperonis hugging in their living room]
Voiceover: (Excitedly) Yummy pepperoni cuddles!

Voiceover: Big flavor hugs!

Voiceover: (Whispering) Cheesy tickles!

Voiceover: Italian fun time, yay!

Voiceover: Snuggly pepperoni adventures!

Voiceover: Silly pepperoni hugs!

Voiceover: Happy food hugs!

Voiceover: (Winking) Pepperoni Hug Spot - Like family, but with more cheese, please!

Me: Write a funny, offbeat tv commercial voiceover script for a restaurant called Pepperoni Hug Spot. Include the phrase "It's like family but with more cheese" in it.

Yeah, not very good or funny.

Me: Use much less verbose voiceovers for each scene. Just short whacky phrases.

Me: Now use similar phrases that sound like a 5 year old
Yeah like I said, a human wrote that line.

I bet ai won't spit that out of you don't include that exact phrase in the prompt.

To take it up a notch: the competitive race to AI capture of market share and attention-share, the stealing of identities, hyper-siloing, adaptive persuasion, the automated hacking of systems, and the manufacture of fake reality is here. Of the 30+ papers/videos I've looked at on AI safety, this is the most startling.

Tristan Harris and Aza Raskin (of Social Dilemma and podcast Your Undivided Attention):

That was excellent.
Scary.

Back
Top Bottom